Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default seat track paint

I know the first few inches of the feet of the seat track is painted. Pretty sure all were semi gloss black, but wanted to make sure they didnt match the carpet instead?

Old 05-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure all the seat tracks were black.

They wouldn't have proliferated seat tracks from the supplier based on interior color and there was no painting taking place back in the seat cushion room.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...and you should't be able to see much of the foot anyway as it's supposed to be mounted under the carpet.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if it is correct but here's how I did mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	track.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	396649  

Old 05-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks great Phil. Did you media blast them or what?

Old 05-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg,
I am pretty sure that is how I cleaned them up. It took me a while to get all the grit out of the runners.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard/read about them painting the bottom of the tracks as well. just about every set of buckets I've ever owned were rusted to hell so you couldn't tell, but my southern 67 Lemans was super clean inside and my seat tracks show no signs of ever being painted on the bottom and looks to be natural metal all the way down. Maybe they missed that step the day they installed them on this car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P0010325.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	396693  

Old 05-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree I've never seen paint on the seat tracks.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Me either.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the 1st 66 GTO I had back in 1970 didn't have paint on them at all. The only paint on the tracks on the one I have now is on the ends where thy bolt to the floor. The rest of the tracks are paintless.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My apologies; I was addressing the "black vs body color" question, not the "black vs no paint" question.

Didn't even think about that. Nor did I think to look at my car which I can do when I get home.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I do have a patina like paint on them. It's called rust. It's protecting the track's metal. LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 05-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I didn't ask my question properly. Yes, I know that most of the seat track is bare metal. And also know the correct way to cut the carpet and install the seat so it is not sitting on top of the carpet. Even after this correct installation, about 2-3" of the foot of the track is visible. I've parted a bunch of cars, but many didn't have seats, and those that did were black carpet, so the foot was painted black. I suspect they are all painted black, but just wanted to be sure. Once upon a time, i thought all convertible top frames on '64's were black. Then I saw one that was dark blue (light blue top), and one that was a saddle color (tan top), so know I don't know as much as I used to.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You know more than you let on Andre. And I say that in a good way.

Mine in this GTO were painted black before I got it. My first 66 had the turquois interior and I'm pretty sure the seat tracks where they bolted to the floor were bare metal. I said pretty sure.... other 66 A-bodies with the same color interior might have been painted... or not. I do remember the Nightwatch Blue 66 Tempest Custom I had were bare metal too for the bench seat.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 05-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre', that info about top frame colors is very interesting.
I can also picture what you described about the few inches of "feet" on the tracks being semi-gloss black. I know I've unbolted similar tracks on something I had, but I think it was a '77 Olds.
This much I can confirm with Pontiacs in my shop, , 2 '67s, a '68 and a '69, none were painted or restored when unbolted. All were bare with different degrees of rust film.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 79 Formula actually had a black plastic cover that was over both of the front seat track "feet", and bolted down with the seat. It was flat and the bolt went thru it. I guess they were to match the black carpet and hid the unpainted metal.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 05-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
My 79 Formula actually had a black plastic cover that was over both of the front seat track "feet", and bolted down with the seat. It was flat and the bolt went thru it. I guess they were to match the black carpet and hid the unpainted metal.
I believe they were black regardless of the color of the carpet - that trend continues on today but the earlier ones were bare.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just shoot it blue to confuse the next guy. The work I"m doing is on my "ole blue" 64 GTO convertible which is an original but slightly molested car. Back in the early 80s the previous owner had repainted the dash and tops of doors with some wrong color of blue. He also installed shag blue carpet. which fits like a bad toupee

On the convertible top frame, I learned about this on 2 different sets of cars. Both had light blue tops from the factory, and both top frames were dark blue. Also there was something else that was dark blue. Maybe the well liner? One of the cars was an early 65 that had the 64 shifter in it. The other car is a 64 convertible owned by my friend Larry who bought it brand new. White with a blue gut and light blue top. Its an unrestored original and still in his possession. Finally on my own '64 from Fremont which stated life with a tan top, the convertible frame was sort of saddle bronze metallic. I don't know if it carried over for later years, but it sure seems odd.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know anything about the convertible top's frame. But I have a question. The difference in the color of the top and frame, could it be a contrast thing to make you see each as it is? The 'ol look at me ploy.

Kind of like my 66 Tempest Custom. The car's paint was Nightwatch Blue, the door panels were a dark blue and the seats were a mix of dark blue and a silvery light blue [never knew the color scheme's name]. It sure made you notice the interior.

BTW, is there a website the has the interior colors and those that used at least 2 colors together for the seating?

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"