Old 04-13-2005, 05:14 PM

i have a 1968 gto that i am putting back together and i am assembled the rear bumper and tail lights. I have left and right blinkers working , the reverse lights are working,the running lights work fine ,the break lights work, but when i have the running light on and step on the brake and turn on the right blinker the brake light go out. i can do this on the left side with no problems. It is only the right side. when the brake lights go out after turning on the right blinker the running lights stay on. it is only the brake lights that go out. also i have not hooked up the front headlights yet dur to bumper problems and i do not know if this affects the rear tail lights. someone please help with any information.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:14 PM

i have a 1968 gto that i am putting back together and i am assembled the rear bumper and tail lights. I have left and right blinkers working , the reverse lights are working,the running lights work fine ,the break lights work, but when i have the running light on and step on the brake and turn on the right blinker the brake light go out. i can do this on the left side with no problems. It is only the right side. when the brake lights go out after turning on the right blinker the running lights stay on. it is only the brake lights that go out. also i have not hooked up the front headlights yet dur to bumper problems and i do not know if this affects the rear tail lights. someone please help with any information.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The front turn signals may need to be installed for the blinkers to work correctly. The housings ground out on the valance. For years I had a fiberglass valance on my car and I had to run a ground wire from the signals to the core support to get the turn signals to work.

Other things to check would be the ground straps from the tail light housing to the bumper bracket and the condition of your bulb sockets.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 04-14-2005, 05:32 PM

Wow, my car does the same exact thing, I also dont have the front turn signals in right now.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:57 PM

I had a the same trouble last summer and it wound up being a poorly grounded front directional lamp.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:57 PM

check the ground

Old 04-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your Only as good as your Ground.
If the factory location/strap is not working well make your own.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:42 PM

I think you need to get well grounded!

Old 10-29-2005, 10:35 PM

Talking Fixed Tallight problem

Thanks everybody for reesponding to my problem. I wanted everbody to know that i have figured out what the problem was.
I needed to replace the turn signal switch in the steering column. It seamed to have a cracked piece of plastic and was actually passing beyond the cantact point and knocking out the levt brakelight. thanks everyone for the help
mark