Old 01-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Correct 1964 spark plug wire dating

Our Host lists 1Q64 and 4Q64 repro wires. (also Ames) Seems like I have seen original wires 2Q64 show up on April, May, June cars. Anyone have some evidence that 2Q64 was the mid year 64 correct wire? Ames lists 2Q64 but has "inquire" after the listing.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

I asked this question to a friend of mine who knows Mr. Ames. I was told that two companies were contracted out to make the dated wires. One company out west makes 2 out of the 4 quarter dated wires and the other company in Charlotte, NC makes the other 2 quarter dates. The NC company decided to change the size of the wires from the standard 7mm wires to larger wires.

So that is what inquire means: you can get those dated wires but they will be the wrong size wire from the original size.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OUCH!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another case of let's reproduce a part but let's do it wrong, they'll buy it? I don't understand.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down EXACTLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Mark View Post
Another case of let's reproduce a part but let's do it wrong, they'll buy it? I don't understand.
It seems about 98% of repro parts are "not done correctly" but since the novice restorers purchase the crap anyway and go win a trophy at the local car show the suppliers don't really care!

What is so difficult about these two examples;

1) Plug Wire Dates - They take the time to manufacture reproduction plug wires in the correct gauge, length and boots. Why can't they offer all 4 quarters of each year (I have seen all four quarters printed on GM plug wires) to date match a car that someone is putting 10's of thousands of $$$$ into!

2) Tri-Power Carb Tags - Again, they take the time to make three aluminum triangle tags but only stamp a select set of part numbers and one date code (M5) which happens to be for a 66 GTO. REALLY?

Sorry, but I had to vent on this irritating topic.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 01-02-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with everyone and wish the 79.00 wire set I have were 2nd qtr. I wonder how they are marked? Would that be a rotary stamp or given the small imprint, could a regular hand stamp be made from an office supply outfit and then used to stamp any wire set? Maybe Jake 64 could be persuaded into having a 1st, second, third etc. made? Jake?

The Following User Says Thank You to War eagle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Give Lectric Limited a call at 708-563-0400 They reproduce all the wireing for our cars. Let us know your results.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

War Eagle

I don't know if this qualifies as evidence, but my observations over the years appears to show that the second month of each quarter was the transition month for the date appearing on these wires. Some of these quarters could go pretty deep into this second month before the changeover was made.

The difficulty in making our own wires is due to the appearance of the script on the wires. The appearance is what I would describe as a silk screen effect, in that not a solid letter is formed, but rather each letter/number is comprized of many small dots (not sure how to better describe this). Back in the '80's I had a couple of repro folks after my original wires which I declined to give out, not wanting to risk the loss or damage to these wires. They informed me that silk screening was not utilized, but rather a print wheel was used. It would be difficult to replicate this appearance.

Two different styles of wires were used in 1964. Typically only one style was used on each vehicle, but I have also noted where both styles were used on the same car (see picture below - March vehicle). One style had the script followed by a 'circle (dot)', and the other style followed by 'GM'. For anyone interested, the original wire lengths in inches measured from back to front were as follows: Right side - 26, 23, 28, 32; Left side- 21, 25, 27, 29. The coil wire was 13.5 inches long. All measurements are + or - 1/2 in., as I was holding and measuring these wires very gingerly.

War Eagle, what month was your car made, and are you still looking for wires?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	March Ignition Wires 002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	364481  

Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jake KC body was assembled 05D and a broadcast date of June 4. The engine cast May 14th and probably dressed in the following 2 weeks which given a lead time for wires, 2nd qtr should be close.

To your other point about the wire harness brkts at valve covers. My originals are painted blue with the chrome valve covers showing blue at edges. This is also the case on my 65.
I have concluded that the harness brkts are most likely dipped in blue paint. I have no idea why Pontiac would even paint them. Except that rust would set in and look bad against the chrome. (the blue was available also) I have dark or black phosphate v.c. bolts. No blue paint on them.

I called some of wire repro guys and also a search yields no 2qtr wires. I am still interested in a set.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to Jake64. The 2Q64 sure looks better than 1Q64. This was not that hard to do and can`t figure out why the correct repros are not available. Appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0007.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	378039