THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been working one day a week for the last three weeks. I live in a tourist town ... absolutely devastated by this. Hotels empty, restaurants and bars at 30% capacity, no concerts, no conventions. Probably 40% of the service industry workforce still out of work. About 10% of the businesses have closed for good. And in this state they will probably keep this things effectively shut down for another four months.

Not a big deal for me financially, but it is for a lot of others in this town. Tons of people under 30 in the service industry that haven't worked since March.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never stopped. I work in the glass industry, and tempering to be specific. But we are SWAMPED! The more windows the protesters break, the more money we make.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never stopped working.
I am grateful to be unaffected, and count my blessings.

Because of my commute (the office I work from is in a small town about half an hour drive south of my city) I was previously set up to be able to work from for bad snow days ect.

After March 16th, I shifted to working from home full time;
It was an adjustment, but I/we worked out some of the bugs that were there previously, and now I have a virtual network to transfer files, and actually put work on the server and print paperwork in the office for the shop to build.

I quite like being able to work from home;
I enjoy hearing my kids throughout the day, only on occasion do they get on my nerves;
I enjoy being able to have lunch with my family;
My eldest will be entering kindergarten next month, and my youngest is three.

Unlike some I have no issue buckling down, and not getting distracted (in spite of appearances; eg: me posting this).
I hear that for some the tv being close by is a big distraction, and I can proudly say that I have never once turned on the tv (for myself) during the work day.

I'd say that quite honestly I am actually getting more work done from home than at the office.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been pretty lucky also, am semi-retired. I worked for and am currently working for a company that designs and manufactures automatic test equipment for the semiconductor industry. Specifically, I'm involved in the redesign of our assemblies that have parts that go obsolete; our products have a long lifetime in the industry. Obsolescence is continuing.........

Been working from home mostly, as the new designs arrive, they need to be tested, so I'll be spending more time in the lab.

george

Old 08-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is going to be a reckoning come out of this with regards to working from home. A positive one in my opinion. Business after this are going to have a hard time explaining to certain employees why they need to be in the office 5 days a week. Even myself, I am a technician, but turning wrenches isnt all I do. I do tech writing, a have some team members under me so I do reviews and whatnot. On days when we are light on actual production work, there is no reason I couldnt be petting my dog at home while I work on the computer.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 08-26-2020 at 03:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Construction subcontractor - never stopped although several of our big jobs were down for 10-12 weeks. Of course when they came back subs were expected to somehow make up the lost time so we did our best. Work flow getting stable again but now supply issues are the new abnormal.
Our oldest and her husband are both teachers with a toddler, 3 kids in various grades and a college freshman. They've been off since March and are now heading into unknown territory.
I consider us all fortunate - no real hardship or illness - so will send prayers for those that have.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Never stopped, but on a 10% layoff.
That does not mean much when you are salary except the actual salary.
Some days working from home, some days in office.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am in outside (traveling) sales and while they did not lay us off we were home for about 4 months. Still can’t travel to some states.

We did have to shut down our foundry for two weeks due to construction being on hold in major markets (NYC, Boston, TX, SF, LA, etc) . Overall I have been very lucky

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

never stopped

The Following User Says Thank You to firebirdcrazy1959 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Never stopped - I get 40-hours and more sometimes each week. Tractor trailer driver at a trailer shop. Our shop work, parts, and sales have fallen way off and we send our mechanics home when there isn't enough work. I don't think many have seen a full 40-hour paycheck since this thing took hold. So instead of laying a few off at a time and rotating the layoff so the mechanics could collect $600 a week plus unemployment, our company makes them suffer with less than a 40-hour work-week check which is not much because we don't pay high dollars and these guys have wives & children.

Three people in the shop got the virus at different times to include me, but it only lasted 2 days and I was over it and worked the entire time wearing a mask to protect others - no one caught it. One guy had it for 3 days and worked through it, our 70 year old salesman got it along with his wife and he was over it in a couple days, 5 people claimed to be exposed to others who had it and took the 14 day quarantine - but we pay workman's comp to cover time lost, so not sure if they were exposed or not. We take forehead temperature readings each day and if you don't hit 99.9 degrees, they won't send you home.

I refuse to wear a mask if I can get away with it. The only place I do is the bank because they have a security guard who will walk up to you and put the box with the masks in it right in your face and tell you to put one on. Otherwise, I tell them I have a "medical condition." The truck stop I fuel up at has a sign to cover their butts for people like me, "The Management Assumes If You Do Not Wear A Mask That It Is Because Of Medical Conditions. I think every store, restaurant, bar, & business should have one of those signs and open the doors and get people back to work.

"Why do people wear facemask in their cars when they are the only one's in it?

The Following User Says Thank You to PontiacJim1959 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Champ tell your son from a former soldier thank him for embracing the suck. That travel ban stuff must be overzealous policy by The Corps because my partners brother who is stationed in Guam just flew Space A to Charleston and we picked him up and he stayed 15 days and then his brother flew Space A back with him and stayed another 10 days. They are both E-7 and not whale **** anymore but they shouldn’t be punishing junior enlisted like that while SNCO’s traverse the globe.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never stopped...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HVAC... we stopped installs for 6 weeks. Service kept rolling. I came back a week before the installers to get work set up. The owners family were nice enough to give us 3 weeks pay, before they came out with $600 thing. Turns out all they had to do was wait but no one knew what relief, if any, anybody would get. I sell Carrier equipment and now it is tough getting equipment but we made due and we are busier than ever and had record months here. If I was able to get equipment and we had enough labor to get sold systems installed I would be the wolf of wall street this year but I still have a job. I got a couple of buddies with small businesses, one closed and the other is struggling. Both restaurant/deli type places.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a design engineer, and the entire engineering staff was told to work from home in early April. I'm probably working more hours, but I don't have the 1.5 hour daily commute and an hour lunch. Other than being furloughed for two weeks without pay, I haven't missed a day.

My wife worked at Home Depot, and I asked her to take a leave of absence in early March. She hasn't worked a day since then.

I was planning to retire this summer, and focus on down-sizing my collection of old Pontiacs and parts. My stuff is mostly stored 2.5 hours away, so all of that has been on hold. I don't go out anywhere unless absolutely necessary.

I had big plans for my retirement. I was going to downsize the collection, find a place in the NC mountains with a big garage, sell my rental house, then sell my current home. I have looked at only two homes since the Covid crisis hit, and neither were in the mountains. As long as I can work from home, I'll probably keep working until a vaccine comes around or they tell me to start coming back into the office.

The Following User Says Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 02:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm an electrician. A lot of my company's projects got suspended (only "essential" projects were allowed to continue) and a lot of people spent some time at home, collecting their full pay thanks to a PPP loan my company got. I wasn't so lucky, I was working on one of those essential projects so had the privilege of actually getting up and going to work each day... LOL.

We're back to being pretty busy now, lots of new work coming up and just about everyone is working though most of the office staff are working from home.

The Following User Says Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Champ tell your son from a former soldier thank him for embracing the suck. That travel ban stuff must be overzealous policy by The Corps because my partners brother who is stationed in Guam just flew Space A to Charleston and we picked him up and he stayed 15 days and then his brother flew Space A back with him and stayed another 10 days. They are both E-7 and not whale **** anymore but they shouldn’t be punishing junior enlisted like that while SNCO’s traverse the globe.
He's still in training - so I think that's the reason for not being allowed more liberty. A 14 day quarantine due to Covid exposure would require him to be recycled.

I think once he completes his underwater training at Pensacola and actually starts his aviation maintenance training at either Pensacola or Cherry Point (depends on which aircraft he is assigned to as flight crew) he will be able to get off base.

Why underwater training for aviation maintenance?

Well, airplanes or helicopters fly over water. If his bird goes down over water, he needs to know how to exit the craft to survive...

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have never stopped working. All 30+ people come in every day and work. Record performance numbers in June, and backed it up with July

Covid cases- 1. employee caught it from interaction with a client, and sat out 2 weeks.

On the classic car circle, we are getting ready to do our 25th rolling car show/drive. We meet at a predetermined location, hang for about 1/2 hour, drive for 1-2 hours (all back roads, and roads less traveled), have lunch at a restaurant (at first it was picnics, due to rules) , drive for ice cream, return home. The participation feedback indicates its much more fun than sitting at car show. Even in our most stringent shut down, the rules said you could leave your home to get food, however it never said you should go to the nearest place. As we can only go in 3 directions, and our westerly direction is into the sticks, it has been a bit challenging, but doable

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 04:39 PM

I never stopped. Being a career Firefighter we’re deemed critical workforce so I’ve worked through the pandemic and a few major hurricanes which was an experience all together.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been remote since March 16. I, as others, feel very fortunate to have not stopped or been financially effected.

I am saving fuel costs plus the time to commute, 3 hours /day. Some of my colleagues are saving 225.00 / month in tolls plus fuel.

The Following User Says Thank You to ponjohn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No change, I'm still retired.

The Following User Says Thank You to hobbygto65 For This Useful Post: