Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1962 SD-421 Exhaust pics

I have a rather unusual request? I need some photos of what a stock complete exhaust system looks like on an SD-421 Catalina 1962. Some pictures from the underside looking at the floor pan is what I am after. Pics around the cross member and around the transmission would be very helpful Also what the hangers look like and where they are located. Finally, I know there is some controversy about the angles, position, and length of where the tail pipes exit the rear bumper area. If I have some pics of the stock system, then I can fabricate a new system that looks similar for my car. I will not have the dual outlet exhaust manifolds, but from the head pipes back, I would like it to resemble the stock SD system as much as practical. Planning 2.5" pipes. Haven't decided on machine bent or using mandrel bent elbows everywhere and welding it all up in little pieces. Thanks in advance for any pics from underneath.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not 100% sure, but I think your using the term Tail pipes ( as in passenger and drivers side may not be needed.

I have never seen a photo of a factory duel exh system on a car that left the factory with a SD motor, where as I have seen plenty over the years with just a single exh
And even at car shows!
It would seem like they installed the cheapest single exh system because they new that the cars would be running open exh nearly as soon as the car(s) got into the owners hands!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-03-2021, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They were single exhaust. On page 17 of the 35 page pamphlet "The Royal Pontiac Story" there is a picture of how they jumped under the drive shaft with a tube from the driver's side exhaust to the passenger's side. This was done just behind the universal joint. From the picture it appears to me that the trans was a t85 heavy duty three speed in that particular car.

If you don't have a copy of that pamphlet and someone else doesn't post one I can scan my copy and post it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK,from a VERY good source.62 SD cars had dual exhaust as they left the factory.63 Swiss Cheese cars and SD Tempests got single exhaust.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 07:32 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
OK,from a VERY good source.62 SD cars had dual exhaust as they left the factory.63 Swiss Cheese cars and SD Tempests got single exhaust.Tom
I agree with Tom, my 63 master parts manual shows duel exh for 62-63 SD & HO. Yes I agree 63 swiss cheese cars and Tempest had single exh.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So then the question is, does the exhaust on an SD car look the same as a regular car? (except of course for the configuration of the downpipes where they connect to the exhaust manifolds.)

Old 10-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting stuff! I never knew of the single exhaust system having never seen an SD car with factory exhaust. I guess to be more accurate in what I am attempting to do. My car will have the iron D-port long branch manifolds. I just want the bends and runs under the car to look as correct as possible for an HO installation around the crossmember, around the transmission and shifter and along the driveshaft, up and over the axle in the right place and exiting the rear in the correct location at the right place and angle. Honestly have not been able to find any pics on the internet from my searches. Plenty of pics I know are completely wrong, most cars have headers in the pics. Size of the muffler bodies would be very helpful as well. I know this is asking allot, but I want it to look as good as reasonably possible.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,there were only 27 SD cars built with single exhaust!Maybe the 63 master parts book has part numbers for the mufflers.I have seen 421 HO mufflers on ebay before.Kenny I think still has a pretty original 62 SD car,maybe some of that stuff is original.I think Scott Tieman might has correct pics also.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. It's just an interesting new thing to learn about. Not attempting to build a "fake SD car" A real Pontiac person will see a late model Pontiac V-8 under the hood immediately. Just want the exhaust to look right and not all jacked around under the car. It's surprisingly tight under there around the crossmember , shifter and driveshaft.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Senior Chief

Default 63

My parts book does not show 62 SD but here is 63.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211003_204133.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	574348  

Old 10-04-2021, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talked to Paul at Ram Air Restorations to get an idea of what he had in a complete exhaust system. He has pre-bent systems in 2.5" which is what I want to run but all his stuff has an X pipe which I am not in love with. Also, his systems wont fit with the stock cross member. The exhaust pipes only fit passing under the cross member, not over it like stock. He said something about using an A body cross member and welding extensions on the ends? Not a big deal but not sure I want to go that way. It would certainly provide much more room for the exhaust between the cross member and the floor. Anyone have any experience with his complete exhaust systems? Just looking at all the options.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I wonder if Tom Hand has a Possible connection to your needs?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-09-2021, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are his X pipes round or oval?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-09-2021, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Are his X pipes round or oval?
I believe from what I can gather from his web site, that up to 2 1/2" they are round. When you jump up to 3", oval pipes are an option. In my case, with the iron long branch manifolds, there is no reason to go larger than 2 1/2". He said on the phone, none of his systems will fit the stock cross member, not even the 2 1/4" stuff. I believe that. Because the stock head pipes go over the cross member between the floor. His X pipe would be in the way of the shifter and everything else up there. It's really tight over the cross member. The previous owner of my car did a really nice job cutting clearance and boxing the cross member for 2 1/.2" head pipes, but it's tight. So this is part of the reason for my thread. Going to have to decide to go over or under the cross member with the new system. Under will require a new cross member, not a super big deal. Just curious what others have done to get a good exhaust system on their 61-62 full size cars. BTW, not a big fan of X pipes or any connection between the left and right side of a V-8. I have found the reports of big power gains to be dubious at best and the pipes eventually crack and leak over time unless a flex joint is part of the deal.