Old 10-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

Default Flywheel bolt holes don't align

Trying to install the flywheel my engine builder supplied with the re-build, but for the life of me I cannot get the bolt holes to line up with the crank hub. It's the right flywheel for a 66 389 according to the Hays website. Is there some alignment index that I'm missing that will put the holes in the right orientation? I think I've tried ever combination at least once and the one that is closest only 2 bolts go in. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing that it is a manual transmission? If it is and it doesn't bolt up, it's probably the wrong flywheel.
It will only bolt on 1 way.

If it's an automatic, are you trying to put it on backwards??

Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure you rotate the flywheel one hole at a time until they all line up. All the holes will only line up at one position.

If you have already done this then maybe you do have the wrong flywheel.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Chief

2nd call for checking if it's backwards...happens more often then not when you can't get it to line up

Wayne S

1966 Le Mans Convertible STATUS: *In Progress*
389 (sixty over)/200-4R/10 Bolt (3.08 for now)

My other ride is a 71 Jeep J4000 Pick-up Truck with factory Buick 350/Th400

Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have it clocked wrong, as stated. The first GTO I ever had, someone had taken a die grinder and wallowed out the holes because they couldn't figure out how it went on! Try it in each position.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Senior Chief

I admit I did not systematically test each hole, just kept moving it around expecting to find the right combo. I will do a complete 360 check this evening. I thought about the backward thing, but I checked it against the shop manual and it looks right according to that, the "ring gear" toward transmission.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It must be an automatic trans you have, then. If it were a standard transmission, there's no way you would be confused as to which way the flywheel went on....very, very obvious.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The holes are pretty tight too.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Chief

The flywheel is stamped Hays 13-130 which is correct for a 66 389 per Hays/Summit/Jegs and is drilled for a 10.5 Borg and Beck style clutch which I have. However, the engine (and presumably the crank in it) came from a 66 GTO automatic. Would the crank "hub" be different in the automatic install?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Nope...

most likely the 'wheel is drilled wrong. I doubt that the crank is as it worked before...correct? ''it happens!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You say the crank came from an automatic trans car, Does the end hub of the crank have a hole for the Pilot Bushing? I don't know if the bolt patterns between the standards and auto.'s are different, but you will need a pilot bushing/bearing.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like you do indeed have a stick car, and you are trying to install the flywheel backwards. The ring gear goes towards the oil pan on the engine, NOT the transmission. The smooth, machined side with the tapped holes on the outer perimiter are for the clutch pressure plate, or clutch cover. The clutch disc goes between the flywheel and clutch cover. It IS easy to put a clutch disc in backwards. The machined and smmoth side of the flywheel faces the trans. The crankshaft bolt patterns are all the same, auto or stick. However, some cranks from auto engines are not machined for a pilot bearing or bushing. There is a hole, just the wrong size. If you have one of these cranks, you can have a bronze pilot bushing machined to fit for very little money. An actual pilot bearing is the way to go, though, if your crank will accept it. If the crank is out of the car, you can have it machined to accept the factory sized pilot bearing.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you all. I am now convinced I am snake-bitten. Attached are pics of the hub, which is machined for a pilot bearing (although it is a very snug fit) and the flywheel oriented as I read Mr. GEETEEOHGUY's directions, ring gear (teeth) to oil pan. As I look at the exploded parts diagram in my CD version Shop Manual this seems reverse to me. In any event the six holes do not line up whichever surface I put toward the pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crank Hub.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	221767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flywheel 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	221768  

Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too bad about the bolt holes drilled improperly in the flywheel....hopefully you can exchange it. Yes, you DO have it in the correct position in the photo, though. Kind of hard to bolt the clutch cover onto it if you had it turned the other way!!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lay some paper over the crank hub and poke some holes where the holes are then lay it on top of the flywheel and check it, the paper is a hell of allot lighter!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You should be able to put the flywheel on the crank and the hub will hold it up.
Rotate the flywheel (spin) 1 bolt hole at a time.
Check each bolt hole position for all holes lining up.

It will only line up in one position.
So you may have to rotate it all the way around.
One position seems to be close (couple holes may line up) but just go to the next position until all line up.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Chief

It is obvious from the pic's that it is the wrong flywheel.Engine pic shows top 2 holes are the close ones and on the flywheel they are all equal......JB.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget to install the pilot bearing once you get the correct flywheel

Old 10-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie9901 View Post
It is obvious from the pic's that it is the wrong flywheel.Engine pic shows top 2 holes are the close ones and on the flywheel they are all equal......JB.
To me, it looks like the hole at 4 o'clock on the flywheel would line up with the hole at 10 o'clock on the crank hub and the 6 o'clock hole on the flywheel would line up with the hole at 12 o'clock on the crank hub as they are pictured above.

So what I am saying is, if holding the flywheel as pictured above, rotate it 180 deg and match it up with the hole on the crank hub also as pictured above.

Just my observation.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The following doesn't apply to you since you have a flywheel, but I'll post it for others that might come across the problem.

There's a sadistic guy in charge of labels over in China that enjoys the hell out of slapping "This Side Toward Engine" decals on the trans side of flexplates. No big deal since they will only bolt up one way, but it does cause a moment or two of concern.