Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Chassis Restoration

I'm thinking about starting the restoration on my 71 GTO. The shop has some time right now and wants the car as soon as possible. While the body shop has the body I will get the chassis back to restore. I guess I'm looking for any advise or tips you guys have? What are some of the correct colors? What suspension kits are good and bad? What springs did you use? I see some cars sitting way to high. Pictures would be great. Would you use stainless or steel brake and fuel lines? I will need to have the rear end gone through and replace the steering gear, hopefully with a little quicker ratio. Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 GTO.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	454857  

Old 05-18-2017, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Who's doing the bodywork if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Senior Chief

Just a thought. May want to visit our page about the 71 Lemans Sport. Lots of info and photos...

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=800458

Old 05-19-2017, 03:07 PM

I like driving my car, so i had the frame, cross member, a-arms, sway bar etc all powder coated. Wasn't really interested in getting under there and replating/repainting everything every year.

W.C.A.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
I'm thinking about starting the restoration on my 71 GTO. The shop has some time right now and wants the car as soon as possible. While the body shop has the body I will get the chassis back to restore. I guess I'm looking for any advise or tips you guys have? What are some of the correct colors? What suspension kits are good and bad? What springs did you use? I see some cars sitting way to high. Pictures would be great. Would you use stainless or steel brake and fuel lines? I will need to have the rear end gone through and replace the steering gear, hopefully with a little quicker ratio. Thanks for any input.
I did the Jeep box conversion in my 67 Firebird, didn't like it - too sensitive/twitchy. I went with a stock replacement box for my 72 Lemans to retain a nice smooth stable sense of handling.

I just replaced my rear springs with Moog 5413. I love the ride height. Just a tiny touch of lift in the back compared to the front. I don't have significant road time on it yet to say anything about ride quality or traction. These springs are a linear rate, very close to stock.

pic...