Old 12-06-2021, 06:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Windlace Questions

Any tips on using my stiff old headliner windlace? Will heat soften it up some for installation?

How about the repop stuff? Any good? Will SEM vinyl dye stay on it .. because like most things they don't make it in Ivy Gold.

Thanks

Old 12-06-2021, 09:52 AM

I did use the SEM dye on my old wind lace, it worked out fine. Really make sure you clean it well before painting, I think I used simple green and scrubbed it because it was kind of “sticky”. I also had to paint original as mine was 69 Mustard Gold

The Following User Says Thank You to 69hardtop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thing about the repop windlace is that it doesn't 'grab' the 'teeth' of the trim to stay on good. The originals had steel cores, and was more ridged, and stayed in place better. You can make the new stuff work, but it has a tendency to 'fall off'.

Both hold SEM paint well, SEM works great. Even if you could order the windlace (or other interior parts) in the color you want, the ONLY way to get it to all match in shade is to spray it all. Only exception is black.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the SEM, have used Gold on a 68 before.
One KEY �� TO making it stick is make sure your original is in the squeezed tight position. Make Certain the temp of the dye, windlass, AND air is 70 + degrees oF till its completely dry. I have even used a chicken coup Heat lamp at 6 ft away if doing this in winter. Temp is key to air dry chemistry.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like I can save most of my original windlace, cleans up better than I thought it would. And the SEM paint I'm using that is supposed to be Ivy Gold (they call it medium gold poly) is basically not even close to Ivy Gold.

Not sure what is going on, but the SEM stuff I've ordered from NPD is no where close. Is there a better source for the SEM paint. From what I gather SEM offers the paint mixing system and the aerosol paint can equipment and the vendors mix it?

Ames doesn't even offer the Ivy Gold interior paint.

I'm starting to feel like a red headed stepchild.

( Just ordered some of the Ivy Gold from Classic Industries ... I'll be very surprised if it's not just relabeled SEM)

Last edited by dataway; 12-14-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Call Vinyl Pro in GA and they will mix/match whatever you need in SEM products.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 05:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got in some Ivy Gold vinyl paint from Classic Industries, made by Original Equipment Reproductions, it's dead nuts on perfect match. Tried three different cans of SEM and it wasn't even close.

In the photo below the top pillar post cover was done in the new OER paint, the lower in SEM. The OER paint was actually labeled Ivy Gold, the SEM was their offering for the Ivy Gold trim code.

It's actually even a better match than it looks, the covers were tilted toward the light and the OEM original door panel beneath was not, from straight above it's a perfect match right down to the sheen. The SEM was almost flat.

Going to order a couple more cans to keep for future use. Still used the SEM adhesion promoter with the new paint, that stuff seems to work very well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IvyGoldInteriorPaint.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	580427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IvyGoldInteriorPaint-1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	580428  

Old 12-23-2021, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief