Old 03-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good idea. At first I was going the brute force route last night by taking a deep well socket that is as close in diameter as the LED and figured if I can force that in, then wiggle it around, then the bulb would fit. (My main concern being not to force the bulb to avoid breaking it!) But your way sounds smarter I'll give it a go later today.

THANKS AGAIN!

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately we are a no go. It did not work. I'm concerned that if I take up too much more material the entire socket will come out of the housing. Take a look at the pics. I'll call the bulb company tomorrow.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see what you mean. It looks like mine but mine fit. I was meaning to clean out the inside and make the hole bigger around so the bulb would slip down in. But I see what you mean that the bulb fits and won't go down in the hole. Maybe your sockets are deeper than mine. I will try and take some pictures of mine and post them.
Dale

Old 03-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Adam,
OK, there is something definitely different. If you look at the pictures of my housings they look exactly like yours. But if you look at the closeup with the LED in you'll see mine does not go in as far as yours does. There is actually space still between the lip on the LED and the rim of the socket. So I am thinking your sockets are deeper than mine for some reason.
It always seems like it is something when we try to do a project on these old cars. It never goes as smooth as we want it to.
Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170312_181749 - Copy.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	449461   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170312_181857 - Copy.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	449462   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170312_181939 - Copy.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	449463  

Old 03-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Initially I was grinding down the angle where vertical meets horizontal, wick didn't help. Then I went on to to top surface, which didn't help.

Yes, clearly your bulb isn't going as far down as mine. Keep in mind that I hadn't tried the other side yet as I didn't get that bulb out. I figured I'd work on this one first.

I'll call the company and see if there's a narrower bulb with the same base, otherwise I may just go back to incandescent all around since I'm having weird issues anyway.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Adam,
If you can't get it to work I would contact JDM. He has a lot of other bulbs and one of them might fit better. But first I would try the other side and see if they are both that way.
Dale

Old 03-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can do you one better. Imagine getting all this apart and then finding out they are 1157 bulbs not the 1156 the parts store guy sold you

Old 03-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I emailed JDM and they did some research then replied with one suggested bulb. I'm not sure they will work, but it's worth a try I guess...

------------------------------

Hello Adam,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Always glad to assist a valued customer.

The photo you sent us helps us tremendously and we checked quite a few options and even put a caliper to it. The only option that came close to those dimensions is the following CSP model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-ASTAR-11...xXl7MO&vxp=mtr

These measured at 17.3mm with a digital caliper to it. (see pic)

I know it is over the allowed measurement but do you think you can make something like this work? You can also maybe swap the sockets out with a different that allows fitment for aftermarket bulbs.

Send us the order number so that we can help you begin a return.

Kind Regards,

Jose Cornejo
Customer Service Manager
JDM ASTAR LLC
15306 Valley Blvd
City of Industry, CA 91746
Ph: (626)330 - 0711
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bulb.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	449591  

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry frustrating project!

I have to vent: Why do so many things that are sold as "direct fit" replacements / upgrades require ANY, A-N-Y modifications?

As for the sprung wires and restoring their travel within the boot and housing, I had the same problem...1157s went back in.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, this is my last ditch effort before reverting back to original bulbs too.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
I emailed JDM and they did some research then replied with one suggested bulb. I'm not sure they will work, but it's worth a try I guess...
Adam,
If I remember right the 64 front parking lamp used a yellow lens with a clear bulb. With LEDs they work better if the LED is the same color as the lens. In your case it would work best if he had that bulb in a yellow. The white will work but it will actually wash out and not be as bright.

I hope this works for you because I know you really wanted to convert to LEDs. Did you ever try the other side to see if it had the same problem? Someone recommended changing the socket. I am having to do that with one of mine because someone rebuilt it with the wrong socket. This is the socket I was looking at ordering. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500124 This is another one I was considering. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-5401pt I am planning on ordering them both and use the one that fits best. The second one uses two springs to hold it in and doesn't have the built up area that is causing you problems. The first one is a more stock type replacement.

Dale

Old 03-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since the socket is swaged over the opening in the light housing, I would be surprised if production tolerances caused more to be used during the swaging process on highrisk's than AIA's, resulting in different net depths between the two cars' sockets.

Quick question: AdamIsAdam and highrisk, do you guys have the SAME LED device sourced from the SAME supplier?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, we're using the same bulbs from same supplier. He's got much more clearance on his, meaning his socket depth is not as deep as mine.

I would prefer yellow and originally bought yellow LED's but, well, we know how well that turned out. If these work, I'll deal with a washed out front in exchange for brighter tail/brake lights.

I don't see how you can get those summit sockets to work without pretty big modification based on how the originals are sort of riveted on.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I could buy new housings at $40 each!

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

Part#
B150D Add to Cart >> $40.00 Close
Description 1964-65 PARKING LAMP HOUSING, LH OR RH (RE)
Net Comments FITS ALL MODELS, FITS EITHER SIDE. COMES WITH HARNESS. DOES NOT INCLUDE BULB, LENS, GASKET OR HARDWARE. SEE B150DA FOR MTG KIT
Shipping Normal shipping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ames.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	449614  

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Since the socket is swaged over the opening in the light housing, I would be surprised if production tolerances caused more to be used during the swaging process on highrisk's than AIA's, resulting in different net depths between the two cars' sockets.

Quick question: AdamIsAdam and highrisk, do you guys have the SAME LED device sourced from the SAME supplier?
Yes, I recommended the bulbs and supplier to Adam because I was really impressed with them once I installed them.
Dale

Old 03-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I don't see how you can get those summit sockets to work without pretty big modification based on how the originals are sort of riveted on.
The one I am working on has already been modified and the socket has ears that are bent over holding the socket in. So all I have to do is straighten the ears and this improper socket will fall off. As far as the original all you would have to do is take a pair of pliers and carefully straighten the rim on the inside that is rolled to hold it in. It should just fall out then.

Dale

Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I guess I could buy new housings at $40 each!
I have actually considered those if I can't get the one working properly with the socket I am going to get from Summit. A little on the expensive side, but it would cure my problem of the wrong socket.
Dale

Old 03-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

------------------------------

Hello Adam,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Always glad to assist a valued customer.

The photo you sent us helps us tremendously and we checked quite a few options and even put a caliper to it. The only option that came close to those dimensions is the following CSP model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-ASTAR-11...xXl7MO&vxp=mtr

These measured at 17.3mm with a digital caliper to it. (see pic)

I know it is over the allowed measurement but do you think you can make something like this work? You can also maybe swap the sockets out with a different that allows fitment for aftermarket bulbs.

Send us the order number so that we can help you begin a return.

Kind Regards,

Jose Cornejo
Customer Service Manager
JDM ASTAR LLC
15306 Valley Blvd
City of Industry, CA 91746
Ph: (626)330 - 0711
On the good news/bad news front update, the new bulbs came today and THEY FIT! wahoo. And they're plenty bright. I do see how they are less yellow than the incandescent ones, but it's certainly fine.

The bad news is that my setup is still not working properly. I just emailed JDM and they have tech looking into the results of this video:

https://youtu.be/7YFFAQYuBtY

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
On the good news/bad news front update, the new bulbs came today and THEY FIT! wahoo. And they're plenty bright. I do see how they are less yellow than the incandescent ones, but it's certainly fine.

The bad news is that my setup is still not working properly. I just emailed JDM and they have tech looking into the results of this video:

https://youtu.be/7YFFAQYuBtY
Adam,
WOW, sorry for all of the problems. I feel kind of bad because I recommended this stuff to you. Did you put your standard bulbs back in to see if you are having the problems even with the original bulbs back in? What doesn't make any sense is that the rear bulbs worked great when you first put them in. I wonder if you have a ground problem somewhere.
Dale

Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, Dale, it's all YOUR fault!

Nah, don't sweat it. I appreciate the leg work you did. The rep told me to first try the old flasher, then to put back all the OEM bulbs, then put in front LED's only (which is harder than he realizes on this car) then start putting in rear LED's in pairs. He thinks there may be a bad bulb in the mix.

I would say yes to the group issue, especially since it's getting power with key off when hitting turn signal and parking lights on, but it's not doing it w/OEM bulbs. I guess there's a slight bit of power leaking through a ground and it's not enough to light up the OEM bulbs but enough to light up the LED's maybe.

Off to the garage I go for more testing...

469, M21, 3.42