Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-11-2021, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Option 3 swap out those heads for snag heads, have low compression get yourself a turn cam and a 88 MM turbo and run 900 HP at low boost and drive your car anywhere on pump gas !
Then you can put a 3.08 gear in it and enjoy the car and still go faster than you’ve ever gone before

I have a RAIV and a RAV dual quad set up they are both puppies compared to my turbo car ! And my turbo car is far more forgiving to drive anywhere . It’s been together forever and not even a plug change!

My turbo car is also built in a budget
That’s far less than the other two

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 10-11-2021, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdiesel View Post
Are you suggesting The new CNC chamber in round or D port?
If it were me I would run round ports, all about the power in my book.
I have to use a smaller brake booster for my High Ports so there is that.
Turbo would be cool, never done one though.
Have some 4X 455 heads that would work.
Doing a high effort pump gas High Port 461 right now. All the bells and whistles.
Yes I got the screen shots of the E heads off Edelbrocks website.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Option 3 swap out those heads for snag heads, have low compression get yourself a turn cam and a 88 MM turbo and run 900 HP at low boost and drive your car anywhere on pump gas !
Then you can put a 3.08 gear in it and enjoy the car and still go faster than you’ve ever gone before

I have a RAIV and a RAV dual quad set up they are both puppies compared to my turbo car ! And my turbo car is far more forgiving to drive anywhere . It’s been together forever and not even a plug change!

My turbo car is also built in a budget
That’s far less than the other two
That sounds killer but I dont know much about turbo cars. Probably would be a steep learning curve for me and expensive.....

Old 10-11-2021, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdiesel View Post
Considering an engine upgrade this winter. My goal is pretty simple, more power LOL. Nothing wrong with my current setup, I’d just like more as usual .
I’d like to get your opinion on the following upgrades. I think I have narrowed it down to two choices. One is fairly inexpensive and the other is a bit more.

Option #1:
Swap out my current ported 670 heads for a set of ported KRE d-ports (310-325cfm). I plan to buy them from KRE bare & ported and have Paul Carter put them together. Keep my current cam (Lunati Voodoo HR 239°/243° @ .050", ground on a 112° LSA), keep my current rockers, keep my Torker 2 intake and keep my RA manifolds.
At a minimum I would need to purchase the following: heads, ARP head bolts and gaskets.
This is by far the least expensive option. I have been told by some reputable Pontiac engine builder that this should net me around 560hp/600tq.

Option #2:
Swap out my current ported 670 heads for KRE High Ports, unported, North wind intake and change out the cam for a Lunati Voodoo HR 243/251 @ .050, ground on a 112 LSA.
At a minimum, this upgrade would require purchasing the following: Heads, intake, cam, push rods, roller rockers, head studs, headers and gaskets.
This is my most expensive option but I have been told that this would “easily” make 600hp / 600+tq. I have also been reading about the High Ports and found I will need to make or buy and different bracket for my AC compressor since those heads are missing a hole. Not real thrilled about this. I don’t want this upgrade snowball….

Curious what you guys think. If it was your money what would you do?
Would love to hear form those that went from ported iron heads to ported aluminum and their experience.
When I went from ported iron heads to ported aluminum heads it certainly was NOT an earth moving experience. It took time and effort to get the new combo moving and beefing up just about every part on the car as well……that wasn’t enough as the bottom didn’t hold. Lots of lessons learned along the way.

If you are really making 520 from your current combo, you may not be overly impressed with another 40 at the motor.

Not really helping you spend your money…..good luck on the build!

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 10-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing that you have going for this upgrade is your current head/cam package is a well thought out package. It is worth money, when you do the swap keep track of all the lifters, pushrods, rockers etc. Somebody will buy them it will offset the cost. Makes a huge difference that is a known performer..and the heads are professionally done.
It is very easy to achieve 600 hp..and after checking out your build , I assume an overdrive is in the future. So how does a mild street mannered 600 hp engine sound with good vacuum that pulls 20mpg on the highway sound?

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 10-12-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
One thing that you have going for this upgrade is your current head/cam package is a well thought out package. It is worth money, when you do the swap keep track of all the lifters, pushrods, rockers etc. Somebody will buy them it will offset the cost. Makes a huge difference that is a known performer..and the heads are professionally done.
It is very easy to achieve 600 hp..and after checking out your build , I assume an overdrive is in the future. So how does a mild street mannered 600 hp engine sound with good vacuum that pulls 20mpg on the highway sound?
That is exactly my plan. Sell the heads, cam, rockers and intake(s). Hopefully I can re-use my lifters and pushrods. It really is a good combo.

I installed a built 4l80e in April of 2020. Probably the best mod to the car. Makes a pleasure to drive.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get 20mpg outta this thing……

Old 10-12-2021, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was easily 16 mpg plus on long drives. That was with 308 gears. Mild duration and lots of lift, and higher compression go a long way.

This was with a basically stock Holley 950 HP

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 10-13-2021, 11:36 AM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

Option #1 Will make more then you will ever need on the street and be dangerous anyway w street tires.
Your trans If its an Auto will NOT last either, a TH400 cannot handle that torque in stock OEM guts!!

You will Find weal links there definitely. Or your clutch if its Not a center force type setup.

And a Stock GM rear won't last either.

Welcome to the familiar 1-2-3 row thru your running gear to make it live scenario....

Don't over focus on the engine bay you have a choir of thing in the soup!

Old 10-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Two things are a fly in the ointment here!

First off running even stock KRE heads puts you right at the threshold air flow wise of what that T2 intake can flow, no less if the heads are reworked to flow upwards of 290 cfm!
I can’t think of a greater waste of money!

The next issue in regards to your first and second build choice is the exh manifolds your running.
Getting to the 600 hp level will be tuff without running the optional big size exh manifolds and a 3” exh system if your not there already, and forget right now about making good use of high port heads and topping the 600 hp mark by much while even running the big size exh manifolds, you will need headers!

I have spent a whole bunch of time heavily reworking a T2 intake( no welding But epoxy) and 285 cfm up from the stock 260 or so was it , and it needed a 1.5” spacer to really work right besides!

Where talking RA4 port size or better all the way to within 2” of the start of the transition to the plenum and then even more of a expansion rate kicking in and then that getting blended into a 2” spacer.

You did not post what your running for a carb, but with the high ports something more like a 950 is needed.
So which intake do you recommend? ?