THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's all a money grab. When I lived in MA it was $30 a year for an inspection. Everything had to work and pass smog or it failed. Then you had to have a "Qualified" shop fix it.

Here in FL no vehicle inspections. Now I've seen some bad cars that shouldn't be on the road but at least it's not a money grab here for vehicles.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 01:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default Emissions tests cracking down on classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Ive been following that a little. I used to live in Vegas and have been thinking about moving back. 5 years in the small town midwest has convinced me that I am not bible belt material. I miss the restaurants from Vegas, and resent all the nonsense gossip here constantly going about.

I was reading up on the laws if I went back, and at least in Clark County it sounds like there are separate more lenient rules for cars from 1967 and older. If I went back I would have to downsize my hoard anyway. I would probably just stick to cars that meet that 1967 benchmark,

I thought it was cars ‘68 and older but you might be right. Of course my car is a ‘69.

If I ultimately have to have my car smogged, the guy at the DMV who does VIN and odometer inspections eased my fears when told me the bar for that test is set pretty low.

With the 455 I’m building, the cam has moderate overlap. However 10:1 compression and Edelbrock heads with CNC’d chambers ought to help burn up what’s coming out the tail pipe. I’ve decided that I’m not going to worry about emission tests until I have to start worrying.

Vegas has grown up a lot since you’ve been gone, and the housing prices have too, but it’s still really popular. Here in Reno it’s no different. I first moved to Reno in ‘74 and the metro area had 75,000 people. I moved back in 2015. Now we’re closer to 500,000 but it’s still a very livable city in a great location. Gas is high here like most west coast states (currently right around $5/gal plus or minus a few cents) but there is still no state income tax.

I lived in the Atlanta area for 15 years (‘90-‘05) and while I love the area and my oldest son still lives there, it had (has?) it’s share of weirdness. I stopped telling certain native Georgians I was originally from Connecticut. Ever see the movie 2000 Maniacs (original), or 2001 Maniacs (remake)? I might have been “A Guest of Honor!” Damn carpetbagger yankee!! hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-21-2022, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
It's all a money grab. When I lived in MA it was $30 a year for an inspection. Everything had to work and pass smog or it failed. Then you had to have a "Qualified" shop fix it.

Here in FL no vehicle inspections. Now I've seen some bad cars that shouldn't be on the road but at least it's not a money grab here for vehicles.
It's $35 here now.

They only check emissions through the OBD2 port. If they plug it in and see no CELs for emission related systems, you're good. They dont do any visual inspection. Plus I think after a vehicle hits a certain age they wont fail it for emissions.

For example, my GMC Sierra is my daily, and I have long tube headers, no cats, no egr, and no coffee can/purge valve. Still passes inspection no problem. And it's not that old.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-21-2022, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exempt plates here for 25 years and older. Only 1st time inspection plus one time fee and tax, but no inspection after that. The vehicle is only allowed to be driven to car shows, cruise nights, and repair shops. If caught without a good excuse, ya get a ticket. Go to DMV and just get the sticker for one or 2 years and stick on your license plate.

Tho you can drive out of state to car shows with no problems with the exemption. If gas was cheaper back in 2018 I was going to drive the GTO up to my class reunion in Massena, NY. It didn't happen. I had to drive the Ford Fungus up, but it got 38 miles to the gallon to get there. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 08-21-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Illinois
OBDII cars in certain urban-suburban areas get checked for codes and readiness monitors every other year. The drive-thru test is run by the state. No pass = no license plate renewal. There are ways around it though for hardship and such. Plate sticker is $151 every year.

Antique plates at 25 years old but "Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration." Pretty loose law, but I never see antique plates on daily drivers. Old cars are too easy to steal.

No safety inspections in Illinois until after the accident.

What sd7369 said sums it up in Illinois as well:

"These junkyard refuges can have 4 bald tires, broken glass, fenders flapping in the wind, exhaust held up by coat hangers, belching a crop duster smoke screen blowing coolant on your windshield and the police usually do nothing to enforce the laws."

Old 08-24-2022, 11:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only change to the Nevada requirement is you will need to also carry classic insurance.
The vin inspection is just a form you complete stating current mileage doesn't go over the 5,000 mile limit and there is NO onsite inspection. Here's a copy from the Neveda DMV

https://dmv.nv.gov/platesclassic.htm

Beginning January 1, 2023, owners of vehicles with Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod, or Old Timer license plates will be required to carry classic or antique vehicle insurance. Owners who do not meet the requirements will have to obtain a different license plate style.

You must show the Declarations page from your insurance policy as proof that the vehicle is covered by Nevada liability insurance that is specifically designated for classic or antique vehicles
The vehicle may not be used as general transportation, driven more than 5,000 miles per year or used in any commercial capacity
The vehicle may be driven in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades or similar activities or for maintenance
Vehicles that meet these requirements are exempt from emissions testing if the owner also completes an .
Renewals may be completed in person, by mail or by fax at (775) 684-4797. Complete a for mail or fax renewals. Original plates must be obtained in person.
If you do not meet these requirements, you must obtain a different plate style and an emissions inspection if needed. These requirements apply to all vehicles with Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod or Old Timer plates regardless of location or whether they are subject to emissions testing.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arizona.

Specifically, Maricopa County (think metro Phoenix) requires emissions test for anything 1967 and newer when registered as a 'driver.' What type of license plate you run is not relevant. It's how the vehicle is used (based on insurance).

Over the years, I've have registered many of my cars under both conditions depending on what I'm doing.

Currently, my 71 GTO and 74 Bonneville are both registered as drivers with regular insurance. The GTO runs a vanity plate and the Bonneville runs a vintage (original) AZ plate, year of manufacture. No mileage limits or restrictions, but it means I have to have a dyno roll, emissions sniff test on both of them.

My others are registered as 'classics' as they carry 'classic or collectors insurance' on them. In other words, "for parade or show use only." My particular policy doesn't limit annual mileage, and it isn't checked, but the assumption is about 2,000/year. No emissions required for these cars and again, the plate used is irrelevant.

Basically, pay and test to drive regularly, and pay additional fees if you want vanity or vintage (year of manufacture) plates. Or just run plain vanilla AZ plates for no up charge.

As the years go by, the cars migrate to different catagories and I run various plates.

But it does seem silly to me to smog a 55 year old car regardless.

Of course there are probably only a handful of guys out there like me who go thru the hassle. Fortunately, no 'safety inspection' required here. All AZ cares about is the tailpipe emissions.

"Saving the planet, one classic Pontiac at a time!"

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 08-29-2022, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
In NH if you register your 25+ year old car/truck as an antique you have to have a safety check every 2 years. Prices are not set by the state so you can shop around. They average between$35 and $50. If your car is registered as an antique and over 60 years old you don't have to have it inspected. We also have "Street Rod" plates but I don't know their rules.
Over 60 and NO inspection?? Haven't ever heard of that here.
If you drive over 1200 miles, your inspection sticker will get you back in 1 year.
I have cpass standard plate on a 72 and get 2 years due to low miles driven, so the 2 years isn't strictly antique.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have noticed that within a state, the emissions testing part of inspection can be different or non existent, by COUNTY..

Old 08-29-2022, 03:29 PM

Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts there is no emissions requirement for older cars (15 years or older). There is a yearly inspection process for "safety". I've had some odd experiences though. Once I failed for windshield washer fluid, or lack there of. I had to hook up an aftermarket electric pump to get through. I also failed once because the license plate light was out. WTF. The socket was shot so i needed to replace it. Once again... Somehow the car had no rear seat belts. Had gone through inspection several times with no issues. Turns out they had just fallen way down and were under the seat. They must have been there for MANY years and they were so corroded they didn't work anymore, even after much WD40. I needed to order and install some seat belts. I guess I can't complain about that too much. I keep waiting for them to notice that the odometer doesn't work... not sure if they care or not but the mileage has been the same for the 7 years I've owned the car.

The Following User Says Thank You to hgiv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 03:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegto65 View Post
The only change to the Nevada requirement is you will need to also carry classic insurance.
The vin inspection is just a form you complete stating current mileage doesn't go over the 5,000 mile limit and there is NO onsite inspection. Here's a copy from the Neveda DMV

https://dmv.nv.gov/platesclassic.htm

Beginning January 1, 2023, owners of vehicles with Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod, or Old Timer license plates will be required to carry classic or antique vehicle insurance. Owners who do not meet the requirements will have to obtain a different license plate style.

You must show the Declarations page from your insurance policy as proof that the vehicle is covered by Nevada liability insurance that is specifically designated for classic or antique vehicles
The vehicle may not be used as general transportation, driven more than 5,000 miles per year or used in any commercial capacity
The vehicle may be driven in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades or similar activities or for maintenance
Vehicles that meet these requirements are exempt from emissions testing if the owner also completes an .
Renewals may be completed in person, by mail or by fax at (775) 684-4797. Complete a for mail or fax renewals. Original plates must be obtained in person.
If you do not meet these requirements, you must obtain a different plate style and an emissions inspection if needed. These requirements apply to all vehicles with Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod or Old Timer plates regardless of location or whether they are subject to emissions testing.

Interesting, thanks for posting this. However I do believe that they will need to inspect the odometer which is what they did last time I renewed my reg.

In Nevada I never have had to get a safety inspection for brakes, lights etc. (Thank goodness, hahaha)

I’m using Hagerty for insurance on my LeMans, it was actually less expensive and more comprehensive than my regular car insurance (State Farm).

I wonder if companies like Hagerty would tell people with 1996 mini vans to bug off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-29-2022, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To "Fomulabruce" see SAF-C 3224 sect(C) for 60 year old cars with antique plates. Everything I was writing about was for cars registered as antiques only. I have never owned a street rod so I never checked on their requirements when registered as such.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Just read this on the internet but recalled I heard it here first
https://www.motorious.com/articles/f...registrations/

Old 09-08-2022, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quite interesting how far Big Brother reaches into our world in the name of "Climate Change." As though somehow cracking down on the hundred or so of us driving our classics in these states are the problem.

Such nonsense. And so sad.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Pontiac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since my county,Westmoreland is close to Pittsburgh we have emissions, my truck being over 9kgvw is exempt.Now Fayette county doesnt have or didnt have emissions. Seems like a money grab and favoritism. Just heard recently something about license plate changes. $$$.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
When I lived in NJ: '66 Goat, Historic tags, no emissions/inspections, re-register once per year, zero $$

Still the same....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 09-09-2022, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PA: One time historical vehicle fee, then zero renewals or inspections for as long as you own the vehicle.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-09-2022, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's interesting how the emissions testing component varies so much state to state and even within each state. It also blows the way of the current political climate. Currently in Ohio, their is no emission testing at all except for 3 counties of the 88 in Ohio, centered around Cleveland. At one time, we had mandatory emission testing in 18 of the 88 counties around most of the larger metro areas. Residents of those counties carried the cost of those tests for all Ohio residents. Ohio had a rolling 25 year old testing window. Meaning each year, the previous 25 year old vehicles became exempt. This made little sense since OBDII emissions systems became law in 1996. It's important to try and keep tabs on the requirements for our old collector cars and fight unreasonable standards these cars were never designed to meet. The overall mileage driven is so low, and the number of cars so small, the effect of these cars driving around can't possibly have any measurable effect on air quality.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to live in Phoenix, and hated going through emissions every year. Then I moved to Utah, and they allowed cars over 30 years old to get "vintage vehicle" plates which exempted you from emissions and safety inspections (they have since eliminated safety inspections completely). I now live in Tennessee. Several of the urban counties have emissions testing (no safety inspections). They have some kind of antique vehicle registration available, but it limits you to weekends and car shows, so I didn't get it. Where I live, there's no emissions, and registration is 30 bucks a year for any vehicle, old or new.

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 09-09-2022, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a bit of a hodge-podge of laws there, but the registration fees are nice.

In emissions areas of AZ now, you can be exempt by having classic car insurance (I have Hagerty). Still get to have regular plates and drive whenever/wherever I want, but I'm emissions exempt and my 5-year tags cost in the $60 range.