Old 01-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64-5 convertible top frame color.

I know that the predominant color of top frames is semi gloss black. However I have seen an original owner 64 convertible with the baby blue top with the dark blue top frame and dark blue inner liner.
I have also seen a 65 with the same configuration. Do any of the other top colors trigger the top frame to be a color other than black?when I got my 64 it had a top frame that had been repainted a saddle/ light tan color and had been a beige top color. Since I changed the top to white, I painted the frame semi gloss black. Now I'm curious.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:57 PM

I have an un-restored 64, Saddle Bronze body paint, built if Fremont. The top frame is saddle. Hard to say if the top frame was originally exactly like the body color or slightly off.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jtea64- what color top did that car have from the factory? Can you post a few pictures? My 64 that I am referring to is also a Fremont car and started life as Alamo Beige with saddle tan interior and beige convertible top.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 PM

This car was assembled with convertible top code 6 which is called Beige.
The body was code S which is Saddle Bronze.
The interior was code 16, called Light Saddle.
I believe this code 16 was for the steering column, front of dash, etc. The top frame appears to be the same color but since they are not exactly side by side, I can not say for sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to jtea64 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre, my first car was a Skyline Blue 64 Lemans that I bought in 1970. It had the original white roof on it when I bought it and the top frame was black. The car I have now is the same Skyline Blue, but it came with a light blue roof originally, which was still on the car when I bought it in 1975. The top frame is the baby blue color you described. Both cars were built in Pontiac.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:17 PM

Here is some info on '64 conv top colors for the Lemans/GTO copied from Pontiac sales literature dated 8/15/1963. It shows there were 6 top colors, 6 interior colors, and 15 exterior body colors.
The chart shows what combinations of colors could be ordered.
I have not seen any factory info on what colors the top frame was painted for the different combinations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64ConvTopChoicespc.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	350705   Click image for larger version

Name:	64ColorChart1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	350706  

Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't seen any info on top frame colors or any discussion on it. Since most top colors are black or white, top frames are black and thats widely accepted. We now have examples of beige top having a saddle bronze frame, and light blue tops have the blue frame. Still waiting for others to chime in on the subject. This may extend to the later years also.