Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Morel hyd roller lifters?

We are replacing a set of old Comp hyd roller lifters with Morels anyone know if the lifters are same height? Hoping pushrods won't need changing.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why wouldn't you just order new Comps ?

Old 05-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If they are old Comps they were probably Johnsons.Comp sometimes ships Morels if the are out of the current Shavers.And I think all are a diff height.FWIW

Old 05-03-2020, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
If they are old Comps they were probably Johnsons.Comp sometimes ships Morels if the are out of the current Shavers.And I think all are a diff height.FWIW
They're about 20yrs old

Old 05-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow,no clue.Tom

Old 05-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Morels have a reputation for not being that great and many experienced engine builders will not use them. The quality of the components seems to be fine as far as durability is concerned, but plunger to lifter body tolerances (leak down rates) are inconsistent/all over the map.

I've ran into noisy Morel HR lifters enough times to also avoid them here.

LOTS of opinions out there on these things and I got out of the engine building business 4 years ago, so things may be better with some of these parts as the manufacturers of them were making changes to better their products.

Even so I just talked to a very experienced engine builder the other day that specifically told me that Morel retrofit HR's should be avoided........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-03-2020, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

That’s my experience with the Lunati (Morel) HRs I run. I have not had any durability issues with them, but they are noisy and their performance is a bit inconsistent.

Whenever I decide to go through this engine I’ll likely replace them.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
We are replacing a set of old Comp hyd roller lifters with Morels anyone know if the lifters are same height? Hoping pushrods won't need changing.
Have a picture??

The old Comps you have could already be Morels, as they sell those occasionally when they don't have Shavers.

Here's a picture of the difference, Both of these are from Comp for a Pontiac, One Shaver and one Morel. Oil bands are different heights but I can't remember if the plungers were different heights requiring different pushrods. I want to say yes.

If it were me, I'd just give Paul K a call and order the correct (taller) lifters from him, that's what I did on the last go around and they've been perfectly quiet in dads engine. Then again, those shorter Morels in the picture are an old set out of his 455 that were also perfectly quiet that I'm keeping around for another build. Bought those from Comp about 20 years ago. Wrong oil band location, and no lifter bore mod, but they were whisper quiet regardless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB120007.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	539058  

Old 05-03-2020, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I started using HR camshafts back in 2004. By far and above the BEST HR lifters out there were Crane, and I believe Johnson may have made those for them. Every single other variety I ran had issues someplace, but never had one fail.

Over the years of using them I noticed that there were many changes being made to them. Plunger travel for one, and how strong the spring was under the plunger was another. Early versions had TONS of travel in them, up around .150" if memory serves me correctly. I'm certain those were early Morel. Then I noticed less and less travel in them and less problems with noise, but it always seemed I'd get one or two "tickers" in the bunch no matter who I sourced the out from except for the Crane.

Another thing I noticed was a sharp drop in power on the dyno usually right around 5800rpm's and it did NOT matter how strong the valve springs were, tried all that and zero effect on the engine going "dead" at high RPM's. This wasn't really an issue either as we were shooting for peak power with those engines around 5500-5600rpm's anyhow. My own 455 for example peaked at 5400rpm's when I went to a HR cam and I never took it much past that RPM on the street or at the track.

The Crane however revved right past 5800rpm's and didn't require a butt-ton of spring pressure either. They weren't overly popular because they were quite a bit more expensive than Comp or other companies selling them. I think at the beginning they were all selling Morel and just re-boxing them, could be wrong about that, but you'd think by now that ALL the issues with them would have been corrected no matter who's making them.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These were bought in 2001 been racing and street driving them ever since.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
These were bought in 2001 been racing and street driving them ever since.
Yeah that's about how old those Morels in the picture are. Ran them for about 5-6 years, I don't know how many thousands of miles, and would go to the track with it back then about 2-3 times a year. Lost the short block and saved the cam/lifters for another build.