Old 12-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a ton of pics I can post if necessary but this site is taking forever to upload anything! I'll keep working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest pics 001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	345667   Click image for larger version

Name:	buick parts 101.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	345668   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest pics 004.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	345669   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest pics 006.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	345670  

Last edited by boostmaster; 12-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As you can see for the some of the starting pics, essentially the car had sat neglected for a while.

The honest truth is that there are so many bits and pieces (many of which I don't even know what they are or what they do) that I've been overwhelmed. I'm all over the place...

I suppose that I can order a new engine and tail harness and reuse the other stuff for now to get he project mobile... If the "boss" want's new later I can always do that. Besides, I don't worry about fires as I keep the batteries disconnected or removed when not in use. (When I dig out the harness, I'll clean it up and shoot some pics and post it here for opinions. If it's bad I'll go from there.

As for the other parts, I think I have stored most of them for reference- to make sure the new stuff fit properly and so on. I gave them the engine after I opened it and made sure it was still serviceable. I took off the little brackets but left most everything else. They tossed what they felt should be replaced.

I tired to be as thorough as possible with this stuff but as most projects go, if it takes too long to get back to it, you'll manage to have parts all over the place.

For example: I have a new fuel tank in my "parts bedroom". Old one was yanked and thrown away by body shop - they said it was no good (so I have no sending unit and I don't know how it was plumbed as I don't have pics)

I have the original brake master cylinder in a box. Body shop was insisting at a minimum that I buy a new double and maybe a booster for safety. (haven't done so yet)

The machine shop rebuilt the 2bbl for me but I haven't affixed it. (It's in a box with a bunch of little odds and ends that I need to figure out)

My dash gauges are stock and refreshed by Pete Serio. My dash has been cut and a/c panel retro-fitted- I'm painting it as well. I had my new shop cut in the a/c vents for the sides of the dash.

Radiator was in very poor condition so it's on the list of things to be replaced.

Interior was trashed so it all needs redone. Seat frames are down to springs. (blasted and painted) Original is gold but now "boss" is thinking black since we may need to stay in the hot rod black color for a while.... Maybe I'll just buy a used black bench set up and call it good.

She's even wanting to use the old crusty emblems (need s set of 326 fender emblems) and skipping most of the chrome...

The list goes on and on and on.

Last edited by boostmaster; 12-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It doesn't sound like your body shop did you any favors! What gave them the right to just toss parts?

Old 12-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm probably at fault as I left the tank on there assuming that it would probably better to put a new one... didn't think about the sending unit.

For the most part they saved all the salvageable parts for me.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pics

Try resizing your pics they should load allot faster I have been in the same boat been 21/2 years and still going lots of help from the forum thanks guys just keep plugging along as JD said wish you were closer would be there in a heartbeat would love to find someone close to help me out.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I say that anything you aren't sure about, post pics and members can identify. I think we can get this car running and driving safely for graduation. I have good usable 326 emblems to contribute to the project. Also trunk weatherstrip, cowl weatherstrip, and other miscellaneous.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought I saw a GTO tail panel in one of your other posts. I'm glad it's still a Tempest and a post coupe at that. Don't give up. It just takes time...lots of it. I took 8 yrs to build my 67 post GTO. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like you are overwhelmed with the project. We have all been there, so don't worry.

The key to getting this done, with as little frustration as possible, is to be organized. Make sure everything is tagged, and bagged, and in a storage container (large plastic bins is what I use) with all the similar items. (Interior container, engine compartment container, dash container...etc) so when you need a part, you find it easily.

Next, break down the 'to do list' into small projects. (running fuel and brake lines, installing fuel tank, assembling brakes, install dash, install glass, ...etc...)

As you start to finish small jobs, you will build momentum, and soon you will be looking at the car and saying, 'look what I have done', rather than 'look what needs to be done'.

If there are any parts you don't know what they are for, post a pic here, we all like to play the 'What is this' game.

Take your time, try to finish each project you start, and soon it will not seem like a chore, but be enjoyable, after all, that's why we do this, enjoyment. (sometimes I wonder, but it is a great hobby)

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Andre;5078474]I must have missed most of that thread. I'll help the project out by sending you a good clean orignal distributor - gratis. If you have a list of some other stuff, I'll include it. No reason for this stuff to sit around here getting in the way.

I am going to follow Andre's lead and would be happy to donate a part or 2 you might need if I have them left over from my restoration.
If any of you other guys have extra parts sitting around you might consider this too. If we all donate one or 2 parts it could help this guy out.
Boostmaster, tell us what you need or PM me

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDirtRoad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll chip in. Boostmaster, post a list and I'll see what I might have as spares. I can send pictures and you can decide if you can use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All I can say is WoW! I'm truly surprised at the outpouring of help here. Not sure what else to say but Thank You. I told the "boss" and she didn't believe me!

As you guys could see from the pics the body was relatively rust free with exception of the floors (pin holes and all). So at this time the entire body is solid metal. While it was getting worked on I had the engine and trans done so it's really just a bunch of odds and ends that I need... (That and a full interior.)

The plan had been to paint the car the original color (Champagne) and go with the original interior color (Gold) but since we sprayed the hot rod black the "boss' has expressed that she sort of likes the mad max look- (I'm not sure how long that will last.)

I've not been able to compile a comprehensive list of what I NEED as I may not know that I need it... Here's few things for sure:

1. Tempest tail harness
2. Tempest engine harness
3. 326 emblems
4. gaskets for locks and handles
5. weatherstrip (I have the trunk rubber)
6. windshield
7. water pump (?)- I have the original one and it spins freely. Not sure how to test.
7.5 water pump divider
8. u-joints for the drive shaft
9. fuel pump
10. gas tank cap
11. fuel sending unit
12. radiator and fan shroud (?) Mine didn't come with one so I'm not sure it is supposed to have one.
13. belts and hoses
14. battery cables
15. distributor
16. Coil (I have the old one but it looks original- may be time for a new one)
17. Interior (upholstery, carpet, headliner, sail panels, non a/c kick panels, door sill, door panels, plastic water shields, arm rests top and bottom, visors, rear view mirror, trunk divider, etc.) Oddly, managed to source the seat belts.
18. Rear bench mounting brackets and hardware (New floor didn't have them- need to weld new pieces in)
19. Lower chrome trim clips (mine were rotten)
20. trunk mat, spare tire and jack
21. manual antenna
21.5. Single front mounted speaker (mine was rotten)
22. glove box (I have the door but there was nothing inside)
23. directional signal switch (my lever moves up and down but does not click)
24. I have a starter and alternator but they've not yet been tested
25. lap vents for a/c (I have the center and the sides)
26. engine mounts, trans mount
27. downpipes? (I have original manifolds, had single exhaust. Was going to do a dual exhaust but apparently need downpipes since headers are probably not useful to a stock 326
28. windshield washer pump(?) I have the original but it is untested
29. Master cylinder and booster (I have the original dual MC but no booster- not sure if necessary or not. Still using drums all the way around)
30. Power steering pump/reservoir(?) I have the original- not sure if there is a test for this to see if it's good or not.
31. 67 tempest hub caps (14" wheels right now)
32. heater core

I'm sure there will be more and if you don't see something mentioned that probably should be (maybe a common wear item or something like that), please let me know... Some of this stuff I just won't know I need until I need it.

Last edited by boostmaster; 12-07-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

gtospieg: As an answer to your inquiry. Yes, there was a GTO Tail but I had my shop save the tempest taillight holes and my new shop installed them for me... I was told that if I cloned this Tempest into a GTO that I would be put on some "list" so, I had to make sure not to upset the Pontiac community.

Besides, I managed to score a very nice set of Tempest tails.

Last edited by boostmaster; 12-07-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not a fan of the trunk mat, #20. I think that it's a place for condensation and rust to form.JMHO

Old 12-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I'm not a fan of the trunk mat, #20. I think that it's a place for condensation and rust to form.JMHO
I never thought about that. The car currently resides in a carpeted and climate controlled garage. Not sure I'd get much condensation. This is supposed to be a car for cruising on nice days. (no rain, no snow-only nice sunny days) I've been trying to get this as close to stock original as possible. (I even have the manuals and a comparable protect-o-plate)

Old 12-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I have some door sills, rear view, maybe a new fan belt or two, black visors. I also have a couple of extra black steering wheels that look better than yours. I have nothing Tempest specific as far as trim.
PM me an e-mail address and I'll try and get pictures Sunday.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

400 4spd.: PM sent

I was going to post more pics but I'm not sure what you guys need to see...

Right now I have bits and pieces bagged and tagged and I'm sure I'll run into a few issues.

But then I have some parts that are probably beyond saving like this (unless there is a way to simply pop in a new mirror):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tempest pics 003.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	345823  

Old 12-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just saw these parts. Not sure where they go:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tempest pics 001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	345826   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest pics 002.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	345827  

Old 12-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got to tell you that these guys can/will help you get your car on the road. Three years ago, about this time of year, I pulled my entire dash which was something I've never done before. I got staph infection and spent a week in the hospital. About 3 months after I got out I tried putting the dash back together and install it but I had Amnesia and couldn't remember a thing. With the help of PY'ers I got it all back together again and working fine. They will get you going!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First photo is the splash shield for the starter. it for a 4sp car only I think and mounts to the frame with (2) self taping bolts. the second photo it the lower brace that goes from fender to fender. The grilles sit above this piece.

Send me PM and I will put a care package to you.
I have mostly GTO stuff, no tempest at all but might have a few things you can use

Old 12-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post
First photo is the splash shield for the starter. it for a 4sp car only I think and mounts to the frame with (2) self taping bolts. the second photo it the lower brace that goes from fender to fender. The grilles sit above this piece.

Send me PM and I will put a care package to you.
I have mostly GTO stuff, no tempest at all but might have a few things you can use

Splash shield for the starter on a 4sp car? (Mines the 2 speed auto) That's weird, it was on my car for some odd reason. Good info on the second piece.. I have another piece that is similar that probably goes nearby.