Old 06-24-2022, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

my parents bought my 65 GTO in 83 or so, I got it from them around 91. Still stuck with the stupid thing even though everyone knows that Chevies are better.

kidding ...

Old 06-24-2022, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The old man was always a chevy guy so I had to be different yet loyal to the fam.

Also went on an unforgettable road trip from Canada to Cali in my buddy's 76 FB right outta high school which sold me on the 2nd gen handling for life.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:47 PM

Growing up in a Pontiac Dealership is what did it for me.
Mom and Dad sold evering and borrowed as much as they could to buy the dealership in 1960....and my twin brother and I were teenagers.
Boy have I washed a lot of Pontiacs in my life.
First car was a 61 Catalina convert...tri power and a stick. My Mom always liked the short deck cars and a stick too.
Next car I actually owned was a 66 gto tri power with a stick
And then a 69 ram air 3 Judge ...a Pontiac engineer was in the store the first week I owned it and told me to get rid of the 744 cam...he shipped me a box with a complete ram air 4 top end and I installed the cam and heads myself...still a teenager in high school
This Pontiac engineer influenced me a lot.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
And then a 69 ram air 3 Judge ...a Pontiac engineer was in the store the first week I owned it and told me to get rid of the 744 cam...he shipped me a box with a complete ram air 4 top end and I installed the cam and heads myself...still a teenager in high school
This Pontiac engineer influenced me a lot.
Sounds like something Mac McKellar would do.

We kept burning out the aluminum manifolds running them on the street. Once the patches had patches welded on them my dad threw them out and made a set of shorty tubular headers.

Mac saw those and liked them and said "I'm going to grind you a cam for those."

He did. Even stamped the production numbers on the end.

Here's how that story ended up:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...rs#post3809459 (post #81)

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 06-24-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
Who influenced you to pontiacs, pontiac performance?
Dad.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...-still-family/

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990396621018

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-24-2022, 04:51 PM

Yes Dad for sure
Passed recently at 98 and was still talking about early SD's 425A trophy and Ram Air.
In 1962 we flew back to Pontiac and watched a 62 Bonneville convert be assembled and then drove it back to Utah just because you could do so at the time. It was a 425A trophy and a stick.
Those were the best days.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:54 PM

It’s really hard for me to write this. My dad passed away a few days ago and I don’t think I’ve fully come to grips with it. My dad was the one who even entertained the idea that I get into old cars to start. I remember being 14 and having stacks of Hot Rod, Car Craft, and High Performance Pontiac magazines. My dad was handy, but definitely not a car person or mechanic.

We were taking a ride, just he and I, to visit my grandmother that lived about 45 minutes away. I spotted a 68 Firebird at the back of a small used car lot. This was 1994. The car was pretty rough. I think my dad’s belief in me far outweighed my actual ability to fix this car.

It was $1500. Looking back, and knowing what I know now about cars, it was probably about right, but for me it may as well been $15,000. We finished our trip and came home. The next day, the car was in my driveway. A surprise from my father to me. My mother was less than enthused. My mom was very well aware of my abilities and thought this whole thing was a terrible idea.

That car was the one. The one that started my passion for cars, and especially for Pontiacs. By the time I was ready to drive, I had the Firebird looking pretty good. Lots of body work and paint, interior and a transmission rebuild and it was ready to go. It was my daily for years.

I’ve owned around 50 cars since then but none as special as that car. I still have it. It’s crazy to find such comfort in a thing, but when I sit in that car I can still feel my dad next to me. We had some great times and built some wonderful memories together thanks to that car. His health had been declining for a while now and I know that he’s in a better place now.

One of the last conversations I had with him was about the Firebird. I found a nice original 400 hood for it after looking for almost 20 years. He’s smiled when I told him about it. His eyes lit up when I told him it’s also got a factory hood tach.

Thank you dad, for always being in my corner no matter what, and instilling good old common sense and strong values into me as we worked on this car together.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tinindian68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2022, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am truly sorry for your loss. Your Dad was a very special guy. It is obvious that he loved you very much. And that he supported and believed in you. You are a lucky man to have had such a wonderful Dad. I’m truly sorry for your loss.

The Following User Says Thank You to tempest1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2022, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry for your loss tinindian68. My Dad got me into cars/Pontiacs also. I was excited to take him for a ride when my GTO is done, but he passed in Oct. I know he will be with me though when I take that inaugural ride.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2022, 10:07 AM
Senior Chief

My favorite uncle had a ‘68 GTO.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:40 AM

Growing up my parents rebuilt Chevelles, my dad had a 69 Chevelle SS 396, my mom had a 71 Chevelle Malibu and my brother had a 1970 Chevelle Malibu.

They were our daily driver cars back in the 90s
We had a ton of spare parts left over from the builds. So when I turned 15 my dad said we need to start looking for a car for when I turn 16. He asked me what I had in mind and without hesitation I said a.GTO. His reply was are you kidding me? All these extra parts and chevelles and you want a GTO?! I didn't ever get my GTO but from that day forward it was my dream car.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:31 PM

My father bought a '71 GTO brand new when I was 15. About 7 yrs later, my little sister ran it into a ditch. As we were looking at it while it sat at a body shop; Dad said the ins. company had totaled it. I said let's keep it and drag race it. We bracket raced it for several years while always looking to go faster. The H/O and Jim Hand books were very much our guides as we made improvements. We eventually ended up with a '72 HO headed 455 that ran consistent 10.80's-90's. This was at 3500 lbs and back in the late '70's was considered pretty damn quick. There weren't a ton of aftermarket speed parts for Pontiacs in those days. That Goat would always be quicker than a certain 460 Ford Mustang that wanted so badly to outrun us. I then ran a Pontiac powered Trans Am in S/G for many years. My father and I have loved Pontiacs since the '70's. so I guess you could say my father and that '71 GTO started my love for Ponchos.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinindian68 View Post
It’s really hard for me to write this. My dad passed away a few days ago and I don’t think I’ve fully come to grips with it. My dad was the one who even entertained the idea that I get into old cars to start. I remember being 14 and having stacks of Hot Rod, Car Craft, and High Performance Pontiac magazines. My dad was handy, but definitely not a car person or mechanic.

We were taking a ride, just he and I, to visit my grandmother that lived about 45 minutes away. I spotted a 68 Firebird at the back of a small used car lot. This was 1994. The car was pretty rough. I think my dad’s belief in me far outweighed my actual ability to fix this car.

It was $1500. Looking back, and knowing what I know now about cars, it was probably about right, but for me it may as well been $15,000. We finished our trip and came home. The next day, the car was in my driveway. A surprise from my father to me. My mother was less than enthused. My mom was very well aware of my abilities and thought this whole thing was a terrible idea.

That car was the one. The one that started my passion for cars, and especially for Pontiacs. By the time I was ready to drive, I had the Firebird looking pretty good. Lots of body work and paint, interior and a transmission rebuild and it was ready to go. It was my daily for years.

I’ve owned around 50 cars since then but none as special as that car. I still have it. It’s crazy to find such comfort in a thing, but when I sit in that car I can still feel my dad next to me. We had some great times and built some wonderful memories together thanks to that car. His health had been declining for a while now and I know that he’s in a better place now.

One of the last conversations I had with him was about the Firebird. I found a nice original 400 hood for it after looking for almost 20 years. He’s smiled when I told him about it. His eyes lit up when I told him it’s also got a factory hood tach.

Thank you dad, for always being in my corner no matter what, and instilling good old common sense and strong values into me as we worked on this car together.
That's a great story and it's beyond the greatest, coolest thing ever that you still have that car.

And, I'm very sorry for your loss.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NOBODY ! I went shopping in 1964 for a used car. I wanted to buy a 64 GTO but my mom wouldn't co-sign the loan because I was 1-A in the draft.
My step-dad was an Oldsmobile guy so we found a 59 Olds. It was white with a Red top. 394 cu-in. No thanks. Then we saw a 59 Catalina. It was Red with a white top. 389 cu in 2-barrel. I drove it home. The rest is history.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"