Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default The Chronicles of My 66 GTO

If you read the other thread, I picked up the car this past Saturday. Honestly, Ive crawled all over this car and haven't found any surprises. Below are some pics and maybe a few questions.

Chrome all over the car looks a lot like this. Very good.

Both grilles look good. Outside trim inst easily removed

A lot of you asked about the wheels. Yea, I may want to get rod of them but IM getting use to the look. And the tires appear to be new. Trim rings dont have any curb rash and minimum scratches.

While the interior needs help, the door panels look good. The center console, not so much. Same with the carpet (Ill order new carpet this week).

Dash insert is terrible and I cant stand the steering wheel. I have the original. I may just put it back in until I can figure out what I want to do.

The boot. Is this factory? It looks like it would scratch the paint. This thing has seen better days too.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Under the hood.

Its leaking almost everything from everywhere. It doesnt run that great either I;m not sure what to do about it. Budget may be tight and there may not be enough cash for a rebuild. Its just ugly.

I was told water pump is new last summer but it doesn't look like it. Fresh Anti freeze sits on top of it.

ID this carb?

PS pump looks original and both hoses are frail.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple more before I put the car away Saturday.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC you said it's not the original engine. I see a 2bbl, is that a 326 in it? Just wondering. Leaks can be fixed if nothing is broken or cracked.

That grant steering wheel should have a darker finish on it. It should match the walnut veneer on the dash, then it wouldn't look so bad. Once you get used to it it has a better feel than the original sw. I've got the same sw in my GTO and it like it better than the skinny original. But that's me.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I can see, your boot looks to be original, or it looks like mine and it is suppose to be the original one. The carb is a Carter AFB. There should be a metal tag attached to it with numbers. Your power steering pump looks like the cap is correct as it looks to not be made of plastic. On your third picture, one of us has the wrong hood bumpers on the radiator core support. Mine are different. Yours look like what I have on my 69 GTO. I'm with you on the steering wheel, I would put the original one back on. I have the sports (fake wood) and really like it although it needs to be refinished. Very nice goat. Everything is an easy fix, to me that's half the fun of having them!

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 AM

Clearly there's a 1964 intake and heads on your engine (heater hose on front water crossover), more than likely a complete 1964 389 from a big Pontiac.

A 1964 GTO 389 will have casting 9770716 on the center exhaust ports, big Pontiac 389 will have 9773345 heads.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Charles, the rubber hood bumper on Paul's core support looks like the correct ones. Part number RPF 172 for 1966 to 73. RPF 178, rubber bumpers with the adjustment studs.

I say a 2bbl... Carter... as it's hard to really tell from the angles. Intake looks different too.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
IIRC you said it's not the original engine. I see a 2bbl, is that a 326 in it? Just wondering. Leaks can be fixed if nothing is broken or cracked.

That grant steering wheel should have a darker finish on it. It should match the walnut veneer on the dash, then it wouldn't look so bad. Once you get used to it it has a better feel than the original sw. I've got the same sw in my GTO and it like it better than the skinny original. But that's me.
It is a two barrel. Carter. The motor casting checks out at 9773155 date code E224 (May 22 1964). So it is a 389, but someone through a little carb on it at one time.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Clearly there's a 1964 intake and heads on your engine (heater hose on front water crossover), more than likely a complete 1964 389 from a big Pontiac.

A 1964 GTO 389 will have casting 9770716 on the center exhaust ports, big Pontiac 389 will have 9773345 heads.
What about the casting number 9773155 on the distributor pad?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me start off by saying that you did well on this car. I am a sucker for the original color combinations that don't seem to be very popular choices now. I might be biased since I own a car with a gold interior. I don't see anything on that car that makes my stomach hurt at that price point. I'll chime in with my opinions.
I think the rally 1 wheels look great on there. Maybe a bit too much tire dressing for my liking but no big deal
I don't like the dash insert either, but that is easy to fix. I can't really tell about the dash wood because of the lighting, as to whether it is saveable or not.
Thats typical sun fading of the carpet that we all suffer.
I would send the original wheel to Platinum Al and have him restore it. That one is limited in damage and should be an easy resto.

I would replace the console with a nicer one. I would not try to replate that one.

I was working on the original boot cover of my '64 Old Blue, and had a couple broken clips. They did not look like that, but in my stash, I found I had 4 of those clips. Not sure what they come from, but they won't attach to my original boot. I had some reproduction clips that I also had, and they were made like the originals except the metal was too soft. I didn't have any sun that day, so I could'nt get my boot cover to stretch enough to snap down everywhere. I never use the cover on my other '64. I just don't like the way those clips want to scratch trim/paint. They probably changed the clip design from 64 to 66

Regarding the dirty engine, that just looks like dirt and grime that is collected from driving without constantly cleaning the engine. I think some degreaser, and a bristle brush would have you cleaned up in no time. I'd swap out the VC to chrome stockers. Agree that is a '64 top end. No surprise there. In regards to the engine running poorly, I'm going to bet you 10 hot wings that a simple tune up and fresh gas will solve your problems. Referrig back to my other comments, it looks like this car was driven, and enjoyed, but not necessarily tinkered with.

I hate red hoses with a passion!! You are missing the second reinforcing bracket for the alternator. Also possibly missing the bracket for the pcv hose. Not sure if they used the other bracket in conjunction with that short one that is bolted to the intake.

Its too bad you guys have to put cars away for the winter...

Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Enjoy the car and fix it while you drive it it's 47 years old we all have a few leaks at 47 .Are the headlight bezels orig mine have a dimpled center section so am wondering if mine are correct to bad you so far away would love to help you straighten out the kinks.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post

You had me very nervous. The casting is indeed 9770716. I just went to take a look.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Let me start off by saying that you did well on this car. I am a sucker for the original color combinations that don't seem to be very popular choices now. I might be biased since I own a car with a gold interior. I don't see anything on that car that makes my stomach hurt at that price point. I'll chime in with my opinions.
I think the rally 1 wheels look great on there. Maybe a bit too much tire dressing for my liking but no big deal
I don't like the dash insert either, but that is easy to fix. I can't really tell about the dash wood because of the lighting, as to whether it is saveable or not.
Thats typical sun fading of the carpet that we all suffer.
I would send the original wheel to Platinum Al and have him restore it. That one is limited in damage and should be an easy resto.

I would replace the console with a nicer one. I would not try to replate that one.

I was working on the original boot cover of my '64 Old Blue, and had a couple broken clips. They did not look like that, but in my stash, I found I had 4 of those clips. Not sure what they come from, but they won't attach to my original boot. I had some reproduction clips that I also had, and they were made like the originals except the metal was too soft. I didn't have any sun that day, so I could'nt get my boot cover to stretch enough to snap down everywhere. I never use the cover on my other '64. I just don't like the way those clips want to scratch trim/paint. They probably changed the clip design from 64 to 66

Regarding the dirty engine, that just looks like dirt and grime that is collected from driving without constantly cleaning the engine. I think some degreaser, and a bristle brush would have you cleaned up in no time. I'd swap out the VC to chrome stockers. Agree that is a '64 top end. No surprise there. In regards to the engine running poorly, I'm going to bet you 10 hot wings that a simple tune up and fresh gas will solve your problems. Referrig back to my other comments, it looks like this car was driven, and enjoyed, but not necessarily tinkered with.

I hate red hoses with a passion!! You are missing the second reinforcing bracket for the alternator. Also possibly missing the bracket for the pcv hose. Not sure if they used the other bracket in conjunction with that short one that is bolted to the intake.

Its too bad you guys have to put cars away for the winter...
Thanks Andre. Agreed on all accounts. Hoses, console and everything. Ill look into the brackets. I dont know what the other ones would look like though.
Quote:
Referrig back to my other comments, it looks like this car was driven, and enjoyed, but not necessarily tinkered with.
Very true and I could even go on to say a bit neglected. Platinum Al - contact information? I sent you an email yesterday by the way

Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Car looks great Paul.

Like others have said, change the hoses, hose clamps, plug wires with dated correct ones, spray the whole engine & compartment down with de-greaser & power wash it off. Replace the carpet if you want to, swap out the console & dash bezel when one pops up and have your steering wheel restored & replaced. Keep your eyes out for a correct 66 389 motor and rebuild/replace if when you feel like it.

All of this can be done while still driving & enjoying the car and isn't that what you bought it for?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Car looks great Paul.

Like others have said, change the hoses, hose clamps, plug wires with dated correct ones, spray the whole engine & compartment down with de-greaser & power wash it off. Replace the carpet if you want to, swap out the console & dash bezel when one pops up and have your steering wheel restored & replaced. Keep your eyes out for a correct 66 389 motor and rebuild/replace if when you feel like it.

All of this can be done while still driving & enjoying the car and isn't that what you bought it for?
Very much my plan Chris.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I borrowed these pictures from ebay, but I have both of these and can send them to you. Platinum Al is a member on the board, and I think this is the easiest way to reach him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqYOKjQE6V)lyHzGBOvE3DMIyQ~~60_12.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	344536   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16N,!yUFIc+U(JuTBSSC5zHdhg~~60_3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	344537  

Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I borrowed these pictures from ebay, but I have both of these and can send them to you. Platinum Al is a member on the board, and I think this is the easiest way to reach him.
I appreciate it Andre. Let me take a look at where they go first. If they were left off, Id like to see if there was a reason.

Ill contact Al via the board.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
It is a two barrel. Carter. The motor casting checks out at 9773155 date code E224 (May 22 1964). So it is a 389, but someone through a little carb on it at one time.
Glad to hear it's 389 Paul. For some reason it didn't look right.... probably because of the 2bbl and the intake. Sorry I made you nervous but I had to ask.

Has to be a 389 out of a full size Pontiac... Charles and I say so too. BTW... my dad's 64 Star Chief had a 389 with a 2bbl Carter.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"

Last edited by GT182; 11-26-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks good Paul. It's a balmy 34* in Chicago today. Perfect weather for cruising around with the top down.

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTOLVR66@aol.com is Platinum Al's email address. Great guy and have had him do several steering wheels for me. I have his address and phone number as well if needed.

Tim john---