THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How long should I keep storing these parts

As the title says. The parts (4 rally2 wheels) then purchased later- a formula steering wheel, all by the same guy who has promised to come and pick them up (to avoid shipping costs).
They have been paid for in full.
How long am I obligated to store them before the revert back to the original owner?

Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would suggest that if you did not made a specific collection date with the buyer, or more specifically you did not set a FINAL date that you would store them to, you are obligated to continue storing them.

UNTIL, you write him a letter to which you can have a guaranteed receipt that he has it, in which you set a specific date for collection. And I would guess that you would have to allow a "reasonable" time period to elapse before you can evoke the forfeit goods rule.

Or can you simply phone him, record the conversation (tell him you are recording it), and set out a date.

JMHO

Ian

Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

I have a bare block I've been holding about 25+ years for a guy. The cast dates didn't exactly work for him, but he bought it to make sure he had at least the correct code. He asked me to hold it for awhile while he continued to look. He later bought another block that matched up with the dates he needed. I asked him what he wanted me to do with it, and he said he'd get back with me.

I was relocated to Raleigh a few years later. I called to let the buyer know I had moved, but his phone was disconnected. The only info I had was his first name and telephone number. I didn't keep the envelope he sent the check in, so I am clueless how to contact him.

I plan to continue holding onto the block until I can't store it any longer. I wouldn't feel right about selling it to anybody else until I'm sure he's never going to come looking for it.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have much sympathy for people that don't pick up their parts. Anything of size, let them know when the dead line is and that there will be a storage charge after that.

Had a good friend that moved away, left me a vintage motorcycle engine that he had worked on for someone. Gave me his number, email etc., it was all paid up. I called the guy a half dozen times, emailed etc. Finally told him the engine was going to the recycler the next week. I'd had the engine for over a year at that point.

So he comes up to the house, polite, talkative ... I load the engine into the back of his van. Soon as I close the door he starts screaming obscenities at me like a crazed woman. Runs and hops in the drivers seat and zooms away. I was very close to standing in front of his Van and kicking his ass. But this nut probably would have run over me.

He was screaming crap about him being broke, working for NY State, living with his mother (he was like 50) and how I'm a bleeping, bleeping, bleeping, bleepbag for making him come get his engine.

Needless to say I called my friend and told him to never leave anything that belongs to anyone else with me. I think he knew that guy was a nut.

The guy had NO idea where his engine was, I could have sold it, thrown it out ... I was doing a favor for my friend ... and this guy just wigged out on me.

I'm still pissed about it 5 years later.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Poncho I think your guy is not coming.
I would say 90 days is more than enough time to hold a part unless there is further communication from the buyer explaining why he couldn't make it and when he would.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

3-4 months is a reasonable limit for slomo get round to-it types. beyond that they are operating in some alternate universe at months out.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to rick c
Default how long....

in Poncho Mikes case 25 years, I bet the person died.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well..i guess i'm screwed up..because once they are paid for, they belong to the new owner...

6 months is along time..but ive done it for people right here..and i would prob go a year....especially if the guy paid quickly and didnt beat me down on price, he may not get premium climate controlled storage anymore.....i'm loyal that way...and as long as he keeps in contact and doesnt avoid me he gets a little more patience.

id contact the buyer/owner....id be firm.."you have 2 weeks..30 days or what ever you feel is right...to pick these up...with no excuses.."

"you miss the date...i return your money and sell them...or i send them to you COD, or you pay shipping to avoid COD fees..you make the choice..if you cant make a choice..i refund your money and they belong to me again...and i will do what i want..you have 2 or 3 or 7 days to make a decision..its all on you"...that should light a fire and make him do something quick..it would me

i feel its fair..and the right thing to do...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have sold stuff to people at Norwalk who asked me to hold it and they would pick it up at the end of the day as they were leaving, and I've never seen them again. I usually took the items back the next year and held it for them but after that I sold it to the next buyer, or I've still got it I can't remember.

Right now I've got a pair of sd carbs I restored for a guy, who gave me the carbs to do in '12, and I've spoken to him and written him several times and he says he will send me what he owes me but he never does anything. I hate to sell these things out from under him but I don't want to have them sitting here when I go to the big workbench in the sky. I really don't know what to do given what these are? Crazy!

Old 01-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
As the title says. The parts (4 rally2 wheels) then purchased later- a formula steering wheel, all by the same guy who has promised to come and pick them up (to avoid shipping costs).
They have been paid for in full.
How long am I obligated to store them before the revert back to the original owner?
Have you tried to contact him to set a reasonable deadline?

Old 01-20-2016, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It appears that some of these situations can be "resolved" by application of "mechanic liens" procedures.

A body shop neighbor guy had a 70's style Vette that had not been reclaimed by an owner for a few years. The body shop guy did the mechanic lien deal for a couple hundred dollars court cost, then sold the Vette for a few thousand dollars (covering the work he had done).

The same guy still has a 70's Ventura, a nice car that he put a new quarter panel on for $900 around 2003. That car is still parked out behind the body shop today.

P.S. Storage charges often can be applied in mechanic lien cases.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In Andre's case I'd be actively trying to contact the buyer so we could work out a firm pick up date. If that couldn't be done I'd refund his money and sell to someone else.

in poncho-mike's case I'd say he's gone way above and beyond. Since he can't contact the guy any more, sell that block to someone else and move on. If the original guy ever comes looking for it, give him his money back. After this length of time he's probably forgotten about it, and he obviously doesn't need it.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If there was mandatory military service these things wouldn't happen nearly so often

Old 01-20-2016, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know I should be able to dispose of the block by now with no repercussions. I suspect the buyer may have moved, and by the time he tried to get in touch with me my phone number was also disconnected because I moved.

I'm very easy to find, I'm in the phone book. I've only lived in three locations my entire life of almost 60 years, and I've never moved outside of NC. If he ever tried to find me, he shouldn't have a problem.

Still, as long as I've got a shelf for it to sit on, I'll hold it for him. It just wouldn't feel right selling to someone else after he paid for it.

Mike

Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

I have a bare block I've been holding about 25+ years for a guy. The cast dates didn't exactly work for him, but he bought it to make sure he had at least the correct code. He asked me to hold it for awhile while he continued to look. He later bought another block that matched up with the dates he needed. I asked him what he wanted me to do with it, and he said he'd get back with me.

I was relocated to Raleigh a few years later. I called to let the buyer know I had moved, but his phone was disconnected. The only info I had was his first name and telephone number. I didn't keep the envelope he sent the check in, so I am clueless how to contact him.

I plan to continue holding onto the block until I can't store it any longer. I wouldn't feel right about selling it to anybody else until I'm sure he's never going to come looking for it.
25yrs? Hate to say it but your crazy! Would have tried to contact him for sure but after a year or so it gets sold again, and I would sleep just fine!

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same deal here. I sold a set of tires to a PY member almost 4 years ago. At the time he claimed he had a truck that came through here once a week and would have them picked up in a couple of weeks. 3 or 4 PM's later and the tires have never been picked up. His check cleared soon after the first time we talked. About a year and a half ago I PM'd him and he said he would get back in touch with me. I just need the room! What should I do, keep PM'ing him?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Same deal here. I sold a set of tires to a PY member almost 4 years ago. At the time he claimed he had a truck that came through here once a week and would have them picked up in a couple of weeks. 3 or 4 PM's later and the tires have never been picked up. His check cleared soon after the first time we talked. About a year and a half ago I PM'd him and he said he would get back in touch with me. I just need the room! What should I do, keep PM'ing him?
What should you do.? Get a clue. SELL THEM, he's never coming!

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 AM
Suspended

In MI. a person has 90 days to pick up a part or a car even if it paid for. If they don't after the 90 day period you can start to asses a storage fee on a part & a storage fee on a car or truck. Once the fee's become more then the part or car or truck is worth you are allowed to resell the part or vehical. I'm sure your state has simaler rules. The time may differ by a few weeks either side of the 90 days but it wouldn't be much. You can start to run your storage fees after the 1st call to tell them to come & pick up the item. The parts are your at this point, & for the guy whos had the block for 25 years , well if you don't want to hold it I'll take it & give you $ 1.00 so you can say it was sold. No court will ever up hold a fool for not picking up a part for 25 years. Also Jerry you should call 1 more time & tell the guy to pick them up no later then (what ever) & if he doesn't then the parts are yours. A mech.'s lein is only good for a certified shop with a cert. tech employeed. If your not a licened tech a mech. lien is not valid.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its been over 2 years, might be over 3 or 4. I don't even remember who the person is, or where he lived. I don't even remember when my last contact with him was. Its been so long that I don't remember what the final price was.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a lot depends on how much room you have for storage. Floor and shelf space is at an extreme premium in my shop since it doubles as my work space for my "real" job. I've got a whole lot of time and trouble to put everything on wheels ... even a 3,000 pound milling machine, rack system with 1000 lbs of welders, bending machines etc. Every square foot counts.

And I'm not going to leave anyones stuff exposed to the elements ... so you have to come get it on schedule.

Some people have barns and out buildings galore and they can dump the parts there and leave them for years.

But in general when I sell something it's for TWO reasons ... I want the money, AND, I want it gone.