Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 PM

Default 1967 GTO Basket case...

Long time lurker, I had another account, but can't for the life of me remember it or what email it is attached to. Please excuse the lack of posts. anyways.

I need some direction here. I have this car, It's a real GTO, but it's a hot mess. I bought this my junior year of high school....Completely disassembled. I parted out 2 ruff lemans to put it back together. It took about 4 years to find all the parts to get it where it is. Being young didn't exactly leave much budget to finish it. But I hung on to it and stored it at my Parents house until recently. Unfortunately it doesn't fit inside at my house. So in order to keep it, I need to do something fast.

I currently have about $6,700 in it including purchase price in 2001, Got it to the point of whole and running and driving so I could keep it and it has basically sat every since. I'm not really sure what to do with it or where to start. It runs and drives, no interior installed, though I have a complete interior kit. It's currently got a 68 350 HO and 4 speed. It's a pretty low option car. I have all the big parts to complete it and most of the small stuff too. It really needs to have rust repair and be painted. I have a 455 to eventually build too. I kinda envision it as my nice daily driver with a heater. All my cars are drivers. My other cars are a 1931 Model a jalopy pickup that I drive daily in warmer weather. It has no heater and a 1979 Ford F250 supercab which sucks for city daily driving duties....

At this point, I have lost some of the fire to work on it. I am thinking I either need to sell it or straighten, rust repair, and paint it. any encouragement would be great..

Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 PM

I would put the interior in it and DRIVE IT.

The very action of driving the car will encourage you to make arangments to get the body painted.

I often restore cars twice. First I get it together and later I come back and press it out.

Just driving the 67 will make you feel 10 feet tall. Every stop at a gas station will make you new friends.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get the car on the road and drive it. It's already a part of you. Just enjoy in the way it is. When time, space and money permits, it will still be there

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Blue 66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your car is in very very good condition for the $$ you have into it. I've seen people start with a lot worse cars that cost them alot more.

I'd take it down to the nearest economy paint place and have them put a inexpensive paint job on it. Drop the interior in and go. Even if you decided to sell, you would get more interest in it.
We see a lot of people doing high end restorations, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the budget resto. The budget resto is actually more akin to what many of us did when we first got into this hobby and how I remember these cars. I'm not old enough to remember them as new or even slightly used cars.

I can say that your car is the FIRST time that I have ever seen a '67 quarter panel retrofitted for a '69 side marker emblem, and it looks pretty cool.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think if you do what Andre suggested you would get the encouragement that you need. Some of those inexpensive paint jobs turn out nice. STS I believe it was, did his own paint job,first time, and it turned out spectacular. Get it on the road!

Here's the link:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=730495

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 AM

I know.......the side marker freaking rocks!

I had to take a double take.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Once you put the interior in it will change your whole look on the car. It's like putting carpet in a new house; makes it look like its coming together. As said before; for what you've got into it it's in excellent shape. I've got near 15k into mine and I can't drive it yet. I'm in a similar situation, I bought my car when I was 12 and had a very small budget. I thought about selling it a couple times and almost did. Now, I'm so glad I didn't. Plus all the "old" people I talk to are always telling me about how the regret selling their old cars lol

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Or you can store it in my garage

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 01-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with these guys: start driving it, as is if need be. Two front seats and some floor covering will go far. I wouldn't do a carpet unless the car is leak free. Your biggest issue is outside storage. You really need to get a structure over that thing. Car covers are worse than no cover, though, so I'd say nix on that. I've had both of my GTO's since I was a kid (that was over 30 years ago), and they didn't become garaged until about 15-20 years ago. For ten years, they sat out in the weather and on the street and were daily driver commute cars. But, as you know, a car that's driven daily doesn't tend to deteriorate like a car that sits and rots, even in a garage. So, bolt the seat down, throw some door panels on it, install the heater core, and drive it to work!!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like a fathom blue car, nice color. I just did a fathom blue 67 and finishing a nightwatch blue 66 now. I can arrange for you to see the 67 if you want some eye candy encouragement. I would at least get it sealed up and water tight if you plan on storing outside.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After a closer look, does it have gauges in it??

Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While it costs a bundle, the high end custom fitted California Car Cover Superweave is amazing outdoors even in Florida. I stored my 64 GTO under one or 7 years. It repels water, yet it breathes. Full warranty for 4 years. I have owned 6 or 7 of them.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1967 GTO Basket case

It appears you are missing your VIN tag, might have a parts car here. jd grim 66 gto

Old 01-10-2014, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a lot of inexpensive things you can do to preserve your car. Use some of the rust cure products and then as mentioned put a Maco type paint job on it. Work on the small stuff and keep it driving, even if it's just down the street and around the block. Don't get inpatient, look at it as a long time goal. One day you will get to the point where you have the means to do a full up restoration, but if you sell the car, it will take 3 to 4 times the cost to get back to where you are now. DON'T SELL YOUR CAR, oh you can think about it, but don't do it!

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
There are a lot of inexpensive things you can do to preserve your car. Use some of the rust cure products and then as mentioned put a Maco type paint job on it. Work on the small stuff and keep it driving, even if it's just down the street and around the block. Don't get inpatient, look at it as a long time goal. One day you will get to the point where you have the means to do a full up restoration, but if you sell the car, it will take 3 to 4 times the cost to get back to where you are now. DON'T SELL YOUR CAR, oh you can think about it, but don't do it!

LOL

Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

hopefully you have a vin tag if not agree parts car otherwise drive it like you stole it and make a plan to restore it as you go I move mine after 5 years yesterday and what a thrill it was just to roll it out of the shop on it's own power ..defiantly motivating..

Old 01-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

From what I'm seeing you've got a great foundation for a car! Make a point of doing something to the car once a month. No matter how small. The interior would be a good start. I've tackled worse projects. Irgoatmike

Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I can say that your car is the FIRST time that I have ever seen a '67 quarter panel retrofitted for a '69 side marker emblem, and it looks pretty cool.
I saw that but thought I was seeing things... so I didn't say anything about it figuring all of you would think I'm more nuts than I actually am. LOL Kind of a cool mod to dress it up a bit.

Yeah, fix it up or restore it. You can't let another Goat rot a way and end up as junk. Do what you need to do so it'll pass inspection and you can drive it. The rest takes a bit of time, but it's all doable over time. They're never really 100% done unless it's a full concours restoration.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get a good car cover. It will stop deteriorating.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is better than what I started off with! At the very least I'd make it road worthy. Most take a really big hit selling a project.