Old 10-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Day 7

Well not so much happend today, all pulleys, AC compressor, alternator and power steering is off the engine.
Then same with the body mounts, no problems with the bolts, I lifted the body 4 inches of the frame.

The acid has started to work..

Old 10-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And yes, got a couple of packages from Inline tube today.

Some small parts

And a complete set of tubing, fuel brake and vapor lines and new parking brake cables.

And then the American packing, it does cost me a fortune.. this is the second box, under half full, why could then not put the parts in the big box ??? Beats me..

Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like Christmas at your house.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

Nice progress getting your car to look JUST LIKE MINE!!!!!!!

The rust you show is the same that I have had. For a vert, it is surprising that there is so little after 40 years.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I had a little X-mas feelings, allways nice to receive hard packages

There is almost no rust, I feel pretty lucky, but I am also happy that I started on it now, 2-3 years more and it would have been a problem.
Ohh please post a picture of yours, allways nice to have a reference to work towards

Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Day 8

Today I got the rolling frame out

Old 11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty dirty after 40 years

Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Then to some markings and numbers

The driveshaft

Frame

Distrubutor

Carb

Transmission

P R Behind the tube

Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are flat getting after it!

Your last pictures, make me wonder if the color of the two letters stenciled on the original turbo 400 trans (in your case a PR)...whether they always match the color on the Turbo 400 trans tag? I noticed both are turquoise.

A few years ago, i sold a PQ out of a '70 Trans Am, it's tag was silkscreened pink, I cleaned its case fairly well, but it had been rebuilt before, & had no remnant of a stenciled ID code.. My GT-37's original PQ has lost its silkscreened color on the tag, I need to clean its case well & see if any traces of big two letter code

Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not seen enough of them to say, here is a better picture of the tag

Old 11-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not so flat, 4-5 hours a day only Hard to do more when you are alone.

But I will slow down soon, just get the engine and transmission out, I am really curious regarding the condition of the engine and how much work it needs.

I will also order a posi unit next week and that will take some time to get.

What do you guys use to clean aluminum ? I am thinking of the transmission, would like to see how good I can get it before I decide to use Eastwoods Aluma blast on it.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Great pics, really enjoying watching the progress.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

Very informative pictures and the car appears to be very solid. Surprised you are doing a body off as for some reason I thought it was going to be a body on cosmetic job since the car was so original and clean. No matter, the results will be stunning, I'm sure. Mine will be body on(even with the rust issues I'm tackling) as it will be a driver. I've heard from most that after a body off the 'driver' aspect of thier car diminishes greatly due to the effort and preservation of making it so nice. What is your goal and intention? I'm amazed on how quickly the car tore down(and jealous). Pretty fun when you get into the 'zone' and it's going well. I too will be watching the progress and updates. Mike

Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is your goal and intention, Darn good question Mike.

First of all so do I not think that I will get a car like this to restore ever again, not to bad to start with pretty straight forward, more or less original and rare.

I have done several cars in the past, mostly US made for my self and others, but the goal has allways been to make some money on them, this is not a goal on this one ( if the price is right everything is for sale, but I do not think anyone will pay what I want for it, but please come with an offer )

I guess what did trigger me was my last restauration, a -73 Eldorado vert, bought with the intention to fix it up and earn some money on it, it was sold in the very upper price range here in Norway (40,000 USD give or take a little) and the new owner took an insurance inspection on it through the american car assosiation here (Amcar) they have a 1 to 5 scale where 5 is a driveable wreck and one is perfect, most cars are 4 to 3 on that scale, the Eldo was a very high 2, the inspector said that it was one of the best eldo's he had seen in Norway .

So then I started to think what I could do if I did put my heart and soul into a project, I have never taken a car to a show to have it judged and I have never got any recognition for the work I have done (Except from they buyers I have sold a car to) so when I got the lemans I thought why not, let's do this once and do it right.

So when I am done I will take it to a couple of show's to see what happends and then just enjoy it, as long as I own it it will never be a garage keept car, it will be used, I think that a car that is just sitting still will die and that will not happend to my car.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Peje, du har ikke åpnet for og motta mail via PY forum så jeg får ikke svart deg.

Uansett, alle boltene løsnet greit, de 4 bak innerskjermene satte jeg inn med WD 40 noen timer før jeg løsnet dem, men som sakt, jeg var heldig og alt gikk greit.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I cleaned it as good as I could today

The PR stamping actually says 2PR

Then I took the engine and transmission out of the frame

And that is about it

By the way did the original waterpump come with dual bolt pattern ?

Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And that was the end of day 9..

Now I will have a couple of busy days comming so there will not be much happening to the Lemans, but there is not so much to take apart either, only the rear axle and the front and rear suspension which was taken down just after I bought the car so there is only some detailing missing.

I guess the next thing to do is tearing down the engine so I can see what it needs and start to order parts.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Peje, du har ikke åpnet for og motta mail via PY forum så jeg får ikke svart deg.

Uansett, alle boltene løsnet greit, de 4 bak innerskjermene satte jeg inn med WD 40 noen timer før jeg løsnet dem, men som sakt, jeg var heldig og alt gikk greit.
I agree

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok ok ok No secrets here...

This guy Peje sent me a mail through PY asking some questions about the body mount bolts, just if I had any problems with them and I did answer him that I did not.

I did try to answer throug PYs email but he has blocked it so I did answer here in Norwegian (Peje is from Sweden almost the same as Norwegian except for the meatballs)

Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi! Well,they have a lot of oil,we have SAAB(soon owned by China) and Volvo(also owned by China).Luckily,a lot of american cars in Sweden(and Norway).Anyway,keep up the good work Loffen! Great pictures.It`s even harder for you than me to restore this kind of car in Norway compared to Sweden.The cost between us are huge and I`ll think that the americans would be shocked over the restoration cost in Europe,don`t you agree?

PS: Sorry for wrong spelling of words,just have my school english.