Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-10-2024, 03:59 PM

Default 69' Goat Tire Qs

hi, friends,

I've had my 69' Judge since high school in the early 80s

one of the first things I did to car way back then was ditch back (JA) rims and put a wider set of pontiac GP(?) rally rims so that I could put wider tires on back.

FF to today .. last warm season was spent getting car back together after a <long> stalled restoration. BFG radials on car are over 20 years old and have signs of rot.
car will be on the road this season and I'm about to buy some new tires.

BF's on front, on car's original JAs are 215 70r 14 on the back are 245 60 14

I'm thinking I might spring for a set of Firestone's from Coker ... don't really yet have my head around full implications of running car w/ rims mismatched as-is VS sourcing another 2 (or3) JAs and having same tires all around. I do realize going mismatched is screwy in terms of rotating tires and having needed spare(s).

thanks in advance for your thoughts ... c'mon spring !
mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	628306  

Old 02-10-2024, 04:31 PM

Your Judge along with every other Judge deserves the proper 14x6” wheels all around and some nice correct reproduction tires that make it as factory correct as possible.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

By asking I'm inclined to think others opinion of your car is more of a consideration than your own. I love the 'fatties' I did then and I do now. If it means that much to you and you like to show the car, buy a set of 'proper' wheels and tires for those potentially embarrassing times. Run you what 'you' like in a otherwise care free setting.

Frank

Old 02-11-2024, 05:21 PM

frank, I dig the fat out back too and can't foresee a situation where I'd be embarrassed to roll that way.
I posted Q in case there was a consideration I was missing.
it would be nice to have a rally II spare .. which leads to <two> .. one in each size and tires aint cheap that's for sure + sourcing rims.
there's still a lot to do on car but I'm feeling confident she'll be on the road this spring .. first time since early 90s (if you don't count the almost 4 miles ive put on car running around the neighborhood once she was rolling <last> spring.

appreciate your thoughts,
mike

Old 02-11-2024, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Find 2 JA's if you're considering it Mike, throw one in the back, a few cans of Fix-a-flt and a little compressor, how far do you need to go to fix a tire? You could get a standard Pontiac rim, mount a tire on it with the same diameter as the back to use if you're concerned with the limited slip, it would work on the front too. I don't see having a generic spare as a problem no longer than it's gonna be on the car. That's what I use, plus I have Fix-a-flat and a compressor, love my fatties man. Nice car!

Frank