Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Based on the few clues I have to work with, I'm going to guess the replacement of the water pump was done haphazardly and not torqued to spec, failing to seal properly resulting in coolant weeping by the gasket over time. You can check the bolts but you probably want to r/r and paint at the same time.
I was thinking that might be possible too. The entire gasket area looks kind of wet as does the area behind the timing cover. Maybe the guy didn't use any sealant on the gasket. Either way the key is always to clean first and then watch.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 11-26-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomike1967 View Post
Nice car Paul, congrats! Does the heater work? It was COLD on Saturday
I agree with everyone that all the things you mention are minor fixes. I personally think its fun to decode all this kind of stuff and do some work on the old cars.
Yes it does. It was 24 that morning. I didnt really notice it. I was too exited to drive it home. My wife thought for sure I was going to put the top down.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Based on the few clues I have to work with, I'm going to guess the replacement of the water pump was done haphazardly and not torqued to spec, failing to seal properly resulting in coolant weeping by the gasket over time. You can check the bolts but you probably want to r/r and paint at the same time.
I was just looking at it in the garage. I agree. Maybe a half asked job. Ill run it this weekend and see what happens after I wipe it down. Ive been doing that anyway just to see what kind of shape different area of the engine bay are in.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My engine is a full size Pontiac motor, not the original born with engine. It had a two barrel Rochester carb on it when I bought it, of course I didn't pay the big money for it and I am not afraid to drive it like a few of my other cars. The first thing I did was change out the intake manifold to a 66 4bbl one and bought a Carter carb. I hear that I need to find a 66 GTO engine as a replacement, and that is the plan. I thought that the full size block and the GTO block are somewhat the same, and that in 66 there is not a partial vin under the code. I know that they are coded differently, why is that? Different cam? I know the intake and carb swap didn't really change the performance on my car much, although I haven't tuned it since the swap. The engine has 091 heads and I believe the GTO motor had 093 heads. I have been advised that changing heads would not show much of an improvement in performance not sure why.

To get to my question: if I buy a 66 GTO engine instead of putting more money (acquiring heads, cam, distributor etc...) into my 66 full size 389, is all that it buys me, the correct code on the block?

Hope this is not taken as high jacking your thread. I'm just trying to gain information on the advantages of putting a NOM car back to as close to factory, when the original motor is long gone
Thanks for any advise.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Except for the codes, the blocks are the same. Although I got lucky and my cars are matching numbers, I don't think that its worth spending the money to change out the motor. I'll probably make members mad, but in my opinion, as long as the engine looks original,and performs well, I'm good with it. Now, if you want to go fast, then its a different ball game.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Charles, I agree with Andre. Make the best of what you have. Unless you are after a trophy at a Pontiac event, the numbers won't matter to anyone looking at it. Besides, if you go after a 66 GTO engine you also have to worry about date codes, matching carb, etc..

Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1966 Rally One Rims & Red Drums

Paul,
Looks like you have a bit of other things to work on long before dealing with rims & tires.
IMO and as stated those R1 rims look great and would/could look better with the goo wiped off the rubber and the drums detailed as factory, it will make the Rims POP.

Add to that a Red upper body stripe and it would all pull together.

Best of luck and do what YOU wish and enjoy the hell out of her!

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 03-08-2015 at 08:19 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Hamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Paul,
Looks like you have a bit of other things to work on long before dealing with rims & tires.
IMO and as stated those R1 rims look great and would/could look better with the goo wiped off the rubber and the drums detailed as factory, it will make the Rims POP.

Add to that a Red upper body stripe and it would all pull together.

Best of luck and do what YOU wish and enjoy the hell out of her!
Were the red brake drums just in 66 or did there do that in 65, 67 and 68? Its cool and Ive never seen that.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Were the red brake drums just in 66 or did there do that in 65, 67 and 68? Its cool and Ive never seen that.
I believe it was '66 only. My new '67 with Rally I's didn't have them.

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOBIL View Post
I believe it was '66 only. My new '67 with Rally I's didn't have them.
Someday Id like to see the other GTO's you have Bil. I'm a stacked headlight guy through and through.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a nice ride Paul.
Have you put a wrench on that water pump bolt to check for tightness?
I might loosen it off and rub a little sealer behind it and retighten it, just for laughs.
Can you get CCass to change your name to old brown 66. I'm struggling with the picture/name mismatch.......

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Looks like a nice ride Paul.
Have you put a wrench on that water pump bolt to check for tightness?
I might loosen it off and rub a little sealer behind it and retighten it, just for laughs.
Can you get CCass to change your name to old brown 66. I'm struggling with the picture/name mismatch.......
Thats Old Gold 66 David LOL.... But seriously, there may come a day when I get another car. And since blue is my fav color....

Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old Gold has a nice ring to it actually....

Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pul, no offense meant. I couldn't tell if the carb was a 2 or 4 in your first photos.... looked like a 2bbl to me.

In my mind you have a exceptional 66 GTO even with the few little problems it has. But I know you'll put it right... they way you want. It's your so fix it up and drive it the way you want. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
In my mind you have a exceptional 66 GTO even with the few little problems it has. But I know you'll put it right... they way you want. It's your so fix it up and drive it the way you want. Enjoy it to the fullest.
Yes, there are certain people on these forums that you know will raise their cars to the next level or even beyond.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Pul, no offense meant. I couldn't tell if the carb was a 2 or 4 in your first photos.... looked like a 2bbl to me.

None taken Gary. I value your opinion on these cars, that's why I asked the question.

Gobble Gobble (Thats turkey for Happy Thanksgiving!)

Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And a very Happy Thanksgiving you and yours Paul.... Also to everyone else here at PY and your families too.

Remember... "Plop plop fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Someday Id like to see the other GTO's you have Bil. I'm a stacked headlight guy through and through.
Since they're tucked away till Spring here's a preview:

Purchased in 1979, started frame off April 1,1983 still not done (30 years must be a record) this is how it looked a couple months back.

I bought this one as a basket case in 1982. Patti and I restored it (with help on the paint) in the Summer of 1985.

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 11-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
Yes, there are certain people on these forums that you know will raise their cars to the next level or even beyond.
Ross, Paul has an exceptional 66 there with only a few small problems. I know he'll have one hell of a good one once they're straightened out. He might prefer blue, but I've got a feeling this is one he'll hang on to. I've been told there aren't many Martinique Bronze 66 GTOs out there these days, and his in my book is special. If I could afford it, mine would be back to it's original color.... the same as his is. Maybe I should repaint mine blue and get him to swap with me. Naw.... that wouldn't happen. LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ross, Paul has an exceptional 66 there with only a few small problems. I know he'll have one hell of a good one once they're straightened out. He might prefer blue, but I've got a feeling this is one he'll hang on to. I've been told there aren't many Martinique Bronze 66 GTOs out there these days, and his in my book is special. If I could afford it, mine would be back to it's original color.... the same as his is. Maybe I should repaint mine blue and get him to swap with me. Naw.... that wouldn't happen. LOL

Did your car have a black top on it Gary?

I sent for the PHS. Im sure there wont be any surprises. But Im curious to see if the car came originally with the Rallye I's. If the motor was swapped out, who knows, maybe it could have been an air conditioned car with a tri-power originally.