Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Senior Chief

Default Where is this bolt from?

I have a number of these bolts(had 3 64 gto's). I'm thinking it's from the engine. It's unique. Any help where it's from?

I'm organizing my hardware as I'm getting ready to send the motor out for some final work and assembly.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It looks like an aftermarket header bolt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Man Taylor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Senior Chief

Not impossible, but I don't have enough for a full set or even half a set. I think all of the engines had headers. Note: These bolts have been replated in black zinc. They were sent out for plating with all my black zinc hardware (to reproduce the black oxide look with better corrosion protection).

Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 PM

wheres the other 15 ?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with OMT. That's the only app that has thread that size with such a small head.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Senior Chief

If anyone has a pic of what the oil filter adapter bolts look like...
I found 3 like this, same number and same thread as the oil filter adapter, but I didn't check the length. I realize that this bolt is probably to short for that, but need to see what those bolt heads look like. I do realize that there were multiple suppliers of the hardware and markings from one engine to another can and do differ on certain bolts.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

fuel pump bolt or are they 16 point

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
It looks like an aftermarket header bolt.
That's what I thought the second I saw it. In fact, it looks like one of those header bolts with the reduced head size to make it a little easier to get a wrench on.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Senior Chief

I think I'm agreeing that the bold I originally posted is an aftermarket header bolt that got mixed in with my re-plated original hardware.

Fuel pump bolts are 16pt and I have those ready to go. I'll try to get a pic of those posted tomorrow.

I need to figure out what the correct oil pump adapter bolts look like to pick them out of my re-plated hardware.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad, I'd want to see an original to confirm, but in the '66 MPC, there is a '55-'66 "cylinder block and related parts" illustration that shows oil filter adapter to block Bolts described as 3/8"-16 x 1-5/8", found in Gr. 8.900. In the Gr. 8.900 listing the p/n shows 180127 for this size, the plating is not indicated and a notation states that all plating is Cadmium for Gr. 8.900 unless otherwise indicated.

In Gr. 1.837 for Oil Filter Parts, they show p/n 138246 3/8"-16 x 2" Capscrews for the '65-'66 421HO Oil Filter Adapter to Block. But that engine specified a special Adapter, also listed. No other Adapters or screws listed in this Gr. in the '66 MPC.

To add some confusion to the mix, the '60 MPC lists the following in Gr. 1.837.

'55 Oil Filter to Block Bolt p/n 180127 Qty. 3, 3/8"-16 x 1-5/8".

'56-'59 Oil Filter to Block Bolt p/n 454906 Qty. 3, 3/8"-16 x 1-1/2".

The plating for both of these p/ns is explicitly noted as Cad. in Gr. 8.900 in the '60 MPC.

The '60 MPC also has the same engine illustration as in the '66 showing the same bolts (1-5/8" long) for '55-'60 engines.

So I guess you can see why I think you have to see an original bolt to be sure what length is correct.

BTW, a 3/8" lockwasher is also illustrated under the bolt head and then a regular washer between the lockwasher and adapter.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

I found these 4 bolts with the correct thread and 1-5/8 length for the oil filter adapter:

The head marking is U 35. Not one I've really seen before.

I also found 3 of these with the same thread and length, but the partial smooth shank of the bolt above seems more correct than fully threaded.

The partial smooth shank of the first one is appropriate for a bolt that goes through something thick like the adapter.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Senior Chief

Brad,

I had the bolts for the oil adapter on my desk to take pictures, but thought better of it. I guess I should have gone ahead and done so. The adapter bolts have threads all the way up to the underside of the bolt head. No smooth shank was involved. I have seen UR bolts used on various engine applications for the 64's. Can't recall ever seeing the U35 bolts.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a mostly unmolested '66 engine torn down right now. The three oil filter housing bolts are threaded all the way up and all have R C S on the heads...as best I can make out. I'm not sure the C isn't an O.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I seem to recall that many of the original fasteners on my '64 had the TR marking on the bolt head, I think body fasteners as well as engine, but going strictly from memory.

The bolt head markings identified the fastener supplier.

TR stands for Towne Robinson Fastener Co. located in the Detroit area. They went out of business about 1991.

They were apparently a significant bolt supplier to the Pontiac Plant in '64. Likely there were others as evidenced by alternate markings.

Another fairly common marking is the anchor. That is the head marking for Anchor Bolt & Screw Co. Viewed upside down their mark might look more like an umbrella.

Found a source claiming M on the head is supposedly from Michigan Bolt but I have not been able to confirm that one.

I have nothing about the U 35. I suspect the Manufacturer's ID Mark is the U and the 35 may identify something about the bolt itself.

Likewise, nothing on the UR mark.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
I seem to recall that many of the original fasteners on my '64 had the TR marking on the bolt head, I think body fasteners as well as engine, but going strictly from memory.

The bolt head markings identified the fastener supplier.

TR stands for Towne Robinson Fastener Co. located in the Detroit area. They went out of business about 1991.

They were apparently a significant bolt supplier to the Pontiac Plant in '64. Likely there were others as evidenced by alternate markings.

Another fairly common marking is the anchor. That is the head marking for Anchor Bolt & Screw Co. Viewed upside down their mark might look more like an umbrella.

Found a source claiming M on the head is supposedly from Michigan Bolt but I have not been able to confirm that one.

I have nothing about the U 35. I suspect the Manufacturer's ID Mark is the U and the 35 may identify something about the bolt itself.

Likewise, nothing on the UR mark.
I remember Ferndale Fasteners and Lang Fasteners being high runners, too (at least in the truck plants).

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That may explain the F i've seen on bolts. i as you all have also seen a P on the heads on bolts used

Then there are those PLACE bolts. whats the significance in them

Old 12-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, very cool.

Ferndale uses a stylized mark. Doubt you would think it was an F unless you knew that it represented Ferndale. Keith, do you recall their mark from back in the day?

See it in this list on page B-8 or 72.

http://www.efcog.org/wg/ism_qa_scqtt...rks%20List.pdf

Couldn't find a mark for Lang but the company that acquired them in 2013, says Lang was founded in 1972 so wouldn't be useful to us here.

John Hinckley has posted at CRG for the 1st Gen Camaro guys and in connection with NCRS Corvette judging that bolt head markings are known to be variable since multiple suppliers were used for each fastener and for judging, at most the Corvette guys look for marks known to be valid for the era. Fastener configuration is considered more important.

I believe this link explains the reason for Place Bolts.

http://www.aetnascrew.com/placebolts.htm

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks JV... one more thing i now know. tic tic tic ... lol

Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Keith, very cool.

Ferndale uses a stylized mark. Doubt you would think it was an F unless you knew that it represented Ferndale. Keith, do you recall their mark from back in the day?
LOL - well, I guess I'd make the Corvette boys crazy -

I did not recall the marks but knew where they were used on the truck. So - I took a little trip out to the front garage and popped the hood on the ole pickup. This particular bolt, part number 3846202, was used across the top of the radiator support and to attach the front of the fenders to the inner flange of the support. There are approx 20 bolts to sample - and - probably five different styles represented. I saw one Ferndale, a couple that I did not recognize and at least one with no markings. I'm guessing several different brands got pitched into the same bin (or the remnants of a couple cardbox boxes got dumped together).

Keep in mind I kept a watchful eye on this one as it was being built...and it has not been apart since then.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

those bolts with a F were used buy fomoco also fwiw