THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol,,,,i broke or smashed every toy I got eventually. My father used to tell me I could break a bulldozer. Even my poor old metal lunch boxes looked like they had been through a demolition derby. Im a late boomer and have liked fast cars all my life,,,,,remember riding in my uncles 67 chevelle SS 396 around 1969,,,loved that car. My 70 GTO I bought in 86 and probably will give it to one of my boys someday. Ive still got vinyl albums and 45's and 8 tracks in the basement. I remember when we had the "dangerous" lawn darts,,with the point on the end. Me and my step brother went at it playing one day in the 70's and Ive still got the hole scar in the side of my leg where I didnt move fast enough to get out of the way,,,i guess i lost.

Last edited by scott70; 09-23-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
Lol,,,,i broke or smashed every toy I got eventually. My father used to tell me I could break a bulldozer. Even my poor old metal lunch boxes looked like they had been through a demolition derby. Im a late boomer and have liked fast cars all my life,,,,,remember riding in my uncles 67 chevelle SS 396 around 1969,,,loved that car. My 70 GTO I bought in 86 and probably will give it to one of my boys someday. Ive still got vinyl albums and 45's and 8 tracks in the basement. I remember when we had the "dangerous" lawn darts,,with the point on the end. Me and my step brother went at it playing one day in the 70's and Ive still got the hole scar in the side of my leg where I didnt move fast enough to get out of the way,,,i guess i lost.
I still have "those dangerous lawn darts"!

Old 09-23-2022, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been following this thread with interest.

I am not convinced people, or generations of people, can be "pigeon-holed" (hopefully you youngsters understand the term )

I am more of the opinion that individuals are individuals.

I just barely made the chart (by 3 months).

I don't think I ever tore up a toy; but in that era, few toys to tear up.

On the other hand, the neighbors kids tore up everything they had, including a couple of mine.

But as far as personal nostalgia:

My favorite Christmas toy was an Erector set in 1951 ( I still have it). I collected stamps and coins (still do, and have almost all from the start).

We had vinyl (I still have all I ever had), and my record player from 1957 (it still works).

Fast forward to the next generation: I have two children (in the 1970's). One is trying to recreate everything from their childhood, the other lives in the present.

Where I am really nostalgic is in concepts, conditions, etc.

We had no locks on the door (other than a catch on the screen door to keep the wind from opening and closing).

Mostly grew up on a farm, but other than two decades I spent in a 6-month period in Los Angeles, spent some time in 3 small towns/cities in north central Missouri. EVERY INDIVIDUAL IN THESE TOWNS/CITIES WOULD HAVE BEEN WELCOME DINNER GUESTS IN OUR HOME, AND WE WOULD HAVE BEEN WELCOME IN ANY OF THEIRS!

Items were loaned to neighbors, and returned.

If a neighbor had a problem, you helped the neighbor.

An example of the above: About 1962, the largest farmer in our area was involved in a major vehicle accident in the very early spring, just before spring planting. He worried in the hospital about getting out his crops. When he was discharged and on the way home, he found some of his land, which was fallow prior to his accident, was now worked. His neighbors, from miles around, had brought their equipment and had planted every field he owned (the seed store had provided the seed) prior to working any of their own fields.

And yes, I WOULD like to go back!

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 10:28 AM
Boost Engineer

Memories, Thanks Jon.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great photo shoot - and 69 T/A!

Haha lawn darts...i memba those

Yes, people helping people...lost civilization

Old 09-23-2022, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!

Old 09-23-2022, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=scott70;6374458]Lol,,,,i broke or smashed every toy I got eventually. My father used to tell me I could break a bulldozer. Even my poor old metal lunch boxes looked like they had been through a demolition derby.

Same here. I invented lunch box derbys. I used to take a rock or hammer and dent up my Hot Wheels and Tonka trucks. I used to like pitching hot wheels across the driveway and checking out the damage.. I was a rotten little kid.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 09-23-2022, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hated when other kids would scratch my cars- still do!

I kept everything in pristine condition. My Dukes of Hazzard lunch box looks new- not like it was dragged to school every day

Old 09-25-2022, 08:13 AM

[QUOTE=scott70;6374458]Lol,,,,i broke or smashed every toy I got eventually./QUOTE]

If I smashed a toy, my face would get smashed in by my parents. I'm thankful for that too, everything I own is in pristine condition and I rarely need to replace anything.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Took a while but here are some of the skateboards I have in the shop. I have a few more in my office for a killer zoom call background.

On top of the Coke machine is a bow- it’s a Cobra ‘Warthog’ which as far as I can tell is what Bo and Luke used in the first few seasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C7D4716-F0FC-41A5-82EB-2EACB91CCE29.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	599508  

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 11:53 AM

I rode a skateboard to Jr high and started with a Kmart plastic skateboard. Then everyone was telling me I needed to get a wood board and kryptonic wheels they were the best. I bought some orange kryptonic wheels along with a friend and we thought wee were coolness personified . I will say a longer board and the krptonic wheels did help going over smaller rocks. Less of chance of pulling a Superman with those wheels over the harder plastic wheels.