The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-26-2001, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone replaced the rear quarter trim tabs on a 68 LeMans/GTO? The trim I'm referring to are the extensions that mimick the rocker panel trim.
My 68 has a little rust section on the passenger side- nothing major, but it's right in the middle of the tab (there are three tabs per side) that holds the trim down by the wheelwell.
Thanks-

------------------
John

Old 05-26-2001, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone replaced the rear quarter trim tabs on a 68 LeMans/GTO? The trim I'm referring to are the extensions that mimick the rocker panel trim.
My 68 has a little rust section on the passenger side- nothing major, but it's right in the middle of the tab (there are three tabs per side) that holds the trim down by the wheelwell.
Thanks-

------------------
John

Old 05-27-2001, 08:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

JC ,
If your talking about those little steel studs that hold the plastic clips on that inturn hold your 1/4 panel lower mldgs on . Once all your metal work is done . You need to find a body shop who has a stud gun . They are used to weld metal pulling stud's to dented area's , so you can straighten a dent without drilling holes the old fashioned way . With these stud guns you can weld the metal studs back on your repaired area . They work excellent and look like factory . You have to do these to bare metal , as it will not work over body filler .

Old 05-27-2001, 11:07 PM

Another thing you can do is Marson makes a special rivit for those clips. You can get them at your local Body shop Paint and supply store. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2001, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the ideas, guys.
What I'm actually talking about is the square tabs- they're approx. 1x2".
You guys gave me an idea- I can repair the rust, then fab a set of tabs. Then I'll just rivet them in place- once the trim is on, no one can see them.
Thanks again,

------------------
John