Old 12-21-2005, 03:27 PM

Andre,

Does the 66 Tiger Gold differ from the 65 Tiger Gold? The reason I ask is I'm about to have my 65 painted Tiger Gold and I got my paint code from the Ditzler Chart. The Ditzler code was 22728 and the new code is WA3770. I haven't bought it yet or had the color tested.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont think the colors differed from '65 to '66, but I don't recognize those codes off hand.

As far as time/money go, If I had the time, I still would never have gotten this far. I don't have the necessary skills.

I stuck to working my regular job, and selling parts which is something that I am good at.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:22 PM

Go to www.autocolorlibrary.com and search under Pontiac then 1965. It shows the original Ditzler paint chart. The number I listed is below the color. The paint code is not listed, but I found out it is "O".

The color shown is similiar to the one from your chart.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:17 PM
On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
As far as time/money go, If I had the time, I still would never have gotten this far. I don't have the necessary skills.

I stuck to working my regular job, and selling parts which is something that I am good at.
No problem with farming out the work. I could probably pay for someone else to do my work, but I wanted the experience. And it is just so frustrating and I do think that maybe I should have had someone else do it. It is not so much the chassis and motor work, it is the bodywork for me that is taking the time.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:16 PM

I see the posi tag at 5 O clock

Old 12-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, I see the posi tag... that might have been one part I would have actually put on the car. Maybe I'll save the radiator cap, oil filler cap and gas cap for myself. That way I can tell everyone that I did the restoration myself.

For today's entry we have the new pistons and rods that are going into my original block. These came from Ken "The Dude" Keefer. The pistons have a dish machined in them to bring the final compression down to a reasonable 9.5:1. While we have 110 octane fuel readily available in my area, $6.00/gallon makes it expensive, so this is a better alternative.

This rod is quite a bit beefier looking than the original rods that were in there, and should be able to take some abuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piston.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	36419  

Old 12-23-2005, 10:03 PM
On Vacation

Quote:
Okay, I see the posi tag... that might have been one part I would have actually put on the car. Maybe I'll save the radiator cap, oil filler cap and gas cap for myself. That way I can tell everyone that I did the restoration myself.
Hmmm since your being a smartie...
Are you going to lie about the vin swap too?

Should anyone care to verify my statement. The following quote is pulled from post #3 of this thread --> http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthread.php?t=456697

Quote:
I have an absolutely mint frame from a '66 Lemans 2 door hardtop that just came from California. I'm using the body, but I'd be willing to sell the frame bare, or as a roller. I'm in Florida, probably a 8 hour-9 hour ride from you.
The underside of this car was so nice that when you wiped away the dirt, it was like brand new.

Unless Andrea's pocket is deep enough to pay for a restore on both a 66 GTO and lemans and only cares to document one, this pretty much seals the deal on this awesome vin swap job.

Last edited by rzrektd; 12-23-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:21 PM
On Vacation

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Jensen
Thumbs down Yet another rich man's resto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrektd
I'm sorry, but I'm sick and tired of reading this post. Do yourself a favor...if you're going to have this "I have no Earthly idea what they're doing to my car" attitude, go hang out at Barret-Jackson with all the OTHER rich-snobs who claim they have no time to work on their cars. Congrats bud, all you learned out of all this is 50,000 left your bank account.

GRANTED, to be coming from your side of the fence. I understand. There is so much you can do until it needs to be done by professionals. I.E., my body is in the bodyshop. There's no way I'd even try to tackle bodywork on a car I'm trying to be show-quality. But the whole car?? pffff.

You say you don't have the technical abilities...well here's a TIP...it's called PICKING UP A WRENCH AND TAKING APART STUFF UNTIL YOU FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER. I didn't even know what a headliner was when I started. But you know what? I bought myself a Crescent tool set from costco, talked to LOTS of older guys who know how to work on cars...and took it from there. Now I know stuff about GTO's and Pontiacs comparable to people in their 40's and 50's!!!

You think you're going to outsmart guys who bust their knuckles like me every night in their garage just because you show them your RADIATOR CAP??? I'm not even going to go there.

I don't want to cause problems. But this is how I feel about cars like this. I'm a very active member in a local GTOAA chapter...but it's for this reason I stopped "restoring" my car. At first I wanted a bone stock 67 gto...but then I came to realize: Too many rich snobs who think their cars are all that when they mabye only had five minutes of work time clocked in on it. But then I also came to realize about a month after I joined that in general the guys who make GTO's however they want and make them go faster...handle better... They actually know what they are talking about, and know their cars inside and out!!! They put in the hours and time that the "restoration" side of the club do not!!! I'm sick and tired of how people LIBERALLY use restore on a car that is OBVIOUSLY NOT restored:

Webster's Dictionary Defination of a restoration

restore: To bring back to an original condition

THERE RIGHT IN BLACK AND WHITE...to restore something is to bring it back to it's original bone stock nuts-and-bolts configuration as it was new...I don't care if it's a goat or a Chevy or a Painting...if it isn't 100 percent JOHN-DELOREAN original...STOP SAYING IT'S RESTORED. To the word restored in a car is my biggest pet peeve!!! Since when is a car with 22 inch boyd coddington wheels and shaved door handles a restored car??? It drives me nuts. If you're making a car into something OTHER than stock, say something like "redoing" the car or "resto-mod" or something!! but please no more "restore!!!" (unless it truely is a factory restored 100 point car).

So also, stop saying your car is restored when it isn't!!! I.E. I say I'm redoing my car and when I'm done I'm going to put a big sign in my garage that'll say "THERE WILL BE NO RESTORING IN THIS GARAGE!!!"

Off my soap box, but I had to say it. I'm the next generation (18 years old) of our Pontiac hobby!!!

Last edited by Bryan Jensen; 12-24-2005 at 12:07 AM. Reason: didn't want to cause a big fight...but get my point across.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 PM
On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Jensen
I'm sorry, but I'm sick and tired of reading this post. Do yourself a favor...go hang out at Barret-Jackson with all the OTHER rich-snobs who claim they have no time to work on their cars. Congrats bud, all you learned out of all this is 50,000 left your bank account.

GRANTED, to be coming from your side of the fence. I understand. There is so much you can do until it needs to be done by professionals. But the whole car?? pffff.

You say you don't have the technical abilities...well here's a TIP...it's called PICKING UP A WRENCH AND TAKING APART STUFF UNTIL YOU FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER.

You think you're going to outsmart guys who bust their knuckles like me every night in their garage just because you show them your RADIATOR CAP??? I'm not even going to go there.

OWNED.
ROTFLMAO

Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, this thread just made a left turn.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 12-24-2005, 04:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Jensen
I'm sorry, but I'm sick and tired of reading this post.
Then don't read it...just like I have made the choice not to read your posts if I can help it.

Does anyone else find the irony of this joker complaining about a 'rich man's resto'?

Old 12-24-2005, 08:35 AM

Bryan says he 18, he should be feeling the way he does. When I was 18 I wouldn't think twice about tearing apart anything. I can remember getting thrown out of an apartment because we were rebuilding an engine on a Honda motor cycle in the kitchen. When I had young children I did a lot of my repairs on my cars. As we age you can't do things that you could do when you were younger. Here's an example laying on your back under a car you cant' get far enouigh away to see what you are working on. Another example is how much flexiblity and mobility we lose, when I was 18 I had a 32" waist now its 38".

Some people have jobs that require clean hands, you can't go to meetings with grease on your hands. These jobs are more professional and usually pay well, they create disposable income and those funds are used for hobbies. Some guy like boats, some like planes, see how fast your money goes with those hobbies.

There's room for everybody in this hobby, 30 years from now when Bryan is living on 20 acres and in his workshop he has 20 vintage Pontiacs valued at $15,000,000. He'll be singing a different tune.

Old 12-24-2005, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

I haven't really been on this site too much in the past year..My GTO is in limbo until I can save up some cash. I'm getting close though to starting it up again..I need to send it to a body shop..That's where the big money comes in. My garage is TOO small to even attempt to try myself. Cross your fingers for a big tax return.

Any way I have to agree with BDK1976..If you don't like what your reading then don't. I still read alot of posts, because maybe I can give someone a tip or two, as SO many people have help me. Even with all my stupid questions. Although you guys are fast with the answners.

Well that's what I think and HAPPY HOILDAYS to all.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976
Then don't read it...just like I have made the choice not to read your posts if I can help it.

Does anyone else find the irony of this joker complaining about a 'rich man's resto'?

So, I'm not alone!

Good pictures, Andre. Can you tell me more about the disc brake set-up you're using? All a/market, or mix of GM?

Old 12-24-2005, 01:29 PM
On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrektd

Should anyone care to verify my statement. The following quote is pulled from post #3 of this thread --> http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthread.php?t=456697

Unless Andrea's pocket is deep enough to pay for a restore on both a 66 GTO and lemans and only cares to document one, this pretty much seals the deal on this awesome vin swap job.
I like this guy, we need more guys like this in our hobby

And, yes...I might change my tune someday. I am going onto college very soon and once I graduate from College...med school...and grad. school... and become I.E. a Psychiatrist, we'll see

But for now, let me work on my car the way I want and I'll stay out of yours.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've enjoyed seeing the progress on this project.

As far as the comments from the young man above , envy/jealousy must be hard to swallow when they are mixed as such.

Grow-up....your attitude is surely to foster some a$$ whipping in the future.

Thanks for the pics and continuing reports.

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 12-24-2005, 04:36 PM
On Vacation

My apologies....I'll end it here, and I don't want to cause problems.

...It's a great looking car. Coming good so far. Good luck with your new goat!!!

My only two things I had an issue were the following, and don't take it as in insult:

1.) Don't try to lie and make people think you did all that work yourself. Your hurting yourself, and if you say you did the (restoration...how I hate that word), people are going to ask you all sorts of heavy technical questions you won't know...and you're going to look like an idiot! Be honest with what was done to it and you and other enthusiasts will feel a lot better!

2.) Just don't let your lack of knowledge keep you from trying to do something on your car on your own, that's all. Even if I send something out (if it's locally) to the machine shop or the like, I'm over there learning whatever I can about what they're doing...or if they're nice enough...I give a hand and work with them so I can learn myself!!

Last edited by Bryan Jensen; 12-24-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I do as much as I can myself but if I were earning good money... Sometimes you've just got to crunch the numbers and take it from there. This way Andre will be able to enjoy his car years earlier, what's that worth? Even if you have to start a fresh topic, please keep us updated.

Don't really know what Bryan is complaining about again, and I'm fairly certain I don't want to know
. Other than some blurbs from people who quote him, all I ever see is:
"This message is hidden because Bryan Jensen is on your ignore list."

Old 12-24-2005, 09:16 PM
On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P
I do as much as I can myself but if I were earning good money... Sometimes you've just got to crunch the numbers and take it from there. This way Andre will be able to enjoy his car years earlier, what's that worth? Even if you have to start a fresh topic, please keep us updated.

Don't really know what Bryan is complaining about again, and I'm fairly certain I don't want to know
. Other than some blurbs from people who quote him, all I ever see is:
"This message is hidden because Bryan Jensen is on your ignore list."
Years??? Try a few months. Mine will be done in May per Senior Project.

Old 12-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

seems as though we may be eager to lynch this fella

we don't know his intentions, nor what he's even done
he may have cut the quarters off and used the fenders for his car for all we know

also, i see little problem in a rebody with the original frame so long as he doesn't try to sell the car in a few years as an 'all original' car

If he's just wanting a gorgeous car to enjoy (a personal driver to have done in a few months), i can't blame him at all -

keep up the good (hopefully) work Andre, i love the pictures regardless of what you're doing