THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:11 AM

I've always loved the look of the 4th Gen, in particular the makeover in '98 with that Ramair front end. Not to mention the 30th Ann.
Finally picked one up a few weeks ago.. it's a little bit of a fixer upper but great bones.
It is for my oldest daughter who just turned 15 and got her permit, Dad's first car was a T/A so why not hers too Anyways it is a good light project for her to help out on.
I like them so much I may just have to trade my Challenger for one or trade it to her for hers lol
Best of luck finding what you are looking for, they are great cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TA6-2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	586843  

Old 03-22-2022, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

I just purchased my first one last week, 94 Firehawk #448. I'm loving it so far, 18K miles, 6spd, and a procharger! Lots of fun!

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
I just purchased my first one last week, 94 Firehawk #448. I'm loving it so far, 18K miles, 6spd, and a procharger! Lots of fun!
Nice! That's in line with what I'm looking for. Where did you find it?

If I get my courage up, I'll knock on the door of the one I found locally. Last time I saw it, it was pretty rough around the edges. It's currently under a cover so I suspect they were tired of getting asked about it.

I'm seeing lots of nice autos, but the 6 speeds seem to be harder to come by. I also want t-tops which seems to be hit or miss. There's a really nice low mile Comp T/A I've been considering, but I prefer the Formula styling of the Firehawk and it's an auto.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 03-23-2022, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

I forgot to mention the oil consumption problem on '99-'01 LS engines. My '02 was okay, but my friends '01 at around 5k miles started using a quart of oil every 800 or fewer miles. He had to have the dealer check the oil weekly, and only they could add oil. Since his car didn't fall within the parameters of the TSB, it was not covered under warranty. TSB below.

Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption
(Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover)
#01-06-01-023A
Subject: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Number: 01-06-01-023A
1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro

1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette

1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird

with 5.7L. Engine (VINs G, S -- RPOs LS1, LS6)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years for the Corvette, information on the LS6 engine, and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-023 (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition

Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked the oil consumption could be in the range or 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

On the LS6 engine only, the technician may find oil behind the engine throttle plate and in the intake manifold.

Cause

The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs -- typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

On the LS6 engine only, the engine has a unique aluminum valley cover that has composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing incorporated. In some cases, the PCV baffles may not be properly sealed to the valley cover, causing oil to enter the PCV system.

Correction

On the LS6 engine only, replace the engine valley cover if oil is found behind the throttle or intake manifold before replacing the piston rings. Refer to Engine Valley Cover Replacement in the Engine Mechanical - 5.7L subsection of the Corvette Service Manual.

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the kit should be discarded.

Important

Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition.
Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively affect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accomodate the 0.25 mm over sized piston rings.

Parts Information

Part Number Description Quantity
12568002 Valley Cover 1
88984247 Ring Kit, Piston 8
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty use:

Labor Operation Description Labor Time
J0250 Manifold or Gasket Intake - Replace Manifold Use Published Labor Operation Time
J1307 Piston, Rod and/or Rings -- Replace Both Banks Use Published Labor Time
End of Bulletin #894549
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There's a nice 4th gen anniversary model on BaT right now...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2022-03-23

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-23-2022, 03:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I love those blue wheels. The previous owner of my 30th had them restored and they are just painted. They don’t have near the same look

Old 03-23-2022, 05:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Nice! That's in line with what I'm looking for. Where did you find it?

If I get my courage up, I'll knock on the door of the one I found locally. Last time I saw it, it was pretty rough around the edges. It's currently under a cover so I suspect they were tired of getting asked about it.

I'm seeing lots of nice autos, but the 6 speeds seem to be harder to come by. I also want t-tops which seems to be hit or miss. There's a really nice low mile Comp T/A I've been considering, but I prefer the Formula styling of the Firehawk and it's an auto.
Mine showed up on FB market place. Lucky for me it was close so I went and looked at it and made on offer. He had already put it on E-bay so I waited for the auction to end and it didn't sell. He called me back and accepted my offer. They are out there but the 6spd t-top cars are a little harder to find. Be patient, buy the nicest low mileage car you can afford!
Good luck!

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you like the LT cars you should be able to get a pretty good deal

Old 03-23-2022, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
Mine showed up on FB market place. Lucky for me it was close so I went and looked at it and made on offer. He had already put it on E-bay so I waited for the auction to end and it didn't sell. He called me back and accepted my offer. They are out there but the 6spd t-top cars are a little harder to find. Be patient, buy the nicest low mileage car you can afford!
Good luck!
The procharger sounded familiar, I must have seen the listing. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
If you like the LT cars you should be able to get a pretty good deal
I used to ignore them, but the LT cars have definitely grown on me. I think it's the lower production and "simpler" styling. I love the original Ram Air hoods on the earlier Formula body. Hoping I can find a gem out there for a reasonable price that will make for a fun cruiser I could show on occasion.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still hunting for that 4th Gen. To be honest, I’m a little surprised by the prices of these cars. Nice lower milage ‘98-‘02 WS6s and Firehawks asking prices are around or over $30k. Even LT1 cars are in the mid-20s. Not sure if that’s reflective of the used car market and the prices will settle or it’s a signal of their collectability. Maybe both. Wondering if it’s better to wait things out a bit more.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Still hunting for that 4th Gen. To be honest, I’m a little surprised by the prices of these cars. Nice lower milage ‘98-‘02 WS6s and Firehawks asking prices are around or over $30k. Even LT1 cars are in the mid-20s. Not sure if that’s reflective of the used car market and the prices will settle or it’s a signal of their collectability. Maybe both. Wondering if it’s better to wait things out a bit more.
I have this WS6 listed on ebay. No reserve 26,000 mile car for $16,000. Nice clean car .. automatic hardtop. Most stick cars are beat and most t-top cars have nasty interiors..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275384149784

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles

Last edited by 71GP76TA; 07-17-2022 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:32 PM

The 4th gen Fbody are fun cars.

I remember the first one I drove , that was in 1995, back when I was racing SCCA GT class Third Gen F-bodies on week ends and was driving a second gen as my fun car.

Back in 1995, I was really not a fan of the "new" camaro design and somewhat looked down on em for the over abundance of plastics inside out, the still crappy interior materials and the engine tucked so far back in the engine bay making it hard to service.

So we're in Montreal Canada, August 1995 and meet this young and beautiful barmaid one night at a local bar, where she worked. Looooong conversations led to her telling me about her ride, she had a camaro . It turned me on instantly!, I asked what year... then she said it was a "new" 4th gen one, a 1995, and stick shift to top it off !

I was in love, and the fact that she had some of the largest breasts id seen had nothing to do with it, I swear...

After telling her about the beauty of Cape Cod, she was really curious about the east coats and ocean that she never seen before. I offered to take her to Cape Cod at the end of her shift which ended at 3 am...To my great surprise she said "yeah lets do it"!

I remember her car was hard top, manual 5 speed and the 3900 series V6 not the more common 3.4 liter. Color was some plum like color Gm had in the 90s.

Driving the thing I was very impressed how tight and smooth that new f-body was, precise steering and good brakes too. It was surprisingly peppy with the manual and the 3.8L V6, it totally changed my negative perception of the new chassis.

After we crossed the US border, she slept most of the trip only to wake up as I was parking at the beach in Woods hole MA. We had a little fling that lasted a couple days driving up Maine's back to Canada.

Actually the car proved so smooth that I got a ticket on the way back, for 91 mph in a 55 zone on I-89 in Vermont just before the border...

Many years later I came across this Sebring Silver 1999 WS6 Formula coupe, M6. All original with 80k on the clock...

Knowing that specific model was the smallest production Formula ever made, I stayed in touch with the owner until I he was ready to sell.
***(Only 113, 1999 Formula Coupe M6 ever made, only 10 made for Canada and most likely the only one in Sebring Silver in Canada)

Also the fact that these cars were assembled just 40 minutes from my hometown, that I knew Zeke's who was installing the SLP packages on those for GM, was also adding to the interest.

I drive the thing on occasions and drive it the way it was designed for...

I prefer the 4th gen birds more than Camaros, just from a design standpoint. I like formulas more than trans am for the lightness and more subtle design , even if a 99 formula WS6 has really nothing subtle about it...

Peter

Old 07-26-2022, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
I have this WS6 listed on ebay. No reserve 26,000 mile car for $16,000. Nice clean car .. automatic hardtop. Most stick cars are beat and most t-top cars have nasty interiors..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275384149784
I saw that one - looks nice! Like the color combo a lot and you're relatively local to me. The price is right, but an automatic and no t-tops held me off. You're right about the interiors being rough around the edges on t-tops and 6 speed cars being used. Good 6 speed cars command a premium.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I saw that one - looks nice! Like the color combo a lot and you're relatively local to me. The price is right, but an automatic and no t-tops held me off. You're right about the interiors being rough around the edges on t-tops and 6 speed cars being used. Good 6 speed cars command a premium.
Car is still available. Let me know if you change your mind. It won't hurt my feelings if I keep it as it is a very nice car.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 07-27-2022, 02:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a '97 WS6 6spd that was a lot of fun. Same general issues as already mentioned. Sold it with 18K miles to a LEO. Although the LS is more desirable, I would think the LTs could be had for a better deal.

Miss my '69 GTO also.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220323_113108482_2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	595045  

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 07-27-2022, 02:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is one off our local Craigslist identical to mine:

https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/d...508813261.html

These cars have been on Hagarty’s top 25 list for 10 years. They seem to just keep going up.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still find myself drawn to the LT cars even if they're not as desirable. IMO Firehawk felt more limited and genuine to the 93-97 cars, whereas on the LS cars it's mostly an appearance thing. I also prefer the styling of the earlier cars, I love those ram air hoods and the air filter staring you in the face when you open the hood. They're also generally lower production.

Kind of slim pickings out West right now as far as I can tell. There's a few '99-'02 Firehawk coupes for sale in the low $30s. The manual LT Firehawks I've been able to find out here are rough around the edges even if the milage is on the lower side. There was a Comp T/A on the central coast up for sale a few months ago for $19k in fantastic condition. I let it slide because it was an auto. Kind of regretting that now. My wishlist of 6 speed, t-tops and leather tied to a well kept example at a sensible price is harder than I thought to find so maybe it's time to loosen my requirements.

I started looking across the country but not sure how I feel about dealing with transports and a remote purchase.

Last edited by Verdoro 68; 07-27-2022 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

4th gens are so much fun - just fantastic bang for the buck.

My wife and I had a 94 1LE for a couple of years - ran it in as many autocross events as we could. We drove it back and forth to track days and autocross events and it never left us stranded. The LS cars were generally faster, but LT1's are quick enough - and they sound fantastic at full song.

There is a ton of aftermarket support for the 4th gen. platform. Plug and distributor changes can be a pain on the LT1's, but they are definitely do-able if you can turn a wrench.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In my opinion LT cars sound better too

Old 07-27-2022, 11:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I still find myself drawn to the LT cars even if they're not as desirable. IMO Firehawk felt more limited and genuine to the 93-97 cars, whereas on the LS cars it's mostly an appearance thing. I also prefer the styling of the earlier cars, I love those ram air hoods and the air filter staring you in the face when you open the hood. They're also generally lower production.

Kind of slim pickings out West right now as far as I can tell. There's a few '99-'02 Firehawk coupes for sale in the low $30s. The manual LT Firehawks I've been able to find out here are rough around the edges even if the milage is on the lower side. There was a Comp T/A on the central coast up for sale a few months ago for $19k in fantastic condition. I let it slide because it was an auto. Kind of regretting that now. My wishlist of 6 speed, t-tops and leather tied to a well kept example at a sensible price is harder than I thought to find so maybe it's time to loosen my requirements.

I started looking across the country but not sure how I feel about dealing with transports and a remote purchase.
I just shipped a new Raptor from Florida to San Diego ($3,200) with no issues, also shipped 4 other cars this year from various N.E. locations to Florida, again no issues. You can negotiate rates...
If you're interested, I still have Comp T/A #006 still for sale with 16k miles.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=853678

Mike