Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pertronix - Houston we have a problem

Perhaps i should have held off on installing until after getting the car running (after 26 years in storage), but I've replaced the points setup on my 63 gp driver with a pertronix ignitor (series 1181LS). This is the Lobe Sensor series that doesn't require the magnet sleeve under the rotor.

I'm using the original coil and it checks at 2.3ohms on primary, 8000 on secondary. voltage test with ignition at on position was 7.5 volts at the coil's positive terminal.

Assuming this car has a resistor wire, i ran a wire from the IGN leg on the fuse block to the red lead on the Pertronix Ignitor and ran the negative lead of the Ignitor to the negative side of the coil.

I've installed a new rotor, cap and flamethrower 7mm wires.

I want to set the initial timing at 6 BTDC so i located the balancer and verified position of rotor at #1 plug wire location.

Then with the ignition switch in the on-position, i used my inductive timing light to dial it in on #1 cylinder slowly turning the distributor back and forth. However, its not activating the timing light. I even pulled out my 40 year old non-inductive CAL timing light and tried it as well. Not sure why..

The ignition switch was at the on position for up to a minute during each test but i periodically checked the coil to ensure it wasn't getting hot.

I really want this motor to fire up at startup since it has sat for so long. New oil and filter and primed engine at dizzy. Replaced fuel tank, sending unit, new fuel pump and filter and rebuilt AFB carb and maintained settings on idle adjustments..

What am i doing wrong?

Old 11-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wont work that way with the pertronics. While turning by hand, its not moving fast enough to fire the coil. Needs to move faster for the magnetics to fire.

POCI.org
Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What Keith says is true, with the lobe sensor, the dist needs to spin faster to trigger the coil.

george

Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks for the response. well, maybe next weekend we'll get this car started...

Old 11-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your over thinking it, just point the rotor at #1 and crank it over. After you get it started you can set the timing more accurately.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

I set it on #1 then advance it towards #8 about 1/8th to start.