The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best method to restore a frame - Powder vs. Paint

There is a shop nearby that will sandblast and powdercoat frames for $300. Not a bad deal at all, but how does a rusty frame that is blasted, then powdercoated turn out? Is pitting typically filled in with the powdercoating? Or is blasting/primer/filler/painting the only way to go to get a frame to look like new? Anyone with experience with this? thanks!!

Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM

The pitting will remain. If you want to powder paint you can fill the pits with JB Weld. It will survive the baking process.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Eastwood sells a filler made for powder coating.

http://www.eastwood.com/hi-temp-lab-metal-24-oz.html

Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tripower, please do a search on here for the pros and cons of both powder and priming/painting before you decide. Much info has been posted here in the past that will help you with your decision.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Suspended

Default powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
There is a shop nearby that will sandblast and powdercoat frames for $300. Not a bad deal at all, but how does a rusty frame that is blasted, then powdercoated turn out? Is pitting typically filled in with the powdercoating? Or is blasting/primer/filler/painting the only way to go to get a frame to look like new? Anyone with experience with this? thanks!!
I DID A 1965 GTO CHASSIS CONVERTIBLE FROM FLORIDA 5 YEARS AGO PITTED REAL BAD I SENT TO POWDER ASKED IF I PAID MORE WOULD THEY POWDER A FEW TIMES NO PROBLEM SO THEY SENT IT THROUGH THEIR PROCESS THREE TIMES WHEN I PICKED IT UP I WAS AMAZED I THEN SANDED DOWN THE POWDER FIXED A FEW AREAS WITH FILLER AND HIGH BUILD PRIMER AND GUN FINISHED IT AND IT LOOKED BETTER THAN NEW STILL ALOT OF WORK BUT LESS WORK THAN IF I JUST BLASTED AND DID BODYWORK IN MY OPINION. IF YOU LIKE PM ME AND I WILL WALK YOU THROUGH EXACTLY WHAT I DID REGARDS HOBI

Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Here is a pic of my frame, the pitting is not pretty, but I'm not doing a concours resto, so it doesn't bother me. The frame was blasted and then coated at the same time all the other parts were, so I don't have the price, but it was cheaper and faster than paint, and you can still fill and paint over if you need to. I'm happy for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Powercoat_Frame1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	347919  

Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've done a lot of research on here and other websites and have decided to use Rustoleum's professional Grade paint on my 65's chassis, I believe it''ll be fine. I've used standard Rustoleum on everything around here that sit'e outside year round and it still looks good a lot of years later.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutx2 View Post
I've done a lot of research on here and other websites and have decided to use Rustoleum's professional Grade paint on my 65's chassis, I believe it''ll be fine. I've used standard Rustoleum on everything around here that sit'e outside year round and it still looks good a lot of years later.
I've used the prof. Grade with good results
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	347923  

Last edited by jetallman; 12-29-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I actually picked up a gallon today at Menards, going to paint the frame soon. My car is custom, so I went with gloss black.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a foam roller and put on 3 coats of the Rustoleum professional and it turned out great.

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

+1 on the Rustoleum. I mix half and half gloss and flat, you can adjust the ratio to suit your desired "gloss". I usually put in some Velspar hardener, dries tough as nails, very, very durable. Will easily last longer than the OEM frame paint.

JohnnyB

Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

Paid about $500 dollars to blast my frame. So you have a good deal going. Finished mine up with the entire POR-15 paint system.

sitting out in the sun early in the fall to dry.

The best close up shots I have. Good luck on your project.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Suspended

I want to keep mine as is, but if i painted it, I would go this route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf1Z72Vj-iM