Old 04-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Default Another strange one!

Ex-72,...THNX for more clarity! I thought Pont. always stamped-cast the SR somewhere on block. I haven't heard about the hand stamping: Iguess it might look the same depth, same VIN number'type'? I would have thought one of the experts I ta;lked to might have mentioned that.
...To me, it seems just as likely a GTO RA IV BLOCK , due to its Scarcity , could have been shipped to Van Nuys Assembly line..I can't remember_Did GM make some Camaros one assemb. line over? Weren't Trans Ams built along and during assembly of the Firebirds/Formulas? I don't Have my Paperwork handy. THNX!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

most of the SR stamps i've seen are near the outer lower corner of the block front. larger font than the VIN, more like the size of the engine code stamps.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 AM

Question

OK x-Bid 2...Can you pinpoint, even more? As you look at car on pass. side or driver's side; how far back...

Old 04-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/sh...rebird-Formula

go to the above link, in the photos for the car at the bottom of the collection is a picture of an SR stamp. it's typically off to the right side of the tc cover on the edge of the block on the passenger's side.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:19 PM

x-bird2,...Nope, nothing like it! Just what appears the factory stamped VIN, which doesn't look anything like those #s!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 PM

DSCN0258 by UBBSDave, on Flickr

DSCN0248 by UBBSDave, on Flickr
Youtube video of the numbers
Here they are.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would consider pulling the engine and cleaning the front of the block completely. your vin stamp font looks a little larger and out of place, usually it ran right next to and parallel with the tc cover, smaller font. there might be an SR somewhere else on the front of the block.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 PM

THNX!, ALL!...I'm having lots of E-Mail troubles as well! I'll Double check Front! As for trans. Vin. Exactly How far backfrom front?? Between Driver. side linkage (autom.).

Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 PM

Default x-Bird 2,...

If this was/is a SR block bare bones, would that add ANY Value to A 1970 Form. 400 ? Hood, Air Cleaner set up for RA, but I know these could be ordered at any time. If this car was a "DEALER PREPPED" RA III-IV, before it was sold, does that Add any value over a customer 'homemade' RA?? as I said, this car HAS MOST, if not ALL, date-coded RA III Parts! Intake, Head #s Rallye II's, 12 bolt rear end(BUT NOT POSI???) Weird Exhaust Manifold #s( one person thought from a larger bodied car?(GTO??) I believe the front AND Rear Sway bars ARE correct Diameter....15" Ra llye IIs BUT STRANGE Carb, Non orig. Distributor(old EMI unit?)..AND the TH 400 trans..BUT Fact.? A/C Like I said not knowing WHERE on firewall the VIN was when this all started 3 + years ago, I destroyed the EVAP. Cover: I still have all pieces AND pounds of what appears to be Factory Firewall GOOP! Cap Codes?? Where ??? Pull engine???

Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

Heres the location for the trans id
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	245024  

Old 05-21-2011, 10:18 PM

Default GRNMNTGOAT

OK...I THINK I've already Checked ..I'll get a snake camera up in there to really try! THNX! Neutral safety switch to the rt. ?..Looking up to the left is towards engine: I'm just DBBL/ checking.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBBSDave View Post
...To me, it seems just as likely a GTO RA IV BLOCK , due to its Scarcity , could have been shipped to Van Nuys Assembly line..I can't remember_Did GM make some Camaros one assemb. line over? Weren't Trans Ams built along and during assembly of the Firebirds/Formulas? I don't Have my Paperwork handy. THNX!
It's not likely that a GTO engine was shipped to a Firebird/Camaro assembly plant.

Firebirds (including Trans Ams) and Camaros were built on the same line at Van Nuys (not a separate line within the same plant). An overview of the production process can be seen here, if you are interested: http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 PM

Default RA IV Blocks?

So...It would seem theoretically possible that a Trans / Am RA IV Block COULD...Could have made it's way into a Firebird Formula 400, huh?! Plus...The VIN #s and Date code are Fairly close to the known RA IV XN autom. s per Pete McCarthy's book?, p. 48?EXAMPLE: L109296...My F-Bird Form. 400: L109863..??..I dunno'?Usually VINS were w/in 200-300 units of each other,...sooo not likely..But...:ar gue:

Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Also... From your recommended articles, it seems , at least for Camaro M(?-bigBlocks?)eng. codes were messed up , very rarely?..THNX, I'll peruse-pursue them more!!