THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:11 PM

Default Quarter Mile, Street Cred and other Shenanigans

I have a place near a street corner in a quiet but posh neighborhood. That means, lots of bozos with a AMG C63 , M5 , lambos and the likes like "gun" it from our street corner any time of the day or night.

First off, before arriving at the corner they push the "sport button" and dowshift like arriving for a pit stop...with super annoying backfire mode thanks to a silly ECU programming and mega loud exhaust ( now theses cars have speakers installed in the exhaust system, literally!)

Then they activate "launch mode" and accelerate their 2 tons of computers, electronic sensors, electrical wiring, 8 speed automatic transmisison and traction controls off the line... and usually let go after 500 ft of loundness...

Those new cars are getting fast with 450-600 hp on tap even if they're real heavy their numerous electronic nannies and controls makes em fast...

These days I ride my bikes due to the warm sunny weather we have now ,one of em being a decent liter Sportbike , I rarely encounter those bozos on the road when I ride and when I do I leave em behind in short order cuz I dont want em around me.

Since I very seldomly drive my old cars around, and most often at night time I seem to never get lucky finding "new tech fast cars" to play when im driving my old stuff around... maybe its better for my ego....

There is fair bit of difference between a car that's set up for 1/8 or 1/4 mile only with optimized chassis and gear for sticky tracks compared to a street "cred" machine, or no prep car that you guys may build differently

I was wondering if you guys like to "measure up" against those cars , I mean it could be either street racing, digs , roll on drag whatever you call it in your area.

Do you guys have fun stories racing against new sheetmetal? If so what set up do you have ?

Old 07-26-2022, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I street raced an early 2000's 280z about 6 years ago. I sucked his eyeballs out, it was not to far from my house so I rolled home and put the car away. LOL. I live behind a local 1/8 strip too. As you come south and go thru the light you have woods most of the way and apartment gaurdrail on the other side you got almost a 1/4 mile. You hear everyone getting on their junk.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:41 AM
Senior Chief

I live near a T intersection in a fairly rural area. Going from the intersection away from the dead end, its 1/4 mile from the change in pavement to a wooded area near the road as a reference point. There used to be a good amount of shenanigans 20 years ago, not so much now. One year, a guy came out and spray painted the start and finish lines, and did a pretty decent job.

When I was much younger, the racing was good. Now just an occasional full throttle short run by someone that thinks they have something.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 07-27-2022, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the classes I run is the NMCA "True Street" category, wherein 'street' cars do a 30 mile cruise and then make three passes back to back.

The rules are pretty much wide open, so you get a lot of entry level racers and you get a lot of guys showing up with whatever new toy they just bought (Hellcats, Demons, new corvettes and a ton of new Mustangs).

Seems like a lot of the baddest MOPARs are in the 10.20 - 10.40 range.

I don't see it in person (because I'm in the car), but I'm told there are a lot of quizzical looks and whispers among the MOPAR afficiandos when I dust one by making a high nine second pass next to them.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 11:55 AM

One night before she went in for restoration I had mine on the loop around our town. A CTS-V came rolling up at about 70. He wanted some. So I got up on that 2.78 open diff and let him have it. He got me. But I caught up. When he looked out his window and saw the 70 Sport, Cheifing it down the road north of 140MPH with pedal to spare, there was mutual respect. Then I let up, stopped, waited for the shakes to stop and, then drove home like nothing happened. LOL! Reminds me. Car needs more downforce. She wants to fly away when running like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to TxSportCoupe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSportCoupe View Post
Then I let up, stopped, waited for the shakes to stop and, then drove home like nothing happened. LOL! Reminds me. Car needs more downforce. She wants to fly away when running like that.
Second gen F-bodies also want to fly away at around 140 mph....Dont ask me how I know, but that must be why they named one of 'em firebird.

Peter.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those days were 40-45 years ago for me. I have nothing to prove these days and enjoy my old cars even more than I did then. I frown at morons who make noise and drive recklessly.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I often tell people to leave the ignition alone, And they don't. Last Sunday it was 99 and a local jerk with a 454 chevelle who Always burps tires and runs up next to guys trying to race was broke down.... A friend of his that I know asked me what It could be.. told him to send a pic. Told him to smell the MSD6AL. Yup, Fried potted electronics.. , and here in New England.. Impressive!! Put a slight smirk on my face.. meanwhile the HEI is working ��.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
One of the classes I run is the NMCA "True Street" category, wherein 'street' cars do a 30 mile cruise and then make three passes back to back.

The rules are pretty much wide open, so you get a lot of entry level racers and you get a lot of guys showing up with whatever new toy they just bought (Hellcats, Demons, new corvettes and a ton of new Mustangs).

Seems like a lot of the baddest MOPARs are in the 10.20 - 10.40 range.

I don't see it in person (because I'm in the car), but I'm told there are a lot of quizzical looks and whispers among the MOPAR afficiandos when I dust one by making a high nine second pass next to them.

K
Sorry for the Chevy pic but - to prove my point - if you look in the background there is a Mustang behind me.

(The photo is what they used for advertising the 2021 meet).

K

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle True Street Norwalk 2021.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	595167  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-29-2022, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sharp car.....

GT