Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Hydroboost conversation

My 1967 GTO currently has all new power brakes from inline tube. I rebuilt the rear factory drums and have single piston disc brakes up front. Car stops great when it has vacuum. But my engine only makes around 11” of vacuum. Not quite enough to sustain the power brakes. I am strongly considering a hydroboost conversion. From my research, it seems like the way to go for those who have low vacuum engines and want stopping power. And it appears to be a fairly straightforward swap.
I am considering this booster:
https://www.performanceonline.com/Hy...ssist-Booster/
And this hose kit:
https://www.performanceonline.com/Hy...ttings-Rubber/

Does anyone here have any experience with this company? Is this a good kit? What hydroboost parts are you guys running?

Old 08-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't have any experience with that company, but by looking at that kit, they give you a flat mounting plate for the firewall, not sure if your master have the upward tilt as most GM's do. That would make the master cylinder lines not line up so good. I used a Hydratech Booster for my 64. Yes it works very well and you have to be careful when first trying it out, make sure you wear your seat belt, LOL. http://www.hydratechbraking.com/products.html
That price does look good though.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hydroboost is a moderately-common brake modification. I had zero experience with hydroboost until I bought a 3/4-ton truck-and-snowplow combo last New Years.

The truck overall was in poor condition. It had had no proper maintenance since Fido was a pup. I've never had the rear drums off, because I've got the full-floating axle assembly and I"ve never pulled the drum/bearing assembly before. I still have a long way to go before I've got all the problems corrected. I'm saying this to let you know that MAYBE my issues with Hydroboost are due to something being wrong, not an inherent flaw in the engineering.

Hydroboost works GREAT. Low pedal effort, strong stopping power. The problem is the goofy "feel" at the brake pedal. Thank God for ABS because it will take me the rest of my life to figure out how to modulate the pedal for fastest stopping otherwise.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sean, I'm not sure if you've seen reference to it on here but you can take a brake booster from a 1985 Chevy S10 all disc (dual 9" factory booster) and swap it in place of your existing and problem solved. I've done this on two vehicles, mine has 9 inches of vacuum at idle. Problem solved and a lot cheaper and gives you more room in that area by the valve cover. Just picked up a rebuilt one at o'Reilly's and it's worked great the past few years.

Careful if you do this as you will throw yourself and your passengers through the windshield the first few times you drive it!

Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another option....

ELECTRIC VACUUM PUMP KIT.

https://leedbrakes.com/

And for the future:

High Performance brake shoes

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 08-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqhead View Post
Sean, I'm not sure if you've seen reference to it on here but you can take a brake booster from a 1985 Chevy S10 all disc (dual 9" factory booster) and swap it in place of your existing and problem solved. I've done this on two vehicles, mine has 9 inches of vacuum at idle. Problem solved and a lot cheaper and gives you more room in that area by the valve cover. Just picked up a rebuilt one at o'Reilly's and it's worked great the past few years.

Careful if you do this as you will throw yourself and your passengers through the windshield the first few times you drive it!
Wow! I have not heard of this. This sounds great. I think I’ll give it a try before spending $800 on hydroboost. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Senior Chief

I went through a few boosters and finally solved problems with hydra tech setup and have brakes!

It takes a bit to get used to. If I was going all out performance I would do a right sized manual brake setup.

1973 Firebird, Formula hood, 466 roller cam, ported heads, T56, Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, DSE Subframe connecters, PTFB upper a arms, re-enforced lowers with global west delrim bushings, C5 brakes front and rear, 18 inch Boss 338 wheels, 4th gen TA power seats seats, Morris seatbelts, hydrotech hydroboost, speed hut gauges
1973 Formula 4spd long term project
Old 08-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdiesel View Post
Wow! I have not heard of this. This sounds great. I think I’ll give it a try before spending $800 on hydroboost. Thanks!
Search through the forum and you'll find a few post on it. I was seriously considering hydroboost myself.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqhead View Post

I was looking at this as an option but I have a question. My booster has a u shaped bracket that fits around the pedal shaft with a pin that goes thru it and the a cotter pin goes thru that. How do you secure the pushrod to the pedal and is it the right length right off the bat?

Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Boost Engineer

You have to modify the push rod typically to get it to work with a 64 brake pedal push rod.

Some have cut off the round loop end on hydraboost push rod, tapped that rod for threads, added a coupler, and attached the brake pedal rod.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Senior Chief

I went to hydro boost couple years ago best thing I ever did. Made the hoses a little longer so they don't lay on the inner fender they go behind and come out by the hydro boost, cleaner install. Had an electric pump before that did the job but hydro boost for me is the way to go on 571 cu in.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my unit from http://www.custompowerbrake.com/
He helped with install tech info and the unit has been trouble free. Braking feel is as good as any “modern” car I’ve ever owned. I sourced my hoses from Rock Auto, if I remember correctly. To my eye it looks like Mother GM did it. If you search my name and hydro boost I posted a detailed thread about the install.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8CB72E3-5127-4B32-8D58-DDED86840B6C.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	517559   Click image for larger version

Name:	34DFBB06-1CE8-4FEF-AAD8-B5E903374F5E.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	517560  

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 08-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Boost Engineer

I did a search as you suggested and PY did not find any thread by you for hydro boost.

Can you post a link yourself to the thread? Thanks

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I bought my unit from http://www.custompowerbrake.com/
He helped with install tech info and the unit has been trouble free. Braking feel is as good as any “modern” car I’ve ever owned. I sourced my hoses from Rock Auto, if I remember correctly. To my eye it looks like Mother GM did it. If you search my name and hydro boost I posted a detailed thread about the install.

I love your engine bay and finned valve covers. I have the same ones only i bead blasted them satin to match the intake and the water pump and heads. I have an NOS Cal Customs finned air cleaner that I am gonna use but I am on the fence. I don’t want to bead blast an NOS part but at the same time I want it to match. My front accessories are billet cause that’s what they came in so maybe it won’t look too out of place

Old 08-13-2019, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JONES View Post
I went to hydro boost couple years ago best thing I ever did.
+1
With hydroboost and 4 wheel discs, my car stops like a modern car. Good thing, too, the way people drive around here.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another perhaps cheaper option is simply revert to manual brakes? Also makes for a 'cleaner' engine bay. Sure they takes a little more foot pressure, but after driving it, you develop the needed "feel" quickly.

I daily drive my 72 with manual brakes, and recently converted my 67 GTO back to manual. Got tired of lifting off the throttle quickly and having to stand on the brakes for a bit before the vacuum returned enough to help. No fun with a rump-rump cam and low vacuum. Now I don't even think about it.

Just a thought.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 08-13-2019, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I did a search as you suggested and PY did not find any thread by you for hydro boost.

Can you post a link yourself to the thread? Thanks

Tom V.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ght=Hydroboost

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 AM
Boost Engineer

Thanks David, a lot of good info there.

Tom V.

ps Thanks to all of the other people who contributed info too.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
T

ps Thanks to all of the other people who contributed info too.

That's what has always made this site so great. People stepping into help.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
Another perhaps cheaper option is simply revert to manual brakes? Also makes for a 'cleaner' engine bay. Sure they takes a little more foot pressure, but after driving it, you develop the needed "feel" quickly.

I daily drive my 72 with manual brakes, and recently converted my 67 GTO back to manual. Got tired of lifting off the throttle quickly and having to stand on the brakes for a bit before the vacuum returned enough to help. No fun with a rump-rump cam and low vacuum. Now I don't even think about it.

Just a thought.
Manual disk brakes here too. They work fine.