Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-26-2000, 12:17 AM
Senior Chief

I checked the clearance of the mains on my block just back from the shop and they are at 0.003". (Does this mean that there is 0.0015 on either side of the crank journal)? Is this too much?

What are the potential problems of too much clearance? I know oil pressure suffers a bit but is it by a significant amount? I will be using the Melling 54D pump, 60lbs pressure and I have the stock full length windage tray. Since this is a 3.25" main journal wouldn't the "extra" oil have a beneficial cooling effect?

Also, suggestions for a good baffled oil pan would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Old 06-26-2000, 12:17 AM
Senior Chief

I checked the clearance of the mains on my block just back from the shop and they are at 0.003". (Does this mean that there is 0.0015 on either side of the crank journal)? Is this too much?

What are the potential problems of too much clearance? I know oil pressure suffers a bit but is it by a significant amount? I will be using the Melling 54D pump, 60lbs pressure and I have the stock full length windage tray. Since this is a 3.25" main journal wouldn't the "extra" oil have a beneficial cooling effect?

Also, suggestions for a good baffled oil pan would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Old 06-27-2000, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine are at .003to .0035 on rods and mains. so far so good. I get a little rocker tap on first start after it sets over night but I have 20psi idle oil presure indicated on the dash. it quites down after a few seconds and gets quieter after it warms up although I don't think its all from the clearances. My engine shop really felt I should keep the clearances as they were to cool the bearings. I asked almost the same question here a few months back. Most reccamend you run .002 to .0025 and yes you devide that number in half to determine the clearance on either side of the journal. .003 would be .0015 and .0015. do a search for clevit bearings they reccamend .001 per inch of bearing journal +.0005 for heavy duty applications. The low end spec in the pontiac manual says .0005 upper is .0025 ? I think you can add .001 to both of thise numbers and be ok. .0005 is not enough for sure. This is a topic with a ton of ideas and thoughs You will have to sort through all the info you can find and really decide for yourself.

Old 06-27-2000, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can highly recommond Canton (203-481-9943) oil pans. They make a very good 6 gt. road race pan. Features triple trap door baffles and 2 runners, removable windage tray, temp. fitting & magnetic drain plug. Fits all popular chassis except G.T.O.'s & subjec to clearance problems with some stock exhaust.
They also make a stock replacement type with a full slosh baffle.
I have been told that Milodon also makes good oil pans.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE