Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM

I do have a question. The engine in our GTO is a 400, built for high horsepower. We have Doug's headers and Butler poly motor mounts. Our headers are up against the frame on the passenger side. It seems like the motor is low on the pass side by about 1/4-1/2". Please take a look at these pictures and let me know if you see anything wrong. You are looking at the front of the engine from underneath. The plastic is covering the bottom end, where the oil pan should be. I read somewhere in this thread that someone shimmed the engine on one side. Please advise on how you did the shim.

Do you see how the factory mount to the frame is about 1/2" higher on the drivers side than the passenger side?

Old 03-25-2016, 02:46 PM

I do have a question, we purchased a set of poly engine mounts for our customer’s 67 GTO from Butler. Please take a look at the attached pictures and let me know if this looks correct. We have the Doug’s headers making contact with the frame on the passenger side. The engine seems to sit 1/2” low on that side. Please advise. In the pictures you are looking from the front of the car looking at the front of the engine.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let the rewire begin! Out with the old....

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 03-29-2016, 06:54 PM

Does anyone make a custom engine-turned dash & console insert/applique for a 67 GTO?
Thanks
Jeff

Old 03-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintech View Post
Does anyone make a custom engine-turned dash & console insert/applique for a 67 GTO?
Thanks
Jeff
Like an aluminum swirl insert?

You have several options when it comes to dash boards.

-For the dash itself the factory option is to get the custom aluminum insert or do the woodgrain to work in a stock dash or a repop stock dash. I believe Ames sells all this stuff?

-The custom option is to get one of those Covans Classis dashes that's all cut to fit aftermarket gauges. They can be had in carbon fiber, black or aluminum I believe?

-For gauges you can go factory and have stockers reebuilt or go with a stock rally gauge setup

-Or you can go custom and do what I did. Use speedhut gauges and fab up your own plate to work with the stock dash, or you can buy a Dakota Digital bolt in setup.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
Old 03-30-2016, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the reply! This morning I finally located what I was looking for. It is in the Ames GTO catalog. Swirled aluminum dash insert $149

Old 03-30-2016, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Engine Turned" Insert avail; through several vendors.
http://snsclassics.com/haneline_gauges.html

Old 03-30-2016, 05:41 PM

Thank you Jeff, had not seen that option. They offer satin stainless as well, hmmm...

Old 04-13-2016, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where did you get that steering wheel with the Pontiac arrow head?

Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Where did you get that steering wheel with the Pontiac arrow head?
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=727455

Hey Tim. Sorry about the delay. I made a thread on it a while back. That steering wheel has all kinds of horn button options, Pontiac being one of them. I think it was an extra 20 bucks.

- Build Thread
Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

**Edit I just went back a few pages and saw that iv'e covered the watts and the tank install. I'm going to leave this though since there's some additional info now and I dont feel like retyping it out. Ill update more later

I just realized I haven't updated this in quite some time. Ill update over the next few days as I get a chance.

It's been a busy couple months. Iv'e had a lot going on with the car. I finished the exhaust, added a watts link, rewired the entire car with an American Autowire rewire update kit, added a tanks inc efi tank, a performer RPM I had laying around, and FiTech 600 EFI. I'm pretty impressed with the FiTech and tanks combo and I'm very impressed with FiTechs customer service. Ive had a couple little issues and 0 problems getting someone on the phone within a few minutes. I did 1100 miles of driving, 4 20 minute road course runs, and about 8 or so auto X runs at Midwest Musclecar Challenge in Indiana just last weekend. I had a total of 0 issues.

The tanks inc setup went in easy. The powder coat was very nice and the price was right. I opted for the 400LPH pump since ill be upgrading engines hopefully by next season. My only complaint was that the straps weren't powder coated. With the advice from a friend I canned the rubber gaskets, made some cork ones and sealed it up tight with aviation sealer. Apparently the leaking rubber gaskets is a common problem with the tanks setup.

In the picture of the pump and the sending unit you may notice 2 mistakes. The first one was that I didn't cut the return tube up high enough and it wouldn't go in the hole. No big deal. That was fixed in 5 minutes. The second issue I didn't notice, was that I have my sending unit float on backwards. My gas gauge was reading full at empty and empty at full. Don't do this. Its annoying. Fortunately my speedhut gas gauge was able to take car of the problem with a few pushes of a button but if you had a stock gauge you would be stuck fixing it.

- Build Thread

Last edited by Nicks67GTO; 05-24-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The re-wire was pretty straight forward. It was time consuming but American Autowire's directions are fantastic and I fired the car off without a single issue. As a disclaimer im an industrial electrician but i think if you have any kind of electrical knowledge this would be fairly easy but again...very time consuming to do right. Oh and buy their crimpers. I completely over looked this part of it and ended up scrambling with some half assed crimpers that got the job done but made it difficult. I also wish I would have thought ahead and done a nice little delphi connector for the back of my dash but again time was limited. that will happen next time it comes out for sure.

I yanked all the old stuff out, installed the new fuse panel, and wired away! I kept all the wiring hidden on the back of the engine, and under the fenders. I really hate sloppy wiring.

- Build Thread
Old 05-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hood hinges

nice work...I was noticing that it looks like you have eddie motorsports hood hinges. I'm considering buying those for my 67 because my stock hinges seem to hold the back of the hood up just enough to be annoying. They didn't do that when the car was first completed. It's not the adjustment because if you push the back of the hood down it stays until you open the hood again. Did you experience a similar problem and if so did the new hinges fix it? Thanks

Old 05-25-2016, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
nice work...I was noticing that it looks like you have eddie motorsports hood hinges. I'm considering buying those for my 67 because my stock hinges seem to hold the back of the hood up just enough to be annoying. They didn't do that when the car was first completed. It's not the adjustment because if you push the back of the hood down it stays until you open the hood again. Did you experience a similar problem and if so did the new hinges fix it? Thanks
I have 2 opinions of Eddie motorsports hinges.

-My personal opinion is that it's a nice product and well made. I've had mine for 2 years with 0 issues. They also cleaned up the issues you described about hood alignment.

-My 2nd hand opinion is that they suck and you should buy the Ring Bros hinges when they go on sale. I've seen a lot of failures on these hinges and a good friend had a set fail, gouge his fender and Eddie Motorsports treated him like ****.

The hinges have worked well for me though.

- Build Thread
Old 05-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good info thank you...I didn't know Ring Bros were selling hinges, I'll have to check them out. When you say failure are we talking they broke at a pivot point or what?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Good info thank you...I didn't know Ring Bros were selling hinges, I'll have to check them out. When you say failure are we talking they broke at a pivot point or what?
Love my ring brother hinges. Great guys to boot...honest as the day is long

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok lets talk about the EFI a little bit. I decided to replace my quadrajet. It ran well and got great mileage but there were some quirky things I couldn't tune out of it. Furthermore On a speed stop challenge last year in StPaul I was killing the car every time I hammered the brakes. If I was staying with a completely street oriented car, I would keep the Q jet. Those of you who trash Qjets need to do a little learning about them. They are great carbs. I had under 100 bucks in it and it ran like a top but it was time to move on for me.

Enter the FiTech. So far I'm extremely happy with this system. The price is right at 995.00, its self contained which means there 4 wires to hook up an O2 sensor in the header and a temp sensor. Its internally regulated so there's no goofy hoses everywhere, just a feed and return and so far FiTech's customer service has been fantastic. I had a couple little issues getting it going but there were quickly resolved by Bryce at FiTech. I will tell you that the front "vacuum" port is not a vacuum port, it's a boost reference port and will throw the entire system into an extremely rich condition that will not tune out and have your entire house, garage, and possibly neighborhood smelling like raw fuel. Don't hook your PCV valve up to that. I have most of my wiring, fuel lines and vacuum lines hidden under the intake or ran off the back of the unit and under the distributor, you can hardly tell there's EFI under there and that's the way I like it. The car theme has always been aiming to leave the 1967 feel and I think the FiTech gets that done. I also decided to mount the handheld up under the dash. i had a toolmaker buddy whip me up an insert for the holder part of the handheld mount, and mounted it under the dash with a 1/4x20 bolt. It works great and it's out of the way.

There's a few little quirks I need to tune out but its ran very well so far. I know I mentioned above that last weekend I ran it for 1100 miles, 4 20 minute sessions at Putnam Park and 8 or so Auto X runs at Midwest musclecar challenge with a total of 0 issues. I have a bunch of pics of the throttle body and I know a lot of people are interested in this setup so if you want pictures or have questions feel free to ask

- Build Thread
Old 05-28-2016, 02:52 PM

Was there a meaningful difference in fuel economy between the Qjet and the TBFI? Both being wet flow I would expect a well-setup carb to be pretty dang close to a closed loop O2 feedback setup.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendutro View Post
Was there a meaningful difference in fuel economy between the Qjet and the TBFI? Both being wet flow I would expect a well-setup carb to be pretty dang close to a closed loop O2 feedback setup.
I honestly haven't calculated it yet and mileage wasn't really why I bought it though I am hoping for a bit of an increase. My Qjet got 16.5-16.8mpg on the few interstate trips I checked it at. That was running 75-80mph. If the FiTech unit does that well ill be happy. If it does better ill be very impressed. One of these days ill check it.

- Build Thread
Old 05-29-2016, 02:22 AM
Senior Chief

Pearl Jam on the radio?