Old 08-21-2021, 01:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default Best exhaust kit for 1969 Firebird long branch manifolds?

I have searched and read through most of the posts over the years and the system that I wanted to get was installed on another member's carousel red convertible. He raced his car and believe he lives in Texas.
Pictures show from wheels in air.

The exhaust system is neatly tucked up under car and exits out of the rear like factory.

I would like to buy a system that I could install at home.

There are no factory exhaust hangers left on the car. I bought it back in 1982 as my first car.

The last exhaust system installed on it was at Midas Muffler back in the 1980s with headers. I found long branch manifolds and another shop incorporated pipes for that.

The custom head pipes were not mandrel bent and hung lower than sub frame. They have been flattened by speed bumps.

Long story short, I want to replace the system.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is good stuff. In the same boat and looking forward to replies. I was leaning towards pypes kits myself

Old 08-21-2021, 05:10 PM
Senior Chief

Default That may be the site where I also seen the car.

I think that he is a member here.

I had saved some pictures of his install. I'll have to find them. I think he had headers though.

I am not sure about having to look on RARE exhaust website for long branch head pipes. They have a system for 1969 Firebird.

I don't want loud exhaust, just one with bends that are not crushed/reduced for bends. I want it to tuck up under car and out of sight. I am undecided about the additional resonator? that mounts in the well above differential housing. I am not sure if i can find all the necessary parts to hang that piece.

Basically, I am wanting the perfect "recipe" to put a good fitting system on the car that doesn't sound obnoxious.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default Exhaust systems installed by 1969 Firebird coupe owners

Which one have you installed?

Were you happy with installation process?

Were you missing anything that was not included with system?

Did the head pipes work well with long branch manifolds?

Would you use h-pipe, x pipe, or none at all?

Old 08-28-2021, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

on my 69 i used the long branch manifolds and the dynomax, jegs 2.5 kit with crossover muffler (recommended here by many people) , and the pypes adapter pipes. it fits fantastic and i was able to tuck it up nice and tight. upgraded to the stainless cross over muffler and sold the mild steel muff. it is a great value and sounds throaty

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 08-29-2021, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

Default Thank you for your help

I have found the Flowmaster part number 389-17139 kit and 65-72 PONTIAC LONG BRANCH MANIFOLD DOWNPIPES DGF10S.

You stated that you used Dynomax mufflers. I studied an exhaust test for mufflers by Jim Hand from an old article. I liked the Dynomax model that was the best flow and less sound. Is that what you meant by using Dynomax instead of mufflers that came with Flowmaster kit?

Were you satisfied with exhaust tips and rear exit with no contact with body or vibration contact?

Thank you again for taking time to help me. I have been trying to get this done for many many years, and finally put myself up to ask for help.

-----Kevin

Old 10-18-2021, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking to upgrade my 69 which currently has an x-pipe and dual Dynomax STs. If I converted to a crossflow set up does anyone sell just the back half so I can redo my current exhaust from front of mufflers back and add the crossflow?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 10-20-2021, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That will be a tough go Will.

I've bought just head pipes separate, and just tail pipes separate, but as far as I know I've never seen the over axle pipes separate for a transverse setup. I don't think that is offered anywhere but if you give Pypes a call, they might be interested in selling the over axles pieces, along with their transverse and the tailpipes needed to go with it.
If you go with the Pypes transverse muffler, you definitely need "their" over axle pipes and tail pipes because they construct their muffler differently with the inlet and outlet opposite from side to side, so standard style transverse over axle pipes and tail pipes will not fit their muffler.

As far as F-bodies go I prefer transverse systems. There are 2 systems I like to use, and have used several of both of them.

The SG70 transverse setup from Pypes, and the Dynomax 89021 transverse system.

For the record, the Dynomax muffler has the standard inlet and outlet configuration just as GM did it.

Just an FYI Will, as long as you're not hooked on keeping the "X" in the system, I'm betting you can replace the whole setup with the Dynomax 89021 "H" kit cheaper than trying to piece the back half together. Those Dynomax systems are still priced under $300 for the entire kit.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-20-2021, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used Flowmaster 44's. They sound really nice.