Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

Default NOS 1966 Dash Pad (in the BOX ) GTO Le Mans

I have a 1966 NOS Black Dash Pad in the GM box was wondering what is it worth in todays market your help would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

6 - 700 would be a fair price , may go for more on ebay .

Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! I can't say that I have seen one of these in a long time. I'd guess $1000-$1200 for the NOS fiend.
I think it is worth more now, than it will be a year from now, but thats a discussion for another day.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant say Ive ever seen an NOS one. Nice piece. Big buck to the guy doing a high dollar restoration.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Wow! I can't say that I have seen one of these in a long time. I'd guess $1000-$1200 for the NOS fiend.
I think it is worth more now, than it will be a year from now, but thats a discussion for another day.
OK, Andre, clue us in. Inquiring minds want to know.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
OK, Andre, clue us in. Inquiring minds want to know.
Someone must be getting ready to repop them. Thats my guess anyway.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to be a downer, but an NOS vinyl and foam dashpad that's over 45 years old has got to be almost as hard and brittle as one that's survived but has been in a car (and not in the sun a lot). I can see paying a boatload of $$$ for an NOS hard part, like a tail panel or a console, but personally, not for a vinyl/foam part. Plastic and vinyl out-gas and degrade over time, no matter what. I'm betting if you gave it a good squeeze, it would crack. Still, My bet is that it is, indeed, worth $500--$1000-up, provided you keep it in the oem box. Without the box, it's just another nice dash pad. Sure is a neat find, and in all my years of GTO's, I've never seen one!!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know why someone hasn't reproduced them earlier. The biggest cost of course is the one year only tooling for each year GTO.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I don't know why someone hasn't reproduced them earlier. The biggest cost of course is the one year only tooling for each year GTO.
And it's almost always on the list of restoration things to do. But then again there are pleanty of places that repair them.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A proper fit repo dash pad for any year GTO would be great. Better than the stuff they're selling now. I could use a new one for my 66 but I can't see spending a fortune for one that old, or a repo you have to 'fix' to install it. Might as well have an original recovered.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Senior Chief

guys thanks for all the reply to the thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

Cool to see that stuff show up whatever the price! Where does something like that reside for 40+ years ? Someone's garage?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never seen a "nos" one. I purchased a few really nice looking used ones in the past 5 years and one was so brittle it cracked within a few weeks-just sitting around. The other one is still holding up good and quite supple.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 AM
Senior Chief

its amazing what is still out there went to look at a car in the PA area and WALLA pontiac parts on the shelf

Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO I would agree with the issue of OLD vinyl.
You could try to apply conditioner but at the suggested price/value,
I myself would pay that to have my OE refurbished, which is what I have done.
$500 for an old pad, or $500 for a new pad?

Ssnake Oyl does amazing work.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any NOS or mint used dash pad is very rare! The above Black one is just that! Whenever anyone sits in my 66 I tell them DO NOT TOUCH THE DASH PAD! My Red one is firm but still in mint condition after 47+ years. Whenever it's parked out in the sun (car show) it gets covered for protection!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 GTO Met. Red Interior (6).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	348010  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Senior Chief

one good thing about this dash pad it was stored very very well still soft

Old 12-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dash pads are a funny thing. You would think that here in Florida, they would turn to junk pretty quickly, but they have survived quite well. It seems that most of the non cracked mint ones that I have found were the saddle tan color. Maybe that color vs black is more resistant to heat and UV? I don't know.

Back in 1980 when I first had my '66 GTO, the dash pad was cracked. I took it to a upholster working out of a one bay garage, and dropped it off. He said come back later in the day. I did, and sure enough it was perfectly recovered without a seam. It cost the princely sum of $40 which was more than a days pay.
That pad was black. When I restored my '66 in 2005, I choose to go with the gold interior vs black. I got a repo pad but it fit so horribly, that I ended up using my same recovered pad and having it dyed dark saddle. It still looks amazing in 2013.

Now back to my comment regarding why I think the dash pad is worth more today that it will be a year from now. I've touched on this before regarding the nos '64 wood wheel. My thoughts based on observations and keeping my thumb on the pulse of the hobby is as follows: Every day, we have more and more GTO's/Lemans/Firebirds coming out of restoration shops and increasing supply. Meanwhile the people who are tied to these cars are getting older and older causing demand to go down, and thus prices fall on cars and parts.

Supply of rare cars like matching numbers Ram IV cars, Judge convertibles, and cars with documented racing heritage or ownership will always be a fixed supply so that part of the equation won't be affected as much.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Dash pads are a funny thing. You would think that here in Florida, they would turn to junk pretty quickly, but they have survived quite well. It seems that most of the non cracked mint ones that I have found were the saddle tan color. Maybe that color vs black is more resistant to heat and UV? I don't know.

Back in 1980 when I first had my '66 GTO, the dash pad was cracked. I took it to a upholster working out of a one bay garage, and dropped it off. He said come back later in the day. I did, and sure enough it was perfectly recovered without a seam. It cost the princely sum of $40 which was more than a days pay.
That pad was black. When I restored my '66 in 2005, I choose to go with the gold interior vs black. I got a repo pad but it fit so horribly, that I ended up using my same recovered pad and having it dyed dark saddle. It still looks amazing in 2013.

Now back to my comment regarding why I think the dash pad is worth more today that it will be a year from now. I've touched on this before regarding the nos '64 wood wheel. My thoughts based on observations and keeping my thumb on the pulse of the hobby is as follows: Every day, we have more and more GTO's/Lemans/Firebirds coming out of restoration shops and increasing supply. Meanwhile the people who are tied to these cars are getting older and older causing demand to go down, and thus prices fall on cars and parts.

Supply of rare cars like matching numbers Ram IV cars, Judge convertibles, and cars with documented racing heritage or ownership will always be a fixed supply so that part of the equation won't be affected as much.
I can't agree more. It's like a factory process and the supply of restored cars today is far higher than it was say 10 to 15 years ago. The choice to buy a car that s been restored is far more broad ( with far less if any major parts needed to restore) and more cost effective than buying a rusted hulk and starting from scratch. This also touches on why collector car auctions like Mecum are doing so well. But that's a topic for another thread.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:50 PM

I searched for over a year for a nice 66 pad drove to several peoples place only to end up looking at nasty and damaged pads. while at the spring Englishtown swap meet, I started talking to an old guy that was with family selling car parts some 70 GTO. we talked and I told him about my unsuccessful searches. he told me he brother died and he had a new one in his basement from him for over 30 years. we settled on $200 and met at Carlisle and all worked out well. it is soft still. I do keep it out of the sun.

Jim