Old 07-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Factory Stripe Application

I just finished installing a reproduction stripe kit on my Firebird. It all went well but all of the measuring, marking, soapy water and squeegeing took a couple hours. It strikes me that the factory didn't take 2 hours to install stripes....I'm sure they had a more automated way to do it. Does anybody know how it was done on the assembly line?

Probably the same for the later hood birds, Mustang Boss 302 stripes, etc. Any big floppy decal.

Just curious....
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”

Last edited by Elarson; 07-04-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They weren't done on the main line, but out back.

Also - after you've done a few hundred they no longer take you two hours.

But - yes - done by hand with soapy water. Still how it is done today.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have put the decals and stripes on USPS trucks for 25 years . I know near a thousand. They actually have measurements for where they go . But after a few you really don't need to measure. You get pretty good at it

soap and water is ok . They also sell a installation jell . But I find aerosol speedway or your favorite foaming window cleaner to work well . Don't use anything with alcohol in it .

Old 07-12-2022, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For many years worked across the street from a Pontiac dealer. In the late 70's it became fairly common for the dealers to find the decals tossed in the trunk. They had to put them on. I assume there might have been a rebate for the dealerships extra time "detailing" those cars.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting info, thanks!

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”