Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-30-2001, 01:05 PM

I have a 1966 GTO with a 335 HP 4bbl set-up. I will be having the engine redone and would like some advise. I will be putting the '66 tri-power set-up on it and upgrading the exhaust to 2-1/2". Does anyone have some advise for me on the Cam? I believe the 335 HP came with the 067 and the tri-power came with the 068. There was also the "XS" ram cam that year. I want to have a car with a lot of pep, but not a drag car. Which direction should I go? Is the 068 enough cam?

Thanks

Robert

Old 03-30-2001, 01:05 PM

I have a 1966 GTO with a 335 HP 4bbl set-up. I will be having the engine redone and would like some advise. I will be putting the '66 tri-power set-up on it and upgrading the exhaust to 2-1/2". Does anyone have some advise for me on the Cam? I believe the 335 HP came with the 067 and the tri-power came with the 068. There was also the "XS" ram cam that year. I want to have a car with a lot of pep, but not a drag car. Which direction should I go? Is the 068 enough cam?

Thanks

Robert

Old 03-30-2001, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 068 is plenty of cam, but I would go with a new design. The "XS" you referred to was the 744 ("H") cam that came on the first 67 RA cars. The block for the stick shift car was an XS. The 744 was a good cam to run a long time ago, but it is a primitive design. Pontiac had a maximum lift of 0.404”. This cam had enough duration that it got to the max lift before the duration was over. The result was that the nose of the cam looks flat. If you don’t want to do anything to your heads or valves, look for something around 215-220 on the intake and 225-230 on the exhaust. These durations are measured at 0.050” with about 0.440” lift and a 112 LSA. As always, check that your valve springs do not go into coil bind with a new cam.

------------------
Jim

Old 03-30-2001, 03:21 PM

Jim,

Thanks for the info!

Robert