Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default inner fender removal

on a 1970 gto is it a lot of work to remove the drivers side inner fender? i need to relocate my brake junction block to clear my hooker super comps and if i pulled it out it might make it easier....

Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

not easy, especially if you have PB, I don't think you can do it without removing the fender. you could use the later model firebird bracket setup where the block gets mounted under the master cylinder.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Senior Chief

by late model do you mean like a 79 80 style or newer than that?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak
by late model do you mean like a 79 80 style or newer than that?
yep. Sorry, I'm stuck in my past where my 69 was a cool car but my 71 was too new and guys with those brand new 79 TA's were just posers! I'm out of my depth on firebird info, I'm guessing they used that "below the master" setup throughout the 70's. I'd guess camaro's used the same setup so you should be able to snag one off ebay or the firebird guys here pretty cheaply.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a pain, but can be done. If your paint is nice you will probably want to heavily tape the edges to help avoid scratches.

On my '70, I managed to install the driver's inner fender well without too much drama. You will have to rotate the fender well and tilt it at different angles to find that magic fit. You will also have to kinda gently bend the fender well to avoid the fender. If your suspension is detailed as mine is, I would suggest taping cardboard or something else sturdy to the top of the control arm and frame.

It'll work, it won't be fun.

-Matt

Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

if i move my junction block to by the master cylinder instead of on the frame i'll be able to do the job without takin that inner fender out.....

Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yak,

check out pics on post #46

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=539381

Old 12-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Talking

It can be done, two things, jack the car up high enough for the fender well too come in behind the rotor. Second unbolt the fender at the bottom where it bolts by the frame. I just did mine on the T-37 and they went in without any problems. Just remember too rotate them in from the firewall forward.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Duley
It can be done, two things, jack the car up high enough for the fender well too come in behind the rotor. Second unbolt the fender at the bottom where it bolts by the frame. I just did mine on the T-37 and they went in without any problems. Just remember too rotate them in from the firewall forward.
Rick Duley - is 100% right !!! I've done it on both sides 5 times. I restore 68-72 "A" bodies.