Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default 65 grille paint colors

Had some questions on restoring the grilles on a 1965 GTO. Is the entire housing inside and out (except for the slats) aluminum or gray color? Any black anywhere else other than the slats? Anyone have recommended colors/sheens?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used Argent silver which is the same color I used on '66 Grilles or rally 1 wheels.
I found a silver color at the Advance Auto parts store that is a dead match. I have the can at home and can check it for you for name/number

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used Duplicolor FM149 argent spray paint, which is also a dead match, but I believe they are changing their numbering system or that specific color is going away.

The entire housing area inside is argent with the exception of the foremost edge, which is chrome. The outside of the housing is flat black.

Slats are black, although I do not have a specific color code.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Andre and Keith. I wasn't sure about the outside of the housing as mine had both silver and flat black on it. I went to NAPA for some argent duplicolor yesterday and they no longer carry a color called argent. I bought some aluminum duplicolor and it looks maybe a little too light/bright?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the aluminum may have too much metalflake in it. Will report later as promised.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

try the SEM product line. this is a little more of a commercial line of product. sells at most all auto body shop supply stores

http://www.semproducts.com/

Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here is product. look at video. download color chart. there are several grays or silvers . these are correct flatness.

if you find a store in your area they may have color in stock. but will have a color chart to look at

http://www.semproducts.com/product-c...bumper-coater/

Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
here is product. look at video. download color chart. there are several grays or silvers . these are correct flatness.

if you find a store in your area they may have color in stock. but will have a color chart to look at

http://www.semproducts.com/product-c...bumper-coater/
Hi dld. Thanks for the info thus far. I too would like to restore my grilles, and did check out the SEM site you suggested. But even with the colour charts, I am still unsure of what black and what silver a guy should use.

Do you have an exact suggestion?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the black is o gloss. the silver or argent is speculative at best. hard to say whats exact. would need a nos grille to use to compare with color chart.

sem also has a trim line of color aerosols. as you can see there are many shades of gray,silver or argent used in cars as it is very neutral.

don't get all hung up in color names. they have nothing to do with consistency in shades. more of a retail term.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is what I have used for a few years. It matched a couple of nos pieces spot on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140115_214612_618.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	349494  

Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Here is what I have used for a few years. It matched a couple of nos pieces spot on.
Thanks Andre. I will try to track that silver down up here in Canada. Andre: Can you confirm the DupliColor part number for this silver caliper paint is BCP103?

Also, I just want to make absolutely sure that the black is flat. As in absolutely zero gloss. Like a BBQ.

Is this correct?

Last edited by propuckstopper; 01-16-2014 at 12:34 PM.