Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2022, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default What should it be running?

I bought a 65 GTO at a swap meet awhile ago from a guy who was flipping it from the previous owner. He didnt have any details about the work done to the engine other than its a 68 400 (verified) with a 455 crank #16 heads and Harland Sharp roller rockers. Engine had only been run on a dyno before being put in car. I bought it needing wiring, plumbing and race set up. The engine has a Torker II intake, Wilson tapered combo 1" aluminum spacer, Holley 750 double pumper (#74/#84). It has Hedman headers with 1.75" pipe and 3" collectors into a 3 foot long head pipe and turn downs (no mufflers) from previous owner. Also has a Holley mechanical and electric (red) fuel pump along with a MSD 6 AL box and Blaster 2 coil. Tranny is a TCI TH400 with a TCI 10" 3500 stall converter. Moser spool rear end with 3.90 gear and M/T slicks 26 x 10. Front shocks are 90/10, rear 70/30 and a PS rear air bag at 10 lbs. The car has been down the track about a dozen times (my only experience on a track also), I launch off a transbrake at 3500-4000 rpm and shift at 5500 the car has no traction issues. The best time so far is 1.672 / 7.705 @88.80 / 12.163 107.92 at basically sea level (South FL) but has run a similar 1/8 mile at Knoxville Dragway in TN (1,000 ft elev.) where I live now. Total timing is 36 degrees and cylinder compression is 160 lbs +/- 5 lbs on all cylinders. I do still have front stabilizer bar on the car but will be taking that off soon.

I know not having knowledge about cam and headwork, if any, makes this a tough question but does initial performance before any tuning sound about right or slow for a starting point? Any guess about what size cam it might have? What is weak spot or limitation of combo?

Thanks for any thoughts