Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal
The motor looks great! Nice job. I love the valve covers.

Where did you find the water neck and, do they have them in other colors?
Thanks. I got the water neck from BOP Engineering. It is made by CSR. They have them in red, blue and clear anodized. Other colors may be available, but I am not sure. BOP is great to deal with.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 09-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn
Nice job, love the valve covers. Did you AN fittings leak at the carb?
The AN fittings have not leaked at the carb as of yet. Only had fuel to it since yesterday though. I will keep an eye on them. Has this been a problem?

Old 09-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker
400+ horses feels great under the hood, doesn't it!

Loose the Edelbrock decal on the firewall, it makes for a cheesy looking distraction from an otherwise well executed and detailed installation.
Yes Brian the horses do feel fantastic. As far as the sticker goes. Thanks for pointing out the only thing that bothers me about this project (except maybe for the master cylinder that I never painted and is now covered with surface rust) I am about as anal as they come! I normally would not do such a thing as I also think an engine compartment full of stickers looks cheesy. I only did this because I used to have a really cheesy dual oil filter relocation set up mounted there. I read about how bad the type I had was so I removed it and just went back to the factory set up. However now I have three very large holes in the fire wall and until I decide how to take care of them I figured I would use the smallest of all the stickers I received with all my parts to cover them up for now.

Any suggestions as to how to cover them up?
Any ideas on how to remove the light rust on the master without taking it out of the car so I can mask and paint it?

Old 09-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Fill the three screw holes in the firewall with some button head allen screws, paint the heads of the screws black.

Leave the rust on the master cylinder, wipe it down with some acetone or lacquer thiner. Brush paint it with some flat black POR-15, it flows out nice.

If you use a conventional paint for the master cylinder simply wire brush most of the rust off using a small stainless steel bristle wire brush sold at welding supply stores and such, they're about the size of a large tooth brush.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt8bird
You say its a 400? With 87 cc Edelbrocks? What is the combination? I am sort of curious since I have a 400 with non ported #16s and have a set of 87 cc Edelbrocks on my shelf and have wondered how much gain I could expect. I am doing 12.60 with the non ported heads. I would think compression would be about 8.5-1 with aluminum 87s which would be way low. Anyway, BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks sixt8bird,

It is a 1973 .030" over zero decked 400 block with .039" head gaskets and 87cc E-heads and my calculations have CR at about 9.1:1. Competition Cams custom ground hydraulic roller cam 224/230 duration @ .050" .528/.565 lift with a lobe seperation angle of 112 degrees installed straight up. Harland sharp 1.5 ratio roller rockers. Double roller timing set with billet gears. Ported 87cc E-Heads with ceramic coated R.A.R.E round port manifolds (2.5" outlet) their mandrel bent down tubes into 2.5" flowmaster system with crossflow muffler. Port matched RPM intake with Demon 750 cfm manual secondary carb fed by a Carter 120 gph mechanical fuel pump. MSD pro billet vacuum advance distributor, Blaster coil and 6AL Box. Mcloud steel flywheel, 12" clutch disk and pressure plate. Richmond Gear ST-10 (2.43 1st gear) into a stock 8.5" 10 bolt posi rear with the factory 3.23 gears. BFG 245/60/15's.

Obviously with this much torque these tires do not hook up, but it sure is fun! It has tear your head off acceleration even with the 3.23's. I have no performance numbers as of yet. I'll be getting to a dyno that a friend of mine owns after my hernia surery on Sept 13th (with some time to heal of course) and will post some numbers at that time. This is strictly a performance street car. Will most likely never see the track.

I went with the 87cc E-heads because the 400 short block is relatively new and is what I have. Next summer I am planning on getting a 455 short block from P-Dude and swapping all my goodies over onto it(except maybe for the cam, may be too mild for a 455). A Moser 12 bolt rear (not sure what gears yet. any suggestions are welcome) and a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed overdrive trans. I agree that I am giving up some performance with the 87cc with the 400 as opposed to the 72cc, but I think that most would agree that 72cc E-heads on a 455 would not be ok for the street with pump gas.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man
Fill the three screw holes in the firewall with some button head allen screws, paint the heads of the screws black.

Leave the rust on the master cylinder, wipe it down with some acetone or lacquer thiner. Brush paint it with some flat black POR-15, it flows out nice.

If you use a conventional paint for the master cylinder simply wire brush most of the rust off using a small stainless steel bristle wire brush sold at welding supply stores and such, they're about the size of a large tooth brush.
Thanks b-man, great ideas!

Old 09-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

also may try those plastic body shop type plugs that just "push-in".

Old 09-11-2005, 04:52 PM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Pass everything but a gas station!!!!!!

very very nice I wish I could hear it run!!!!!!

SR66

https://www.robharleydetailer.com/

Old 09-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Senior Chief

Really Really SWEEEET!

Old 09-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Suspended

ok ,im dying to ask?? what kind of waterpump bolts are those?? Fantastic motor,
but again ive got to ask, are my eyes desieving me or don,t you have the front oil pan bolts going thru timing chain cover?? i see daylight to the floor in your picture?? Once again one awesome motor!! How about where did you get the pulleys from???

Old 09-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser
ok ,im dying to ask?? what kind of waterpump bolts are those?? Fantastic motor,
but again ive got to ask, are my eyes desieving me or don,t you have the front oil pan bolts going thru timing chain cover?? i see daylight to the floor in your picture?? Once again one awesome motor!! How about where did you get the pulleys from???
Thanks for the compliment 67cruiser.

The water pump bolts as well as many others are all from a 12 point stainless ARP Pontiac engine bolt kit.

I do have the 4 forward most oil pan bolts secured into the timing cover. The open holes you see on the bottom of the timing cover are at the end of, for lack of a better term "ears" on both sides that extend out from where the oil pan bolts to the cover (best seen on photo #2). I have no idea what they are for. Maybe someone who knows will chime in and enlighten us.

The pulleys are from a March sepentine belt conversion kit for Pontiac. Along with the altenator and P.S pump. Available through Summit.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice!

Old 09-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

impressive...i really like the march pulley setup..in never looks good in ads...but looks great on your motor...you should send them a pic and they should use your motor for ads...and comp you some stuff...

Old 09-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My guess is you will pull around a 12.8 ET as is !

Im almost bet you are dam near giddy at this point .

The install looks killer! Good Job.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Horses?

Forget the horses...imagine the torque! Rarely do I see a set-up that has all the right parts. You apparently did your homework. Enjoy!!! You deserve it.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr

well, i think i will never see a motor like yours (from my eyes) in my country

you make us dream

Old 09-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about the upper rad hose to the waterneck? I have the same neck, still in the package, as I wasn't sure it would work at the angle it sit's at. And it was pricey too...
Let me know, how you like the Demon.
Engine looks very nice.
Stealing idea's.....

Old 09-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Suspended

oooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooo shiney!!

absolutely beautiful engine man!

good luck on your surgery tomorrow!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NICE!! Quick question, I see you run the R/A amnifolds, what did you do for header pies, and or exhaust??
Also, how close is your oil filter to the R/A manifold?
Thanks a bunch and glad to see another poncho back on the streets!

Old 09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Looking good !
Let's get ready to rumble :-)