The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Default WHAT THE #&%$$@# IS GOING ON WITH MY PANEL GAPS?

I'VE PRETTY MUCH BURNED THROUGH THE WHOLE DAY ON GETTING MY HOOD ALIGNED AFTER ABOUT ANOTHE DAY ALIGNING THE DOORS AND FENDERS ON MY 71 GP AND STILL HAVE MY FRONT LEFT FENDER MOUNTED FARTHER FORWARD THAN MY RIGHT FENDER JUST TO HAVE TOLLERABLE GAPS ALONG THE LINES. THE FRONT LEFT FENDER IS ALSO BURIED AGAINST THE ROCKER PANEL AT THE BOTTOM JUST TO CLOSE UP THE GAPS. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS MUCH TROUBLE ON ALIGNING BODY PANELS ON THESE CARS? I'VE NEVER HAD THIS MUCH TROUBLE ALIGNING AND SHIMMING BODY PANELS LIKE THIS BEFORE!

THANKS, STEVE

Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM

Steve, I'm going to move this to the body forum as it's the same for most cars.

Align the doors with the 1/4's first, then adjust the front accordingly.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Post some pics if you can. Doors to rocker and quarters, fenders to doors, hood to fenders, fenders to firewall, etc.

Did you replace the body mount bushings? Core support bushings?

Don

Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the panels painted?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 PM

Default PANEL GAPS

Working on getting the pictures shot and posted, the panels were painted away from the body after body work was performed, the front cowl or radiator support had rot at the bushing hole and was repaired along with replacing the front bushings before I began the body work to the car and did give myself ample room at the fender to door gap area to prevent any schaffing between the panels. The big problem we had was after the body work was done one of my employes had left an argon bottle unattended as usual and got knocked over onto the left side of the fender - oh goody!! Sooo.....We procured another fender from a 72 grand prix and did a rough install but we also failed to mount it with the header panel and hood on. We had good alignment of the panel and were reassured from reliable sources that the 71 and 72 fender are the same but the donor panel is giving me the most heartache right now. I have the lower portion of the fender butted up against the rocker panel while the passenger side has almost a 3/16 inch gap running parallel with the door and rocker to the fender, also only need sim for the inner fender to firewall support that also doubles as the anchor for the hood hinge - perfect fit and gap all the way to the header. Drivers side thats a whole different story.... Big question right now is a 72 fender that different from a 71 and they are both factory?

I'll get the shots of the problem areas posted hopefully tonight. Its not off that much but da%&$$$ this is really bugging the crap out of me. I've been doing restos, frame straightening for 13 years and this car has by far been the most aganizing to date!

Thanks loads John Delorean!!!

Steve

Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With your past experience, this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes.
Do you have the car sitting on it's front wheels, or jack stands? These GP's sag really bad when on stands.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
With your past experience, this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes.
Do you have the car sitting on it's front wheels, or jack stands? These GP's sag really bad when on stands.
And when the front cross member isn't supported especially when an engine is still in the car.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 AM

I've either had the car on the drive on rack or on the ground, like to do panel install with the vehicle unsupported on all four wheels. I usually take the car out afterwards to flex it out a bit and make sure everything settles. The car is pretty clean underneath and remaining O.E. body bushings are still in good shape along with the mounting areas.
I have been trying to look through some of the shots of the car before disassembly to look at the alignment and gaps but previous shots were take with a cheap phone camera and hard to make out fine details. Hopefully I'll get those pictures today.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 77 GP gaps were and are still terrible.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Default gap shots

hopefully these shots will post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 003.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	278889   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	278890   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 005.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	278891   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 006.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	278892   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 007.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	278893  

Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Default gap shots

more shots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grand prix gap shots 008.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	278894   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 009.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	278895   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 010.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	278896   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 011.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	278897   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 012.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	278898  

Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Default gap shots

and yet more shots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grand prix gap shots 013.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	278899   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 014.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	278900   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 015.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	278901   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 016.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	278902   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix gap shots 017.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	278903  

Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Default grand prix gaps

Its hard to tell from the crappy shots but hopefully enough detail to show what I'm dealing with here. Front left fender is my main trouble area as you can see.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM

TMK, Noone has repopped steel G/P fenders so the sheetmetal is GM.

71 and 72 fenders interchange.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Thats what I thought also. Its hard to tell in the pictures but I've had to move my drivers side door back to keep it from rubbing the fender and its shoved but up against the rocker panel and still protudes to far out at the front. Really don't want to move everything on the passenger side forward just to compensate for the fender but if you looked at the front of the car in person the overhang on the fender is pretty noticeable.
Just really getting tired of chasing these gaps to try and keep everything equal on the car.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've longated holes and put shims were the factory never did. I worked for GM and it was Quanity Control no Quality Control. Stuff never fit to our standards. Did a 4 door 61 tempest wagon awile back OMG. I"ve built up edges to get a better reveal but if everything painted its to late. Feel your flustration-have a beer-give er hell tomorrow

Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 AM

Well I think I found out what happened after I had a friend of mine stop by that had been helping us with the cars. When I was called out of town I had my buddy watching things at the shop and lend a hand to my apprentice who does love working on cars he hates doing anything body work related and for some reason decided to take it upon himself to do some fitting on the header I had loosely installed. Okay the kid did show some injunuity but his bright idea was to file the header panel with the edge of the hood - the hood was just sitting on the car! It wasn't even bolted down, just held down at the hood latch! After my bud told me this we took a six inch pair of calipers and measured from the top edge of the header nearest the hood and followed the curve where it goes to the flat front face of the header, yes you guessed it - almost a quarter of an inch was removed from the edge of the header!!

I'm going to be having a meeting tomorrow and guess what might be covered in the discussion.

Also does anyone know if "castration" can be covered under workers compensation?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAC2110 View Post
I'm going to be having a meeting tomorrow and guess what might be covered in the discussion.

Also does anyone know if "castration" can be covered under workers compensation?
If they knew the reason... No, I don't believe it would covered. I'd grind a 1/4" off his johnson and see how he likes it. You know his girlfriend or wife wouldn't. LOL

Give him 3 choices. Make him buy a replacement, make him fix it... or "castration".

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.