THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hail storm

A bad storm came through my neighborhood this evening, with golf ball size hailstones. The leaves on the trees got pretty shredded. My neighbor had his car parked outside, his windshield is cracked in four places and it's anyone's guess how many hail dents are in the body. I hope my roof survived, but I suppose I better get it checked out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is not a fun experience. Hope the damage isn't too bad. We once had to have our roof shingles replaced after a hailstorm. Our homeowners' insurance actually covered most of it which is not true for every hazard. Damage to cars would just suck. Paintless dent repair industry probably lives off those storms but I have a hard time understanding how it works if a dent stretches the metal.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well you can hope, and you can get up there to inspect and take photos for the Insurance to react, if needed. Hope the roof is all good for decades.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Paintless dent repair industry probably lives off those storms but I have a hard time understanding how it works if a dent stretches the metal.
I got caught out in a hailstorm last summer with my daily driver, a 1986 BMW M535i. There's a paintless dent repair guy here in town who was actually trained at the BMW factory in Germany and worked there for ten years before coming to the US. He did a fabulous job on the dents, they just disappeared and it only took him a couple hours. It is wizardry.

I'll see what I can see of the roof from the ground, but my house is pretty tall and I'm too old and decrepit to try climbing up there anymore so I'll call the roofing company that did the shingling job and have them come out to take a look. The shingles are heavy duty architectural style and they're not very old so I'm hopeful there's no damage, but better to be safe than sorry. I imagine the roofers will be pretty busy for a while so it may take some time to get an inspection. In the meantime I imagine there will be storm chasers descending on the neighborhood and knocking on my door that I'll have to chase away.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hail is the worst. We had baseball+ sized hail about 5 years ago. Totaled my car, $10K damage to my wife's SUV, new roof, several broken windows, new fence, etc. Summer storms in NC are no joke.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 08-12-2023, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We went through that about 20 years ago. The insurance check was almost $30 grand. Two cars, roof, patio furniture, gutters and a galvanized screened porch were heavily damaged. Lemon sized hail.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. Havent seen hail since I dont know when. Weather 'person' keeps saying hail possible. You guys in my thoughts and prayers.Just rain about daily now. Dry early summer.Corn around me is high.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart, most definitely get your roof checked. It may not be obvious but I would be surprised if you didn't have some damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had our first significant hail storm in years last month. It did about$1,000 in damage to both my Forester and my wife’s new Tiguan. No roof damage; thank God for metal roofs.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Wow. Havent seen hail since I dont know when. Weather 'person' keeps saying hail possible. You guys in my thoughts and prayers.Just rain about daily now. Dry early summer.Corn around me is high.
Corn around here is 7-8 ft tall, Bob. The farmers are going to have a good year.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2023, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Metal roofs ( rooves ) seem to be the wise choice in AL for wind and rain reasons. Perhaps for decade.

Johnstown PA has an Ahmish roof tesm that puts metal roofs on existing shingled homes in a day! Sometimes 2-day where day 1 involves screwing-down 1x2s. Day-2 hoost and screws the metal sheets and trim-out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my roof replaced about 7 years ago due to hail damage. 53 squares of shingles on a 9/12 pitch roof and 12 square on my 9/12 shop with a 4/12 shed roof on one side. A team of Mexicans started the tear off at 9am, took an hour for lunch and finished both roofs, cleaned up and were gone by 5pm! I use to be a roofer, but if I was doing this job I would have figured a week at least!

Old 08-12-2023, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went through one myself, maybe nickel size hail, years ago. Didn’t last long, maybe a minute or two.

Your roof may appear to be fine…the test will be next time it rains, lol. Then you’ll find out if there’s damage, like I did. Just so happens that didn’t occur for a few weeks for me, new roof time. My insurance, liberty mutual, covered it 100% no questions asked.

I was amazed at the quickness in which the door to door roofing companies canvased the neighborhood. I dare say it was within hours of storm ending they were banging on doors.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hail can be very hard on standard and architectural shingles. Sometimes the damage is pretty subtle but it will lead to premature failure.

Old 08-12-2023, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

In the meantime I imagine there will be storm chasers descending on the neighborhood and knocking on my door that I'll have to chase away.
Yep. They`ll decend like vultures.

Old 08-12-2023, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And leave a bunch of nails in the street...lol

Old 08-18-2023, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to follow up on my original post - I had a guy from the roofing company out this morning to inspect my roof, and he said it was okay. I have architectural 40 year shingles which probably saved me, they're more heavy duty than the regular old three tab style. Plus, I have a pretty steep roof (10/12 pitch) so the hailstones had a more glancing blow than if it were a flatter roof. He did find a few dings in the rain gutters, but they aren't visible from ground level and don't affect their functionality. So, I dodged a bullet.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Happy Birthday!

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The good report from the roofing guy was a nice birthday present.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 04:10 PM
Senior Chief

I was in the 1998 tornado-producing storm in Glasgow KY, the hail was nearly softball size. The dealership where I was training - had about half the cars destroyed. My 95 grand am company car had everything replaced except for the quarters and roof. I saw one guy get hit squarely in the head, knocking him out and landing on his face - heading out to grab a jag convertible that had just been traded in. He spent about a week in the hospital.

I now drive a Civic that was in a hailstorm in FL. Better fuel economy, according to Mythbusters!

Hail sucks.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post: