Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-21-2001, 08:28 PM
Senior Chief

I have currently gathered together a Merlin II block, Callies crank and Oliver rods...I would like to keep my Pontiac a Pontiac...but...I don't want to have to do $1400 in machine work to get a $3200+ block to work. If I could get a block with a finished bore, ready to go with a lifter valley that does not need modification just to install roller lifters and the distributor pad is level and does not need machining to get right, the main bearing saddles need absolutely no work to get to work and this block can be guaranteed not to need this work...I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Any offers?

------------------
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Old 12-24-2001, 05:54 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Zeek:
P-Dude, don't beat around the bush. What are you trying to say? LOLOL. Good to see you again!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he said it Jim, this was...first hand experience...not something you can claim to have with these blocks...Merry Christmas Jim.

Yeah Dude...why not tell us all the problems you had with my block while your at it. I know about them as well as you do, only you won't post it...for whatever reasons...

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Rashionality ]</p>

Old 12-21-2001, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No. Initially there were problems that required extra machining. Problems have been corrected by now, which Dick Duclow has mentioned, but again, people only choose to hear what they want to.

Old 12-21-2001, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya know what's funny. The motor that went 5.90's in the 1/8th with street tires and weighing over 3500lbs was with Rashies old first generation so called junk block and all it required was bored and honed with bottom filler and I did that only because it is bored to 4.375 and going to be street driven). Nobody has a finished block as it depends on what your doing with it for piston size.
To much Bitchin and not enough doing. Wah, Wah. Wah.
Too many people that aren't machinist doing to much bitchin and whinnying!!!! Of course, any block or part by any manufacture can be picked to pieces.
Rash....what's your point? You had a good block and sold it!!!!! You want to see pics with the wheels up and the tires not hooking and turning over 1 1/2 turns before hooking?
You had the chance to build a killer "Pontiac" motor and blew it,,,so give it up dude.
I had more trouble making those so called "Super Chiefs" fit then I have had with both IA blocks and 10 sets of E-Heads.....So you tell me.
Rash...you taking over for Gach in the product whinnying department?
All you been doing for the past year is talking about going to Cheby. Go dude do it and quite saying your going to, then post in the Corporate section. LOL.
And when you do finally get something figured out, call me and we'll get it on.
Pontiac against Chevy. I'll get a lot more satisfaction blowing your doors off then you would beating a so called lower class of race car with Pure Pontiac power.

"Don't say it, do it dude."

Got a call and had to post. Well back to work gettin people ready for the spring season.
Race hard and have fun everybody. Hope to see ya all in N.C for Bill Blairs April Pontiac race.

------------------
Injection is Nice, but I'd rather have 'GAS'....Nitrous that is.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

Old 12-22-2001, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian & goatman, I agree w/ y'alls hypothisis on my "not learning" from my own previous marital misadventures! Believe me I would rather be spending that $ on my other hobbies. Therein, is my point that I have many recreational pursuits that are some of the more costly a person would consider.
I.E; chasing (& marrying) women, collecting firearms & shooting sports, hunting, & high performance Pontiacs. Not necessarily in that order.

I assure y'all that I in no way ment to impune the IA product! I am concerned from an information perspective, as to continue to learn as much as possible from as many different sources as can be had. I by no means know as much about our shared Pontiac hobby as you Brian, & maybe not you G'man. But through inquistive pursuits I intend to catch up.
I respect & appreciate Dick's contributions to our hobby as well. It is only through efforts like his that our hobby & available performance products will advance.
I would like to use one of these IAs in an early 60 big car w/ full cage & tube frame in the future (after the aforementioned supports subsides). As such I am interested in their pros & cons.
I do take exception however to being summarily dismissed by you two as not being able to "afford it".

Good to hear from P'dude.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 12-24-2001, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did I claim to have first hand experience? Nope. Never did, never will.

Old 12-21-2001, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had no idea that these IA's required that level of afterwork!

Brian, are you sure?

Rash', are you full of it?

I would appreciate Dick's comments here.
I believe that would go a long way towards clearing up this controversy. Or did I miss that thread?

Old 12-21-2001, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey G'man & Brian, I can afford whatever I damn well please!
And y'alls conotation(s) isn't appreciated.

Case in point would be the $1200.00+ a month I pay in support to my ex-wives.

Or the $3000.00+ annually spent on just shooting / reloading endeavors.
Not bragging, but damn! Y'all chap my @ss.

The point I was making was that $3500.00 is alot in todays market for that product, IF IN FACT, it requires much more work.

I have entertained the idea of using one, but decided that my $3500.00 would be better spent elsewhere in this particular resto.

PARDON ME IF I MISSED DICK'S POST CONCERNING THE SAME!

Old 12-22-2001, 03:04 PM
On Vacation

Larry, no one is dismissing you or writing you off. You stated that buying the block was a lot of money for us "po' boys", well, welcome to racing.

Money is power, how fast can you afford to go?

Paul, I think you'll find that a call to IA will alleviate most of your worries. Dick stands behind all his products. Give it a shot, the number's even toll free. 1 888 RAM AIRS.

Old 12-24-2001, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Merry Christmas Jim & Paul...

Hoping you guys get a hug in before the year is out. Life is too short.

Old 12-21-2001, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As an afterthought; for @ $3500.00 you should get a completely prepped, washed, ready for bearings / assembly unit (at the very least).
I agree w/ Rash's view, if that's the case.
A Merlin II is way less. But then there's that Hybrid BS!

I'm not bashing your product Dick, but common sense & being frugil w/ your performance dollar is paramont. Esspecially as a po' boy.

Old 12-22-2001, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Case in point would be the $1200.00+ a month I pay in support to my ex-wives."

Well, there you go...that one sentence speaks volumes.

Old 12-30-2001, 10:31 PM
Senior Chief

Still no reply from Indian Adventures. I guess they don't answer e-mails anymore... I guess they thought I was kidding about buying one.

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Rashionality ]</p>

Old 12-21-2001, 10:47 PM
On Vacation

I'm still waiting for someone to lay down his/her own cash and come up with something better.

Any takers.....................

At least there is an alternative boys, if you're poor, you have no business racing, its not a poor man's sport.

Old 12-22-2001, 03:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome back P-dude. We missed you here.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 12-22-2001, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

[This message has been edited by David Holmberg (edited 12-22-2001).]

Old 01-05-2002, 11:27 PM
Senior Chief

Still no reply...guess my money is not green enough.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Rashionality ]</p>

Old 12-21-2001, 10:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Paul had a first Gen IA block. Pontiac Dude just built that block for a customer. As of Wed's night it ran low 5.90's (1/8th) in a 3500lb GTO,(Mufflers, DOT's, Power windows) motor only, on it's first trip out! There is more there, this thing is a BEAST!

Pontiac Dude also has his own IA block and has said on several occasions that it is a TOP quality block. Look for his IA motor, coming to a Strip near you, spring 2002...

Old 12-22-2001, 09:44 AM
On Vacation

Larry, you opened the can, don't be surprised if the worms come out. Seems to me, you've chapped your own ass over the years. Some people learn from their mistakes, some don't.

What myself and Brian have stated are facts, no matter how mad you get. If you can afford it, then do it, no one wants to hear you bitch about not being able to afford something, but really can, if you wanted to.

The point:

Some folks have spent the time and money, I could tell you how much, but no one would ever believe me, to give us something that by all logical accounts, we should NEVER have had. Believe me, there are very few who would make such sacrifices. For anyone to sit here and throw stones now that there is a finished product on the table that has been PROVEN to work, is very slanderous and very disrespectful.

Guys, the block works, its been proven, and really, what other choices do you have if you want to stay Pontiac? None. Toughen up a little bit.

Old 12-22-2001, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

P-Dude, don't beat around the bush. What are you trying to say? LOLOL. Good to see you again!

[This message has been edited by Jim Zeek (edited 12-22-2001).]