THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Like any building occupied for any length of time it's safe to say there were changes to the building over the years. keep the image fresh.
Those garage doors are pretty distinctive.

Looks like there may have been an "L" shaped wing that was removed at some point.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

didn't realize til now that I in fact remodeled that place years ago as a foreman for the construction company that did the work.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Royal Oak announces

Okay, now I get it. After making my post last night, I thought about the possibility that the pictures were of buildings erected after the originals were demolished. I figured you guys would set me straight. Otherwise, I would be posting in the parts for sale "One NOS brick/make offer."

Old 09-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Red face Woodward Dream Cruise

You guys mentioned parking at St. Mary's @Lincoln & Lafayette. I graduated from there in '68. Our house was right behind the Totem Pole Restaurant, just a few blocks down the street. This Woodward cruise is on my bucket list, my '65 GTO ought to be finished by then.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was traveling down Main St in Royal Oak (Livernois in other Detroit area 'burbs) and thought I would check in on the remodel.

Here is what it looks like now:

Neither building kept the old 400 N Main address. The Salon is 418 N Main and the other building is 485 N Main.

Time marches on.

Except for that house. That old house never changes.

K

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4768.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	576813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4769.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	576814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4771.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	576815  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-02-2021, 06:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As they say you can't stop progress. I for one wished they would have saved a small piece of the shop at least as a mini museum.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonder what ever happened to that sign?

Old 11-03-2021, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In that picture looking through showroom window is that a 63 SD station wagon in the back? The one larger picture in magazine looked like one.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting perspective. If that old brick house could talk.......
There was a small mom and pop Pontiac dealer a few miles away. I passed the empty building many a time. They had a wonderful Pontiac dealer sign on the front of the building. I thought of looking up the owner and purchasing it. As typical I hesitated. One day I drove by and dozers were doing their job. I keep looking for the sign to show up some place but my guess, it went into the landfill. Tractor Supply now stands in that location.

Wangers Pontiac, Buck PA. (Quarryville)

Old 11-03-2021, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That vintage picture of the Royal Dealership is a great one. That was one handsome dealership and great history. The replacement Hotel is typical generic box, but still probably better than an abandoned, boarded up building.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Interesting perspective. If that old brick house could talk.......
There was a small mom and pop Pontiac dealer a few miles away. I passed the empty building many a time. They had a wonderful Pontiac dealer sign on the front of the building. I thought of looking up the owner and purchasing it. As typical I hesitated. One day I drove by and dozers were doing their job. I keep looking for the sign to show up some place but my guess, it went into the landfill. Tractor Supply now stands in that location.

Wangers Pontiac, Buck PA. (Quarryville)
Kerry, I was in Vo-Tech school with a guy that ended up working there after we graduated. He ordered a Dark Blue 74 SD Trans Am after he started working full time. Lost track of him over the years. You are not the only one that wonders what happened to that old dealership sign. OBTW, it was Wenger Pontiac.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
As they say you can't stop progress. I for one wished they would have saved a small piece of the shop at least as a mini museum.
Sad, I went by the old Fresard (Royal ) spot the other day, I sat in that showroom and bought a new car once, the Fresard parts Mgr, runs the Cadillac parts dept in troy, he still answers Pontiac questions, lol. He saved the key blanks from Fresard, I bought 4 for my TA. A few times I was trumped on a part, and went in and talked with him.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 11-03-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The replacement Hotel is typical generic box, but still probably better than an abandoned, boarded up building.
True.

As I was going back through those old posts I noticed an advertisement for the property, which I would imagine was a very desireable good sized chunk of land right in town.

It seemed to indicate Fresard sold it for $3.5 million.

K

Old 11-05-2021, 09:48 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
When the GTOAA convention was held in Atlanta(late 80's/early 90's), one of the scheduled events was a silent auction. One of the items being auctioned was a brick represented as being from the Royal Pontiac dealership after it was demolished. I seem to recall there were possibly two of these bricks offered. I won the auction on one of these bricks, and Jim Wangers autographed it for me, writing something like "From the original Royal Pontiac dealership." Now you guys are showing me the old Royal buildings are apparently still standing, so I'm wondering what the hell did I actually buy at this auction all these years ago. Did one or more of the original Royal buildings get demolished years ago , but others were left standing? Keith, I figured you would know the history, so what gives? Maybe I've misunderstood the above posts.
I also have one of those bricks. It was a silent auction for charity and got one of the three.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."