THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any Bay Area members know anything about Sunnyvale

My '64 GTO convertible yields from Larry Hopkins Pontiac in Sunnyvale. The dealership is still there, but is now Larry Hopkins Honda. Car was built up the road in Fremont.
When I got my car there were a few odds and ends in it from the Lamplighter Inn. Doing some research I found that the Lamplighter Inn was just down the street from Larry Hoplkins on Camino Real.
Does anyone know any history regarding the Lampligher Inn? It's no longer there, and now a relatively new building sits there.. Crazy Buffet or something like that.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Smile

It's been gone for at least a decade. Used to be a hangout for techies from Apple and other SV firms, and local pols.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sunnyvale is a very expensive place to live now.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM

The Lamplighter is mentioned in many histories of Silicon Valley, as Bob said all the local engineers and programmers hung out there. I imagine a lot of secret plans were discussed after a few martinis.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
Sunnyvale is a very expensive place to live now.
Always was from what I remember. I lived there for 6 months in '92/'93 when going to an automotive trade school. Worker's comp put me up in a fancy hotel while I was there. Was driving my '67 ragtop then using a screwdriver to start it.

Even then it was very hard to find anyone that spoke English. Almost lost my mind when trying to get directions to the hotel for the first time, and had already went the wrong way from Santa Clara all the way down nearly to Gilroy before I realized it and turned back around.

The Following User Says Thank You to INJUNTOM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of place was the Lamplighter? I have a room key with a FOB that says reward for returning, a post card showing an aerial view of the compound, and a empty book of matches.
Was the food any good? Anyone old enough to remember it in the '60s or 70's?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I grew up in Santa Clara, which borders Sunnyvale. In the late 70's I served my automotive apprenticeship at Sunnyvale Lincoln Mercury which was the next block up from Hopkins Pontiac, so I passed it about 20 times a day while taking test drives. I had a 65 GTO at the time and would buy parts for it at Hopkins. The Hopkins family has been around forever, and I think the son, Steve Hopkins owns a Honda or Acura dealer in Fairfield. The Lamplighter sounds familiar, but I can't picture it in my mind. Too long ago I guess. Besides, back then I hung out at the De Anza Lounge.

Expensive, hell yes. My parents bought their house in Santa Clara in 1965 for 30K. Santa Clara and Sunnyvale were all cherry orchards back then. Those same houses sell for a million bucks now, and it will get worse now that Apple is building their world headquarters on the Santa Clara/Sunnyvale/Cupertino border. The new 49er stadium won't help with traffic either. Personally, I can't stand the place anymore, just a concrete jungle now, and too much traffic. Besides, I only speak English, so I don't fit in there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eaglesan13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sequoia Automotive Institute in Mountain View, or De Anza Auto Tech in Cupertino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJUNTOM View Post
I lived there for 6 months in '92/'93 when going to an automotive trade school.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJUNTOM View Post
Always was from what I remember. I lived there for 6 months in '92/'93 when going to an automotive trade school. Worker's comp put me up in a fancy hotel while I was there. Was driving my '67 ragtop then using a screwdriver to start it.

Even then it was very hard to find anyone that spoke English. Almost lost my mind when trying to get directions to the hotel for the first time, and had already went the wrong way from Santa Clara all the way down nearly to Gilroy before I realized it and turned back around.
When I worked for Firestone..... They offered me a store in Sunnyvale to manage. The problem was...is that they paid the same as managing a store in Antioch....Modesto...etc... Needless to say... I turned down the offer....and about 3 months later I went into business for myself.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

71gp76ta did you know a Firestone guy by the name of Harold "Hal" Pique?
He worked that area from the mid 80's till ?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Senior Chief

Default Highway 82

El Camino Real was a big cruise spot for a while. The turn around was just short of Sunnyvale, then back to Santa Clara. I believe its also Highway 82. I lived just off of Monterey Road in South San Jose, it also is part of HW82. It was the old and slow way from SF to southern cal.

The Following User Says Thank You to grrrrregg!!! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is all great information. Thanks all

Old 12-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Senior Chief

My 70 Judge was also built at Fremont, sold at Larry Hopkins Pontiac in Sunnyvale. Been looking for information about the dealership and haven't found much, but did find this old hotrod picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LarryHopkins1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	346733  

Old 12-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Sequoia Automotive Institute in Mountain View, or De Anza Auto Tech in Cupertino?
I don't believe it is there anymore. ATCOA North - Automotive training corp of northern California

Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine reported that the local Nissan dealer in Sunnyvale has 50 Leafs on the lot. That answers the "who the hell is buying those things?" question.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

AGTO8U... that race car is BRUTUS. Was sponsored by Larry Hopkins raced / owned by Lew Arrington / "JUNGLE" Jim Lieberman

Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by brut4s View Post
AGTO8U... that race car is BRUTUS. Was sponsored by Larry Hopkins raced / owned by Lew Arrington / "JUNGLE" Jim Lieberman
Cool............and thanks for the info.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This frame is like the ones I picked up for my '64-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131056487156...84.m1423.l2649

Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to tease with this info, but I ran into a guy at Cars and Coffee this weekend who used to work at Larry Hopkins Pontiac back in the '70s. He said he's still in contact with the family and thinks he has some remaining memorabilia around. Sadly I got caught up chatting with some other folks and wasn't able to get his contact info. I believe he said he was restoring a '69 Grand Prix. I think he was with his brother - super nice guys. Hopefully I'll run into them again at the next Cars and Coffee.

I asked about the Lamplighter Inn and he didn't recall much except he said there were a bunch of "rough and tumble" bars around that area back in the day.

Incidentally, my coworker also grew up in Sunnyvale and didn't have much of a recollection of the place either. Based on the address she seemed to remember that it was a rougher side of town.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken- No tease! I'm leaps and bounds closer to finding a few items than when I started this. Would be excited to get a key fob from Larry Hopkins. Does the family still own the Honda dealership? I found a Larry Hopkins postcard from the early 70's that shows early imported Hondas on the lot.

The search for information continues.