THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Does anyone want to move to /South Florida and enjoy the largess of the hobby

The beauty of south florida is that you can drive your pontiac 356 days per year. It is also the home of Barrett Jackson Palm Beach, and the largest Cars n Coffee in the United States- 2,200 cars this past January. John Staluppi also has his museum of about 200 top notch cars.
With that being said, I can't get to attend many of these because our workload for land surveying is ridiculous, so if you know anyone in the business (office surveyor with long cad skills), and think this may be the life for them, please have them contact me at arayman@engenuitygroup.com
(if they don't have a Pontiac, I will loan them my '64 droptop)

Old 01-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother lives in SW FL., Cape Coral. My wife and I have been going to Sanibel for 2 weeks every Oct. for the last 26 yrs. Yes, the weather is great there longer, but if you take away the days that are over 90* and humid, along with much more Rain than we have here in SE Pa. I much rather live here than Florida. Besides,...we get 4 months or more to work on and improve our cars in the winter ,without worries of missing a great car event or cruise. I also drive my car all year long if not working on it. Of course not when the roads are wet and salty.

Dave

Old 01-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck on finding an LS CAD guru and the choice to enjoy more life for you is a proper one! 3 years since left telcom engineer CAD etc after whole life. So I remember that world although I try to preserve remaining brain by not retaining memories of it

LS is hopping there I bet. It is in NW Montana, my buddy is one and he is super busy. Call Block Surveying and woe him with old project Mustangs, he might be tired of snow.....

I remember the old transit days and the gear and methodology now is way past that! I never progressed beyond the dummy end on survey. I could run a good level course though for manhole / conduit design.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, Andre, spent four years down there. It’s a great place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there again.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No way Jose! I've been to two car shows in Florida and both times
my cars became completely covered with a sticky salt film from the ocean air
in just a few hours of sitting outside. Thanks but no.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:50 PM

Panama City is about as far as I want to go, that way I can make a fast retreat to Alabama which looks a whole lot like Southern Indiana!!!!

Old 01-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Compared to rust hole Massachusetts.....yes yes yes.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
No way Jose! I've been to two car shows in Florida and both times
my cars became completely covered with a sticky salt film from the ocean air
in just a few hours of sitting outside. Thanks but no.
Its like the Jersey shore.. There are some huge shows down there but I refuse to take my cars down there due to the salt film and the same blowing into the interior

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 01-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would love to. Sick of cold weather!!!!

Old 01-24-2018, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
I would love to. Sick of cold weather!!!!
Do you like 90 degrees and 90% humidity on a daily basis? Horrific hurricane insurance rates? 70+ yr old snowbirds in string bikinis and Speedos?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Do you like 90 degrees and 90% humidity on a daily basis? Horrific hurricane insurance rates? 70+ yr old snowbirds in string bikinis and Speedos?
We have that in MA most of July and Aug.

I'm not a fan of 0 degree weather and 17" of snow at a shot. Or even 6" of snow. Salt all over the roads. You can't wash the cars. It's grey and depressing for 4 months.....F that.

I'll take hot and humid for 6 months of the year over this BS all the time.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what they make AC for and the pool/ocean.

I'm in middle of state, never real hot, had rain about 10 times in 7 years.
(except hurricane which ended up a non event here)

I go about 60 miles to ocean or about 80 miles to Gulf.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Thanks

Hey Andre

Thanks for posting the job offer

Jim

Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
I was in Hawaii once on business and was sitting in a basement bar, where you were at eye level looking at the beach, and a old fart in a string thingy walks by and I almost puked. This was a guy, jeeze; it probably would have been even scarier had he been a she at that age.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you need a truck driver Andre let me know. I wish now I'd kept at that surveying degree back in 1970. But at least I can hold that "stick". LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It always seems like folks on the east coast and even mid west have this mentality that to escape the cold you go to Florida.

No offense, but Florida has some downsides... Not sure why people from back east rarely consider a move west. I moved from NY to San Diego. The country's best weather. Yes, its crowded. But none of the down sides of Florida. Also, there are plenty of other good locations. San Lois Obispo, California along the 395, parts of Arizona are beautiful, new mexico is awesome, etc.

People think its expensive here - but they don't consider - what costs more, a 1 million dollar house that's worth 2 million in 10-15 years, or a 200k house that's worth 200k in 10-15 years?

Some culture differences out west compared to the east - but Florida? not sure why people always see that as an escape path.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^

I'm no fan of Florida, but California is just as bad.

They don't have earthquakes in Florida. There aren't the mudslides and raging fires like in California. There aren't perpetual water shortages in Florida.

Was just out in Pasadena for the Rose Parade for 6 days and then cruised up to Carmel for a recreation of our 6 month wedding anniversary dinner at the Hog's Breath Inn in Carmel from July 2nd of 1973 when I was attending the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio of Monterey.

It was a nice trip, but after eight days, it was time to get back to the Midwest. It was -15 when I left Minnesota, 83 when I landed in California and -10 when I returned to Minnesota. A little chilly weather is a small price to pay for being able to enjoy 4 diverse seasons and have a reasonable cost of living. Oh, and houses appreciate in Minnesota and a young couple can actually afford to buy a house....

Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Senior Chief

I worked as an instrument operator for several years before the company I worked for went under. Sorry but no CAD

Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ANY site along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts from Myrtle Beach, SC to Brownsville, Tx is horrible hot sticky humid in the summer. We are 35 miles from the coast down here and I would like to move up north of the D/FW area, say Sherman/Denison/Gainesville/Sanger - something like that. No or much less humidity, no black telephone bugs twice a year, the hurricanes are worn out by the time they blow through, not as much car show and related stuff as Florida but better than down here near Houston. The Peoples Republic of California is great weather wise and has gorgeous areas but way too expensive for us now and waaaaay too restrictive in any other way you'd want to mention. Actually I wouldn't mind a place just north of D/FW and then another one near Norwalk, Ohio for the hot summer months but I can't afford two shops with all of the equipment I have and I gotta have that stuff close at hand so I can putter when I want to.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I lover Florida, spend a lot of time in the Palm Beach area. Weather is great to me, yes even August. This past August I was there for 3 weeks, hot, yes but beats the crap out of NY winters.
I will get there eventually. No I am not a surveyor