Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2023, 12:23 PM

Default Project Angry Bird - 68 Firebird Build

I’m starting the summary part of my build of a 68 Firebird originally a 350 2bbl auto car in Cameo Ivory with Red interior, Rally Wheels and a Console. Nothing special…. I’m building it to be a fun street car, able to race with the locals and do some no prep small tire racing. I’ll not have the initial HP to be competitive with 1200 and up HP cars, but I’m building the rolling car so that I could eventually drop a 2000hp bullet in and go racing!

Goal is 750-800 HP using some high end parts along with some old school stuff. Kauffman is providing many of my Engine Parts. Starting with a 70 400 Block with billet 4-Bolt caps and front cap. Filling the block to below freeze plugs. We will bore the block .030” over and align bore the mains, deck the block and do standard deburr, tapping front oil galleys, etc…. May do bronze bushings on the lifter bores if needed and will use a full SD Mega Brace epoxied in. Kauffman found me an Eagle 3” main 4.21” stroke (2.25” RJ) forged crank to mate to my 6.80” Aluminum new old stock Superod rods and Custom 4.155” bore Ross Pistons with Dish and set my static compression at 9.5:1. Balanced by KRE. Comp Hyd Roller .600”ish lift, 254 @ .050” Duration and 108 LS (may change). BOP belt. Luhn Pump, Stefs 1240 pan. Kauffman 80cc 330cfm High Ports with comp 930 springs. 1.6 ford rockers and KRE stud girdle (may change to t&d shaft), innovators west balancer. MSD 7AL-3 with Boost Timing Master to remove timing. For now I’m installing my 76mm TorqStorm Supercharger but by the time it’s built, I’ll either have twin 76s or a single 94mm so HP will be higher than my block can handle. Intake is port matched Northwind With C&S Aerosol 900 Blow through with super pro bowls for e85 and C&S Belt Driven Pump. Should see 12psi boost. Mad Dog 2” Primary race headers. Will have a 100-150 shot of Nitrous for a scramble. Timing will be pulled for it with 7AL-3.

All engine parts are in hand just waiting to deburr/fill block and then it all goes to machine shop soon.

Body is a total restoration and I’m doing all of the work. It needs Trunk and Floor Pans, both frame rails, inner/outer rockers, quarters, tail pan, mini tubs, trunk drops, firewall and cowl, plus cowl shoulders and more…. May have been easier to list what I didn’t replace. I’ve already built a jig and set the body on it, stripped the car and have blasted it and I’m ready to epoxy and start putting it back together.

Front stub is on my Fab Table with tube arms, ViKing coilovers, mustang rack, 2” dropped spindles and wilwood brakes. Cutting all crossmembers out, and tubing out the front of the subframe with 4130 tube for high clearance and to lighten the car. Up front will be a big radiator, intercooler and surge tank with clear view filter. Will feed Nitrous from surge tank with its own pump.

I’ll build a 7.50 cage and plan on still keeping most of my factory interior. It would be too pretty not to have that red interior! Wife wants leather so I may have someone do it but I want factory appearance.

Rear suspension is 9” Ford with 3.23 gear 35 spline, strange axles, braced and retubed with DOM. Calvert Mono leafs with 1” drop. Assassin Bars, Innovative Racecraft front adjustable perches, Funkhouser ARB, 10Deg sliders and shock mounts. Viking Shocks.

Powerglide with SFI bell and a Brake and 3800 Hughes Converter is already purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk