THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-18-2022, 01:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Is Gen X the most nostalgic generation??

I was on a customer trip last week and while we are sitting around drinking one of the guys (44 years old) starts talking about shoes and that the only shoes he is buying from now on are the Nike Air Max 97’s (it’s a reissue from 1997) because when he was in high school and college these were THE shoe to have. Similarly, I like the Nike Tuned Air from 1999 that you can buy today.

So then we started talking about all the things we focus on from our youth- I have bought reissue toys, I have a skateboard collection now of the ones I wanted growing up. I obviously want/have the cars from that era. I just spent a ton of money to see Poison and Motley Crue, Thrasher T shirts- can’t tell you how many I have.

So I’m thinking now that Gen X (my generation) may be the most nostalgic generation and I never saw that coming….

Old 09-18-2022, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a gen X (54yo). I consider myself more nostalgic than not. There isn't much from the last 20-25 years that interests me. The things I do like.. cars.. music.. TV shows.. etc.. are from the 60's.. 70's.. 80's.. early 90's. I will confess... I do like my '21 Scat Pack and my '18 Sierra quite a bit .

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 09-18-2022, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At 61, I'm a late boomer, and in school in the '60's and '70's, nobody really gave a crap about shoes. It was a pre-digital, pre-information age, and totally different times. No cell phones. No internet. Just roller disco, feathered hair, tight pants, jacked-up hot rods, and rock and roll.

Old 09-18-2022, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, the closer you get to dyin the more you long for the good ole days! Just wait till your my age. ��

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2022, 03:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I have a skateboard collection now of the ones I wanted growing up.
Glad it's not just me!

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 09-18-2022, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no idea what you're talking about...says the guy who went to a Pavement concert earlier in the week and was driving yesterday around playing Screaming Trees on the tape deck in his recently acquired '95 T/A yesterday.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-18-2022, 04:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dude you just threw out a screaming trees reference!

Peter- do you ever go to SoCalskateshop. com? That’s where I have bought most of my reissues.

Old 09-18-2022, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Late boomer here. Obviously old cars, but I have a few neon signs, pinball machines, Slot cars, HO and Lionel trains, etc. Always liked the old gas pumps and soda machines and coolers.

I think all generations want what THEY remember, so the nostalgia is still there, the items just change.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2022, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a heck of a crowd to make that assertion to. Why do you think we all like these old cars that were popular in our youth?
Seriously, I think every generation goes through it. Certainly not limited to one or two.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess I just don’t remember my dad having anything from his youth or reliving it. Maybe we didn’t have the extra money or maybe it wasn’t important to him.

I also didn’t expect things to be reissued like they have been.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2022, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, yeah. I'm nostalgic about the time that I felt disenfranchised. But I always had my music. And Alternative was my music. A music genre that seemed to be a product of the challenges that my cohort faced. Some great concerts, got to see Nirvana when they were here. Got to see Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, etc. Sometimes in smaller venues when they were emerging. And these guys were wicked musicians. So I feel very nostalgic when some obscure alternative song comes on that I hadn't heard in years as well. Other than that, my life was very challenging back then. A devastating recession lingered here until 1995-1996. People older than I were more established in their jobs. They weren't giving them up. They weren't retiring. Who wouldn't feel like the lost generation with those kind of opportunites? And now? My kids like to remind me that I'm older, not relevant, and that my stories are anecdotal. Perfect!

Last edited by 66sprint6; 09-18-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nostalgic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksmuG8z5zAY

Old 09-18-2022, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I was on a customer trip last week and while we are sitting around drinking one of the guys (44 years old) starts talking about shoes and that the only shoes he is buying from now on are the Nike Air Max 97’s (it’s a reissue from 1997) because when he was in high school and college these were THE shoe to have. Similarly, I like the Nike Tuned Air from 1999 that you can buy today.

So then we started talking about all the things we focus on from our youth- I have bought reissue toys, I have a skateboard collection now of the ones I wanted growing up. I obviously want/have the cars from that era. I just spent a ton of money to see Poison and Motley Crue, Thrasher T shirts- can’t tell you how many I have.

So I’m thinking now that Gen X (my generation) may be the most nostalgic generation and I never saw that coming….
I listened to Motley in High School because that is what there was. I had the first version of Too Fast for Love in my area. It came from down south as you could not get it here in 82.
But Gen X is what took down Hair Metal. Alternative was much better music for me.
I was born late 64 and they try and tell me I am a boomer. Rubbish. You mean my wife who was a sophomore when I was a senior is Gen X and I am Boomer ?
Nope, we grew up together, remember the same stuff and that means we are the same.
I am Gen X.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Oh, yeah. I'm nostalgic about the time that I felt disenfranchised. But I always had my music. And Alternative was my music. A music genre that seemed to be a product of the challenges that my cohort faced. Some great concerts, got to see Nirvana when they were here. Got to see Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, etc. Sometimes in smaller venues when they were emerging. And these guys were wicked musicians. So I feel very nostalgic when some obscure alternative song comes on that I hadn't heard in years as well. Other than that, my life was very challenging back then. A devastating recession lingered here until 1995-1996. People older than I were more established in their jobs. They weren't giving them up. They weren't retiring. Who wouldn't feel like the lost generation with those kind of opportunites? And now? My kids like to remind me that I'm older, not relevant, and that my stories are anecdotal. Perfect!
Kurt dying for me was one of those moments for me that I will not forget. Got choked up, was expecting so much more from him.
I can name a good 20 Nirvana song off the top of my head and about 40-50 if I really sit down and think about it.
Early in the 90s something happened in music. It was tiered and worn out for awhile then Kurt changed all that. All this new music started showing up and I started buying records again. My wife used to love it when I would bring home a new CD every week or two.
Great time for music from 88 to the late 2000s.
Ted Nugent, who I agree with on some things stated he was glad when Kurt died. What a creep, I was done with him. It was his kind of worn out music, degrading of women music Kurt helped make go away. Maybe that is why he hated him.
I find it funny Ted goes on some right wing shows, Rush used to promote him. And if you listed to the lyrics from Hard as Nails, Spit it Out( its about what you think it is), Scream Dream, Wango Tango ect they might have had a different opinion of him.
90s alternative, the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2022, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For some reason, as I get close to retiring, I'm getting more nostalgic. I was out for my daily walk and taked to one of my neighbors, who recently bought a new motorcycle. He offered to let me take it for a ride. I didn't accept, but may take him up on it. I rode motorcycles when I was young, but not the conventional type. I had the big 2-stroke street bikes, notably a Kawasaki 750H2 and a Suzuki GT-550. The Kawasaki was incredibly fast, but the Suzuki was a much better street bike. I always wanted a Suzuki 750 2-stroke water cooled, it was called the Water Buffalo. So last night I start searching Craigslist for old bikes and was playing CCR and other VietNam War mixes on youtube.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about...says the guy who went to a Pavement concert earlier in the week and was driving yesterday around playing Screaming Trees on the tape deck in his recently acquired '95 T/A yesterday.
One of the people I carpooled with to high school listened to the ‘Singles’ soundtrack on tape and that Screaming Trees song stood out as one of the better ones on the compilation.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Screaming Trees were criminally underrated. Sweet Oblivion and Dust are fantastic albums, even if Lanegan disowned them.

I don't consider myself sentimental, but I've always been nostalgic. Ever since I was a little kid, I've been into history and how culture evolves over time. It's not that I reminisce about "the good old days" at all, but I do have an appreciation for things that represent aspects of pop culture at a certain point in time. As time rolls on, I'm sure things from the '00s or '10 will emerge.

By the way, I'll just leave this here: https://super7.com/

They've taken a fair amount of my money over the years.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-19-2022, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the Singles DVD awhile back. Have not watched it.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I guess I just don’t remember my dad having anything from his youth or reliving it. Maybe we didn’t have the extra money or maybe it wasn’t important to him.

I also didn’t expect things to be reissued like they have been.
My dad didn’t want to relive his youth. He was still trying to figure out HOW he survived it.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-19-2022, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Me neither.

I think it was because he was out creating the things that I am nostalgic for.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926