Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-14-2000, 11:55 PM

With all the talk of pontiac head flow numbers and cfm this and cfm that, why aren't more of you using blowers or turbo's to get around this problem? I know price is a factor but if you figure $1800 for a set of brand-x heads then also many more dollars to get them to flow, you can buy a complete blower kit. I know blowers are not for everyone but look at the Ford 5.0 crowd, I think every one of them has a blower- even with good heads. There aren't many 100% pontiac blower kits, especially centrifugal ones, but it doesn't take a genius to fab a bracket. Being a blown pontiac owner (14-71,intercooled) makes me kind of biased, but I just don't see or hear of many blown Pontiacs. Just my two cents.

Old 07-14-2000, 11:55 PM

With all the talk of pontiac head flow numbers and cfm this and cfm that, why aren't more of you using blowers or turbo's to get around this problem? I know price is a factor but if you figure $1800 for a set of brand-x heads then also many more dollars to get them to flow, you can buy a complete blower kit. I know blowers are not for everyone but look at the Ford 5.0 crowd, I think every one of them has a blower- even with good heads. There aren't many 100% pontiac blower kits, especially centrifugal ones, but it doesn't take a genius to fab a bracket. Being a blown pontiac owner (14-71,intercooled) makes me kind of biased, but I just don't see or hear of many blown Pontiacs. Just my two cents.

Old 07-15-2000, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't have a sister named Marilyn, do you? BTW, I build and sell the setup. ATI prochargers for Street/Strip Pontiacs for the last 3 years. Go to my website for pics and results. Plus more on the way after this weekend of testing with another different engine. I think it's a hot set-up. Later. http://PontiacDude.cc

Old 07-15-2000, 10:33 AM

Hey Pontiac Dude, That Black Firebird is "really" nice, but you don't have any info on it! Why not post what you did to it to get it to run 9.46? I'm very interested in that car and your combo. How much boost are you pushing through that carb? I can go on forever with these questions, but I think you know what I'm getting at.

Old 07-15-2000, 10:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Vascar, he has all of the spec's listed except for the cam, check his web site. He was not running the ATI on the 9.40 pass.

Old 07-15-2000, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Brian:

I think that the answer to your question is because Pontiac owners, by and large, are stuck in the past. Most of us are geeks who really think that Pontiac is still the king, just as it was in 1963. I can't tell you how many Pontiac guys poo-poo nitrous and other power adders and simply address them as either "cheating" or as "the easy way out."

With the sort of "I'm happy running 12's" attitude being so pervasive in the Pontiac hobby, I don't think you're likely to see the majority consensus change anytime soon.

As for Pontiac Dude, he's one of the few Pontiac guys with the balls to push the blue button. And Gach seems to be the only one to successfully use the RinkaZink modulator. I guess everybody has his strong points.

Please post some pictures of your car, Brian. It sounds sweet.

Old 07-15-2000, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 9.40's ET's are with N.O.S. & radials, not the ATI. It's the article under the pic. What else do you need to know? An old combo with a smaller engine ran 10.33@134, 3 years ago with the procharger, but blew a FRAM oil filter 100 ft out and caused extensive damage to the side of the car and engine. So I put it on the back burner for a while till recently. Then put it on a 400 that's also on the website. Have put the N.O.S. engine back in with the ATI(and NOS as a liquid intercooler)(you have to have that "OH SH**" button if their along side of ya) too see what it will do. Hope it runs as I have to match race the Wanger's T/A @ Maple Grove on the 30th. I guess it's put up or shut up time for the PONTIAC DUDE. LOL. http://PontiacPower.cc

Old 07-15-2000, 10:58 PM

Thanks guys! I thought the black one had the Procharger, my mistake. Good luck at Maple Grove. I can't wait to hear about it!

Old 07-16-2000, 01:10 AM

Scott, how do I post pictures on this board? I have a picture (not the best one) on the spotts performance board, and it would be cool to have one here.

Old 07-16-2000, 07:47 AM
Suspended

Not sure, Brian. Email Chris and ask him.

Old 07-16-2000, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Vascar, you are correct the Black TA did and does have the ProCharger on it, along with a 400 and a 428 with and without the ProCharger and W and W/O NOS Too! The Dude changes motors like we change socks...LOL!

Old 07-26-2000, 09:43 AM

I put a Paxton on my Pontiac. Pretty easy in all. Also went to DFI which I love. There is no reason why you cant have your Pontiac and not be modern! Ever drive a blown 455 with TPI...Oh my...

Got some pics on my web site. http://hometown.aol.com/nylewis/ta.html

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/nylewis/ta.html

Old 07-26-2000, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey! Someone's letting my old cat out of the bag. OK PonyAct Dude: you may as well know I'm buying the Dual-Quad Intake for 8 reasons and 71 benefits.

Assembly accomodates HEI, factory throttle cable, P/S, P/B, A/C, and my favorite: Dual Q-Jets [for simplified throttle linkage and smashing good looks]!

Fact of the matter is I welded a steel intake in 1989 to mount the 8V-71 Huffer.
Dual V-Belt drive using crank pulleys. I made a simple adaptor disc [ drawing ] to accept the 4-bolt pulley onto the front drive gear, then used a tractor-trailer rear wheel oil seal keep the front gear oil in place. I have a second assembly that's been waiting for just the right aluminum Intake manifold. Low Cost folks.

Riddled with benefits:

We have it easy with sneeze plates located under the Intake belly [ a pair of GTO inner valve springs holding a 2-bolt plate shut]

Low-profile Water crossover developed that accomodates blower front overhang, the temperature sender, and y-combine for balanced head flow to radiator.

7M5 heads do nicely.

Can go from running Carb'd to running Blown in 1/2 hour [not including hood issues]

Should I bring this beast to the Grove???

Anyone care to attempt a Market Research - interest in this assy as a Kit to the poncho masses. I figure the kit, minus blower rebuild parts] is Low Cost.

I ought to have xyz scan some of the photos, ya'll now know he posted in this thread and is fully aware of this project.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 07-28-2000, 12:34 AM

I'm not bashing your project, doing what you can with what you have is my middle name, but last I heard the V series blowers are weak for performance and as you probably have discovered there are little if any aftermarket parts for these blowers. (Probably why the local core supplier has bins full of them),and what's up with dual Q-jets? I take it cosmetics are not one of your concerns.

Old 07-28-2000, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chambers, So what your saying is they went out with high buckle shoes. What would be interesting though is how much hp some thing like this would produce, 500-600- hp, mite be afordable for some one on a low bubget, I mean can you see some guy running around with a station wagon with one of these sticking out of the hood, man that'd be cool.

PS: hows your project coming

Old 07-28-2000, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey guys there is an intake manifold for a 6-71 blower for sale on ebay. If anyone is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...708973&r=0&t=0

Tim Corcoran

Old 07-28-2000, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just sold one of these intakes within the last year. I thought it was an old Offy' from the large cast part #, but now I know.

Old 07-30-2000, 12:47 AM

Gach, my project has been done for a couple of months now, I've been doing some tuning with the EFI lately to compensate for the intercooler, until this morning I was into a 2nd gear shift when it sounded like a light rod bearing noise so I shut it down, towed it home and checked my oil filter(system-1)and there are some small metal pieces in it so it looks like a teardown is in my future, hopefully its just bearings. Isn't hot rodding fun!!!

Old 07-30-2000, 05:49 PM

Chambers - I've been using the System One for years and will usually always find some metal particles. As long as it's not escessive or as long as the particles aren't too large this is fairly normal. The real bad thing to find is copper. I'm sure your used to the amount of trash you can expect to find between changes so this isn't likely any news for you. With my car I can drop the pan with the motor in the chassis and I do so at least once about halfway through the season. Hope you don't find anything bad!